The DVR shows how bad CBB officiating is. Jordan Taylor travels all the time and

oak_street1981

Reaction score
because he is a senior and a guard the officials just ignore it.

-on the "great" post move bank shot over Andre Hollins he slid his pivot foot, then changed his pivot foot after the dribble then faded away to shoot.

-Later some play by the sideline looked funky so I backed it up. Taylor caught the pass by the near sideline, proceded to hop without any dribble, then lifted up the pivot foot he established when he hopped (the one that landed first), then started to dribble after moving both feet.

How the officials miss all this then call traveling on any big man or young player right away I have no understanding of.

The UW flopping wasn't as bad as usual tonight. Actually Novak from Michigan has UW and Duke beat for bad defense being rewarded. Novak constantly runs under driving players, lifts his arms in the air, then slides under, chest bumps or moves side to side into the driving player, and gets the charge 60 percent of the time.

Officiating relative to years ago is awful.

I now see driving players leave their feet, then have the defender move under them after they jump and get he call. I see driving players jump to the side of the 'set" player, only to have the defender slide into the redirected path of the offensive player to create contact, fall down and get a call.

The fans generally do not like watching this garbage. I bet if you watch a North Carolina game from the Worthy/Jordan era or a game from even the early Clem Haskins era you will rarely if ever see these horrible charge calls made.

Then again if you watch an NFL game before 19

because he is a senior and a guard the officials just ignore it.

-on the "great" post move bank shot over Andre Hollins he slid his pivot foot, then changed his pivot foot after the dribble then faded away to shoot.

-Later some play by the sideline looked funky so I backed it up. Taylor caught the pass by the near sideline, proceded to hop without any dribble, then lifted up the pivot foot he established when he hopped (the one that landed first), then started to dribble after moving both feet.

How the officials miss all this then call traveling on any big man or young player right away I have no understanding of.

The UW flopping wasn't as bad as usual tonight. Actually Novak from Michigan has UW and Duke beat for bad defense being rewarded. Novak constantly runs under driving players, lifts his arms in the air, then slides under, chest bumps or moves side to side into the driving player, and gets the charge 60 percent of the time.

Officiating relative to years ago is awful.

I now see driving players leave their feet, then have the defender move under them after they jump and get he call. I see driving players jump to the side of the 'set" player, only to have the defender slide into the redirected path of the offensive player to create contact, fall down and get a call.

The fans generally do not like watching this garbage. I bet if you watch a North Carolina game from the Worthy/Jordan era or a game from even the early Clem Haskins era you will rarely if ever see these horrible charge calls made.

Then again if you watch an NFL game before 19

I agree - and it is not only the Badgers. I have noticed the trend of not calling the travel much at all. And I watch a lot of college bb.

I will argue the way they call the game in the Big 10 is what gives it such a bad perception. Fouls never get called in the paint and little touch fouls on the outside always do. It makes for no flow and players can't finish because they are being bumped or grabbed. Also, the inconsistency is unbelievable. Call nothing for 5 minutes then during another 5 minute stretch just staring at someone gets you a foul.

I agree - and it is not only the Badgers. I have noticed the trend of not calling the travel much at all. And I watch a lot of college bb.

I back the games up using the DRV a lot, and the charge calls and the traveling by guards is out of control.

If a player falls down, especially a small player, it is usually a charge regardess of whether or not there was any sort of defensive position established.

The old three point shooter's hop without dribbling before shooting the ball equally disturbing.Why is it when a big man looks awkward it is a travel, but a three point shooter can catch the ball, establish both feet on the ground , jump backwards or to the side without and dribble, within feet of the official with no call.

Often officials will give the defender the flop/ charge all the time, but when the defender slides under the dunker on an alley oop, or hits him in the head, they wait to see if the shot does not go in before calling a foul.

When did this bias towards flopping and taking charges take hold? I am so sick of watching UW badgers stick their arms in the air, thrust their torso forward into the driving player, fall down, and get rewarded with a charge call.

5 years ago? 10 years ago? 15 years ago?

It is getting worse and anyone with DRV service can see it all clearly.

A couple of posts I saw on Buckyville regarding officiating. And no, I don't have an account on Buckyville nor do I visit regularly, just wanted to see if they had anything to say about the Gophers after the game.

I assume both teams would agree that this game was ridiculously officiated. It was hard for either side to play with any confidence or momentum because every call was a total coin flip. The refs started out too passive; then blew a few calls; then had to huddle a few times to reverse calls (which installs no confidence in anyone); then started hearing chirping from both sidelines; then started calling everything. Honestly, just pick any style and stick with it and the players will adapt.

That was easily the worst officiated game of basketball I have ever witnessed in person. I am not joking when I say they probably called the right foul at the right time 60% of the time. Minnesota was getting absoluted hosed for about the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. I almost felt sorry for them.

I pay more attention when it's the fans of the winning team doing the complaining about refs.

I pay more attention when it's the fans of the winning team doing the complaining about refs.

Very good point, everybody gets hosed on a couple of calls, and if you lose (especially a close one) its easy to try to pin that on the refs. Every time I watch a game that any of my teams play in, I always try to remember a couple of bonehead plays my team makes so that I can say "alright, if we lose this one, I'm going to remember those plays when other people start to whine about the refs".

Case in point: MSU/Gophers football on Halloween in 20009. Poor officiating up and down the field from beginning to end.

Top Bottom