Thoughts on the new guys

What Up Guy

Reaction score
Long time reader guy, wanted to weight in...

We have only seen a little bit of the new guys, so its way early to pass judgement. I would like to hear what people are seeing on these guys, and where their careers at the U might go. I'll pop the cork on this:

Iverson- I was at the EWU game, and obviously he impressed. His game with the back to the basket was the best I have seen hear in a few years at the U. Very nice footwork, a good powerful presence on both ends of the court. His game is made for Big Ten basketball. I think he will be one of our best players throughout his career and a 4 year starter.

Sampson- I agree with most, he looks a soft right now. Against EWU, he got fouled and made the hoop, but it looked like he was attempting to place a newborn on top of the rim, not put the ball away with some authority. However, I have faith that Tubby will mold him well. He has a ton of potential, a lot of raw skill and agility you don't find in big men very often. If he can develop physically and bring more aggressiveness on both ends, he could be incredible. However, he has a longggg way to go and I think the grind of playing in the Big Ten will wear him down in year 1. Be patient.

Carter- Right now he has to be one of the most athletic guys on our team. Its refreshing to have a 6'8'' slasher type that we have lacked for a long time. His jumper might need work, but his athleticism will get him 10-12 points a game if he gets the minutes.

DB- He is a lot thicker than I would have thought, yet he still plays away from the basket a bit. I can't put my finger on the type of player he is and can be...there is some potential...I need to see more, but I view him as a potential solid contributer, probably not a starter.

Devoe- I think he is similar to Sampson, lots of potential, but he will have to adjust. Right away he will have to play within the offense, but in the future I see the offense going through him (and Iverson). I think we found ourselves a pure scorer on the outside. I am expecting a couple games this season where he goes off for 18 to 24, but a lot of games where he barely shows up in the box score.

This class, with next years class...mainly Royce and Trevor to start with and the guys we have returning next year will make us extremely dangerous. I dont want to start looking to next year though, as I think this team certainly should be contending in the Big Ten and looking to go to the tournament and make a little noise.

We have only seen a little bit of the new guys, so its way early to pass judgement. I would like to hear what people are seeing on these guys, and where their careers at the U might go. I'll pop the cork on this:

Iverson- I was at the EWU game, and obviously he impressed. His game with the back to the basket was the best I have seen hear in a few years at the U. Very nice footwork, a good powerful presence on both ends of the court. His game is made for Big Ten basketball. I think he will be one of our best players throughout his career and a 4 year starter.

Sampson- I agree with most, he looks a soft right now. Against EWU, he got fouled and made the hoop, but it looked like he was attempting to place a newborn on top of the rim, not put the ball away with some authority. However, I have faith that Tubby will mold him well. He has a ton of potential, a lot of raw skill and agility you don't find in big men very often. If he can develop physically and bring more aggressiveness on both ends, he could be incredible. However, he has a longggg way to go and I think the grind of playing in the Big Ten will wear him down in year 1. Be patient.

Carter- Right now he has to be one of the most athletic guys on our team. Its refreshing to have a 6'8'' slasher type that we have lacked for a long time. His jumper might need work, but his athleticism will get him 10-12 points a game if he gets the minutes.

DB- He is a lot thicker than I would have thought, yet he still plays away from the basket a bit. I can't put my finger on the type of player he is and can be...there is some potential...I need to see more, but I view him as a potential solid contributer, probably not a starter.

Devoe- I think he is similar to Sampson, lots of potential, but he will have to adjust. Right away he will have to play within the offense, but in the future I see the offense going through him (and Iverson). I think we found ourselves a pure scorer on the outside. I am expecting a couple games this season where he goes off for 18 to 24, but a lot of games where he barely shows up in the box score.

This class, with next years class...mainly Royce and Trevor to start with and the guys we have returning next year will make us extremely dangerous. I dont want to start looking to next year though, as I think this team certainly should be contending in the Big Ten and looking to go to the tournament and make a little noise.

I'm guessing that the 2 starting F for 2010 Gophers may come from Williams, White, and Mbakwe.

Iverson and Sampson III have been the most impressive newcomers, largely because, with Jon Williams out, they have the center position all to themselves.

Conversely, although I think Devoe Joseph has played as well as the rookie centers, he has Al Nolen, Lawrence Westbrook and Blake Hoffarber taking up minutes at guard.

Paul Carter had me convinced for one game (the Northern State exhibition) that he was the next Gopher star. But his shooting in every other game has been been shaky. On the plus side, PC has a lot of other attributes that will get him PT. Hurry back Paul.

Devron Bostick may have "earned" his extra minutes (as Tubby suggested) in the last game, but I have a hunch that Carter's injury influenced his additional PT too. But DB made the most of it and I expect to see more of the same in the future. Bostick is simply the Gophers best bet to get another athletic scorer on the court.

Excellent analysis, WUG, and I agree completely on all your points. Couldn't have put it better. If I were to differ on anything, it would be about Joseph and having to adjust. Of course the major college game is an adjustment, but I'd say he comes to us as a pretty polished product with a lot of BB IQ and feel for the game. That said, I think you're right that his stats will differ greatly from game to game; however, that will have as much to do with playing time as anything.

Welcome to the board, What up Guy!

Nice 1st post - I hope you keep on contributing!

We'll see how good Iverson and Sampson are when the Big 10 season begins. I like that Iverson is physical and defends the lane and seems to contest every shot. He needs polish and to develop his footwork. Sampson could wind-up being the prize of the class. He needs to get stronger, but he moves as good as any post I've seen play here. His ceiling is high.

Joseph should be a nice 1/2, but because of a lack of strength I think he'll struggle this year in conference play. He'll benefit from spending next summer on campus.

Bostick and Carter might be role players off the bench, 5-20 minute guys. It should be tougher next year for them to see the floor. Bostick looks like an instant offense gunner and Carter a versatile, live body. I'd like to see Bostick put the ball on the floor more and I don't see Carter as a finisher and he might not ever score much.

FOT-forwards in '10

While Mbakwe, White, and Williams are all highly regarded, I think it will be astounding if Damian Johnson is pushed out of the starting lineup as a senior. I'm only seeing the games through the box scores, but he continues to fill the box scores with solid numbers and I'm assuming he's still offering the defense, versatility, and other positive attributes that Tubby Smith prizes. Of course, we're talking about some pretty premium talent arriving in the three aforementioned players and you could be right, but I just have a tough time seeing DJ reduced to a bench player as a senior.

DJ will start the rest of this season and next. I think he has shown more improvement over the years than any other player on the squad. It's really hard to get a read on the new guys until a few games into the B10 season.

The strength of the squad is that there are 10-11 guys of roughly comparable abilities. The weakness is that, with the possible exception of Westbrook and even Bostick if he and Tubby can figure out how to get along, there is no one to go to when you've got to have a bucket at the end of a game. As much as I disliked McKenzie's game, he was the one guy last year who could score in a tough situation. We won't have that player until someone emerges, most likely not until next year.

The team is bigger, faster and stronger than what we are accustomed to. If the preseason schedule had been better thought out the gophers would likely get into the tourney. The weak preseason schedule means there is no margin of error in the B10. However, the program is definitely heading in the right direction.

Sampson III was good today. I suspect there will be many nights this year where we might have to come back to this night, because he fell off the map

LMac scored a big bucket once in a while because he chucked them without conscious. He was bound to make a few of them. I think Hoffarber and Westbrook are clutch. I imagine Joseph (and Royce next year) will get the opportunity to be that kind of player too.

While Mbakwe, White, and Williams are all highly regarded, I think it will be astounding if Damian Johnson is pushed out of the starting lineup as a senior. I'm only seeing the games through the box scores, but he continues to fill the box scores with solid numbers and I'm assuming he's still offering the defense, versatility, and other positive attributes that Tubby Smith prizes. Of course, we're talking about some pretty premium talent arriving in the three aforementioned players and you could be right, but I just have a tough time seeing DJ reduced to a bench player as a senior.

Maybe so. But those 3 are going to see lots of PT next season. Their talent level is a cut above.

LMac scored a big bucket once in a while because he chucked them without conscious. He was bound to make a few of them. I think Hoffarber and Westbrook are clutch. I imagine Joseph (and Royce next year) will get the opportunity to be that kind of player too.

Hoffarber isn't the guy because he can't create his own shot.

Someone needs to forward this thread to Harrison Barnes. We are going to be loaded with solid players in two years and he'd be the man for a "one and done" stay.

Reusse actually talked about this today stating we don't have a guy. I laughed when he mentioned Coleman sort of fitting that need. I know that DC, Tollackson, and LMac were locals, but I can't remember a Gopher team I disliked more than the last two years led by that core. Even though his non-conference schedule was a joke, Tubby winning 20 games with that crew might have been more impressive than his national championship.

Reusse actually talked about this today stating we don't have a guy. I laughed when he mentioned Coleman sort of fitting that need. I know that DC, Tollackson, and LMac were locals, but I can't remember a Gopher team I disliked more than the last two years led by that core. Even though his non-conference schedule was a joke, Tubby winning 20 games with that crew might have been more impressive than his national championship.

Tubby has 20+ W in the past 15 seasons. He's kind of used to it by now.

Tubby winning 20 games with that crew might have been more impressive than his national championship.

I've been wrestling with this the past few days - everything being equal would this years team beat last years team ?

This team would run last year's team off the court, literally. Tollackson could never keep up with Iverson or Ralph.

He created a pretty good one versus IU in Indy last March.

That was a catch and flip. He's very good at that. Creating your own shot is the ability to take the opponent off of the dribble. That is not Blake's strength.

That was a catch and flip. He's very good at that. Creating your own shot is the ability to take the opponent off of the dribble. That is not Blake's strength.

Though cutting to the basket and finishing, which Blake is much better at this year, should count as creating your own shot. Creating your own shot is much more than beating a guy off the dribble. Iif he can continue to lose his guy off the ball, it will make the team much better and make Blake much more dangerous.

I agree with Barn....and if Tollackson went to FT line he'd go 0 fer 8 anyway.

He had to get open to be able to catch and flip it. I think he's $$$ in the clutch.

Bottom line...... I like my chances better with Westbrook and Hoffarber this year taking a big shot than with LMac last year. I also think Iverson and Sampson will get big rebound board once in a while as Freshmen, we all remember too well what happened when we needed one from Tollackson and Coleman.

Lets just hope Mwbake pans out better than are other local refugees- Humphries, Boone, Coleman, Hargrove,etc.

Blake getting open had more to do with Coleman being a tacking dummy than anything Hoffarber did.

Top Bottom