Tubby Smith Big 10 Teleconference

scher215

Reaction score
“@GophersNow: Tubby on the Big Ten teleconference: "(Indiana game) was one of the worst performances at home in a long time."”

“@AmeliaRayno: Tubby Smith on his veterans that were part of last year's collapse: "I would think they would understand how sickening that feeling is."”

“@GophersNow: Injuries to key players like Nolen, Walker and Mbakwe were not the reason for the late-season collapses the last two years, Tubby said.”

“@GophersNow: Tubby said there has been a carryover from last season as far as how his team handles losing psychologically. But what does he do about it?”

“@B1GMBBall: #Minnesota's Tubby Smith says team faces challenge with Wisconsin on the road, followed by last regular season game vs. Nebraska #B1G”

I have to give Smith some credit for not blaming the injuries for the late season collapses. Good to see.

bga1 said:
I have to give Smith some credit for not blaming the injuries for the late season collapses. Good to see.

That stuck out to me as well. I like that comment.

I'll just post this year as I don't know where else to

“@GophersNow: I've been hearing that Rodney Williams was sick last night and that was part of the reason he wasn't engaged. Does that soften criticism?”

I'll just post this year as I don't know where else to

“@GophersNow: I've been hearing that Rodney Williams was sick last night and that was part of the reason he wasn't engaged. Does that soften criticism?”
Not picking on you, but doesn't everyone get sick and tired of all the excuses. Rodney's sick, Ralph's ankle, Oto broke up with his girlfriend, and on and on. Just play BB as hard as you can. I for one can overlook a lot of things if a team plays hard and hustles. Look at people like Dusty R and Richard C who weren't the most talented players but they gave 100% and didn't make excuses. Whew-I got that off my chest.

Not picking on you, but doesn't everyone get sick and tired of all the excuses. Rodney's sick, Ralph's ankle, Oto broke up with his girlfriend, and on and on. Just play BB as hard as you can. I for one can overlook a lot of things if a team plays hard and hustles. Look at people like Dusty R and Richard C who weren't the most talented players but they gave 100% and didn't make excuses. Whew-I got that off my chest.
Agreed, excuses should be thrown out the window. Why does it seem as though no one over at the U gives crap about the fans? From Tubby to Maturi no one appears to care about their reputation or the reputation of the University and state! All they do is jack fans around with their excuses, delaying the inevitable, and make the athletic department and fans look like chickens#!t.

“@GophersNow: Injuries to key players like Nolen, Walker and Mbakwe were not the reason for the late-season collapses the last two years, Tubby said.”

That's really interesting considering this is the very crutch I (and many others) have given Tubby's staff to lean on in regards to the past two seasons. Does that mean that transfers like Cobbs, White, and Joseph are also not the reason for the collapses in Tubby's eyes? I guess I'm just equating the loss of impact players to the loss of more games.

If events like injuries and transfers (events totally or somewhat out of the control of the coach) aren't big reasons for the collapses of the past two years, then what is the reason? I'm reaching here, but that thought is a little scary.

920/414 Gopher said:

That's really interesting considering this is the very crutch I (and many others) have given Tubby's staff to lean on in regards to the past two seasons. Does that mean that transfers like Cobbs, White, and Joseph are also not the reason for the collapses in Tubby's eyes? I guess I'm just equating the loss of impact players to the loss of more games.

If events like injuries and transfers (events totally or somewhat out of the control of the coach) aren't big reasons for the collapses of the past two years, then what is the reason? I'm reaching here, but that thought is a little scary.

I think Tubby is first saying, there is no excuse for yesterday. But mostly saying, these guys won games before. They almost beat MSU. I think that alone shows it wasn't injuries. My guess is that he's saying the team is losing now due to
Mental and psychological issues and not lack of talent. Maybe he'd include coaching in there too? No clue. But, bottom line, I think he is saying the talent is there to win, but it's just not happening.

I think tubby really likes the talent of this team, even without Trevor. He even said the biggest shock of the big 10 season to him is that they weren't competing for the conference championship.

If he knows the talent is there, he's either gotta find a new way to motivate them or look in the
Mirror and change his coaching. If it isn't talent it's either players mentally or his coaching.

I think Tubby is first saying, there is no excuse for yesterday. But mostly saying, these guys won games before. They almost beat MSU. I think that alone shows it wasn't injuries. My guess is that he's saying the team is losing now due to
Mental and psychological issues and not lack of talent. Maybe he'd include coaching in there too? No clue. But, bottom line, I think he is saying the talent is there to win, but it's just not happening.

I think tubby really likes the talent of this team, even without Trevor. He even said the biggest shock of the big 10 season to him is that they weren't competing for the conference championship.

If he knows the talent is there, he's either gotta find a new way to motivate them or look in the
Mirror and change his coaching. If it isn't talent it's either players mentally or his coaching.

When you put it that way, I can see where Tubby might be coming from. There have been a lot of games down the stretch last season and this season that the Gophers were in a position to win, but just couldn't execute in the closing minutes (missed free throws, turnovers, and poor coaching all come to mind). It's made the past couple seasons all the more frustrating. I agree that the talent to compete is currently there, but they just haven't been able to get over the hump.

“@DarrenWolfson: Tubby: “We’ve got to make these guys tougher." Specifically cited Welch & Armelin. Wondered why Chip, an ex-football player, avoids contact.”

Tubby taking responsibility is a good thing. I give him credit.

“@AmeliaRayno: Tubby, on 1500's Tubby Smith Show, said the "urban environment" of Minneapolis has led to player distractions.”

“@AmeliaRayno: Tubby to 1500 ESPN “That’s why you almost have to be a control freak, as a coach at this day and time, as much as you can.””

“@AmeliaRayno: Tubby on 1500: “Here they have access to a whole lot of things. A lot of coaches that have worked here in the past they say (cont.)”

“@AmeliaRayno: Tubby on 1500: ""These are things you're going to have to concern yourself with.'" (cont.)”

“@AmeliaRayno: Tubby on 1500: "It happened to a few guys that are not here anymore. And then some that are still here.””

“@AmeliaRayno: Tubby on 1500: "I didn't clamp down hard enough, in my opinion ... that's what I think I can do differently in the future."”

“@AmeliaRayno: It sounds like Tubby is genuinely frustrated w/ at least some plyrs. He talks about trying to motivate them, and seeing no results. #Gophers”

Hopefully all these tweets mean a more "fire and brimstone" "let's effing do this" more motivated Tubby Smith and less "boy, this stool sure is comfy!"

Does every fanbase break down coach/player speak as much as this one?

Reminds me of Cheers:
KEVIN FOGERTY
Maybe we need someone to blame. Maybe if we pick some faceless person at city hall to be responsible for all our problems then we won't have to accept any responsibility at all. Well, people, I say now is the time to start looking in the mirror. Because... if this thing is going to work, we are all going to have to make it work. The way a bunch of people made something work at Lexington and Concord. You may remember it... it's called AMERICA.

FRASIER CRANE
But he didn't SAY anything! Thank you, people, for proving my point. The voters of Boston are sheep.

kind of confusing since I thought Tubby had previously had said that the "urban environment" was part of the selling point when recruiting.

scools12 said:
kind of confusing since I thought Tubby had previously had said that the "urban environment" was part of the selling point when recruiting.

It can obviously be both.

But really, kids can get in trouble anywhere. Look no further than Iowa City.

scools12 said:

It is if it's done safely, there are pro sporting events, malls, big city, etc.

I think he is speaking specifically about Royce (MOA), Trevor (getting arrested at the bar), Devoe (drug issue - allegedly) as well as other possible issues we have no idea about.

“@AmeliaRayno: I'll say this: a lush practice facility like the one Nebraska has probably makes players want to be THERE ... and not elsewhere. #Gophers”

I listened to the interview. It was interesting but also confusing and rambling. He's very confused how to get to these guys. I think deep down though he feels he would have had a good year with Mbakwe and Mo (as he said- his two most physical players. I don't think he believes it has anything to do with his systems. He's a good man without a doubt- big question is if he can connect with today's players and get them to enjoy doing things the Tubby way.

I would have much preferred if he would have spent more time talking about the upside for some of the players and the squad in the future. He did mention Buggs as a Damion Johnson type player.

It is if it's done safely, there are pro sporting events, malls, big city, etc.

I think he is speaking specifically about Royce (MOA), Trevor (getting arrested at the bar), Devoe (drug issue - allegedly) as well as other possible issues we have no idea about.

With Tubby's quote in mind, it's a little interesting to see Devoe and Royce doing well in (relatively) smaller college towns.

Also, bga, I'll take as many Damian Johnson types as we can possibly get. That's good news to hear.

920/414 Gopher said:
With Tubby's quote in mind, it's a little interesting to see Devoe and Royce doing well in (relatively) smaller college towns.

Also, bga, I'll take as many Damian Johnson types as we can possibly get. That's good news to hear.

If Devoe's issue was supposedly weed, he is in the weed mecca now in Eugene and from all reports has had no issues there.

Top Bottom