Anders Broman scores 71 points … in a loss

Reserve

Reaction score
As reported by the Duluth News Tribune and a handful of other Minnesota sources, Lakeview (Minn.) Christian Academy junior standout Anders Broman scored 71 points in his team's 114-110 loss to Melrose (Minn.) High, a total that marked the second-highest single game total by an individual player in state history.

"It was a bittersweet game," Broman told the News Tribune of the loss. "I made a couple 3s to start the half, so I started feeling it. It felt like everything I shot would go in. I love when those days happen."

How good was Broman? He shot an incredible 67 percent in the game and scored 47 of his points during his team's furious second half comeback from a 16-point halftime deficit. He hit six of his eight three-pointers in that stretch as well.

That enormous scoring outburst came after one overtime period, but no more, a stunning statistic in itself. It's not often that a team reaches 100 points after multiple overtimes, let alone both squads scoring 100 after just one extra period.

All that comes before one considers the other significant marks hit by players in the game. Broman's younger brother, freshman point guard Bjorn Broman, had 14 assists, most of them to his brother. The Minneapolis Star Tribune also reported that Melrose's leading scorer, Scottie Stone, set a school record with 39 points in his team's win as well.

That Broman would provide the strongest offensive push comes as no huge surprise. The junior phenom became the youngest player in Minnesota history to reach 3,000 career points earlier in the 2011-12 season, and the 6-foot-1 guard is reportedly being recruited by the likes of Virginia Tech, Northwestern and San Diego State, among other schools.

After news of his 71-point explosion gets more traction, it seems likely even more coaches may be giving Broman a ring, too.

---------

There's a youtube attached to the article as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...anders-broman-scores-71-points-200757408.html

Is he not on our own radar? I'd rather have pretty good Minnesota kids than pretty good non-Minnesota kids. Besides, Wisconsin always seems to do wonders with our "leftovers". It would be nice to give them fewer.

Wisconsin always seems to do wonders with our "leftovers"

Not this again.

Please explain to me with solid facts how any of the below are MN "leftovers":
Mike Brusewitz
Jared Berggren
Jordan Taylor
Jon Leuer

If you're referring to any other MN players who played/are playing for WI - please enlighten us.

I'm sick of this "Bo Ryan wins with crap players" nonsense. Its a 100% pure garbage take.

Not this again.

Please explain to me with solid facts how any of the below are MN "leftovers":
Mike Brusewitz
Jared Berggren
Jordan Taylor
Jon Leuer

If you're referring to any other MN players who played/are playing for WI - please enlighten us.

I'm sick of this "Bo Ryan wins with crap players" nonsense. Its a 100% pure garbage take.

Yeah we get it - Bo Ryan got lucky the year he got Taylor and Leuer while our program was in the dumps. We'd do well to retain more MN kids, plain and simple. Two of our best players during Tubby's tenure were MN "leftovers" as well - Hoffarber and Nolen. They didn't turn out so bad. We'd win a lot more games with kids like Hoffarber and Nolen.

Looks like he's probably a very good shooter, but nothing about his video screams sure-fire Big Ten player. Then again highlight videos alone usually aren't a good way to accurately judge talent, so who knows?

Is he not on our own radar? I'd rather have pretty good Minnesota kids than pretty good non-Minnesota kids. Besides, Wisconsin always seems to do wonders with our "leftovers". It would be nice to give them fewer.

From what I've read, many think he's more of a D2, maybe small D1 player. Who knows though.

A friend of mine who follows small school high school basketball fairly closely said that Broman tends to cherry pick and get a lot of easy buckets because his teammates feeds him a lot, especially during blowouts. The one game he saw him play in person, he said there were a few instances where another player on the team had a layup but "made the extra pass" to get Broman more points. My buddy tends to exaggerate things so who knows if any of that is true.

Either way, 71 is a pretty good accomplishment.

By the way, what "leftovers" are you talking about?

the 6-foot-1 guard is reportedly being recruited by the likes of Virginia Tech, Northwestern and San Diego State, among other schools.

I was looking for a Rivals page on Broman. Not that I know s--t about recruiting but with a few major offers wouldn't it be likely that one would exist?

Hard to know if D1 or D2- the kid is a pure shooter. In post game shoot arounds the kid will hit 80-90% of his 3's. While he is the main man on the team they have played good competition where he is the total focus of the opponent's defense....and he still scores

Apparently neither him nor any other member of his team likes to play defense.

He is definitely faster than Jake Sullivan was for Tartan. The highlights of the second game may have been against Duluth East who have 3 division 1 players on it. Stafford and Woodard are big time guards.

Looks like he handles the ball well enough to play the point. Not sure I am in love with the converted off guards learning the point. He would probably be a nice shooter scorer off the bench.

Top Bottom