Who will be the next BB coach at the UofM?

Deleted_User

Reaction score
If Tubby goes to VCU (merely an unsubstatiated rumor -- so cool your jets), who (should) replace(s) him?

Last week I would have said the best possible Mid Major coach but after yesterday I would say Flip. We need a coach who knows Minnesota and whose ultimate loyalty and pride is the mission to restore/build (whichever your believe) this program because it represents both the university and state.

Seems like a strange time to ponder Tubby leaving for XXX University.

At this point I would take Flip over Tubby though.

Does Flip have the energy to revitalize a program? That's what I am wondering? If so I am for it. I am also for any up and comming mid major like Jacobsen, anyone with upper midwest ties.

Does Flip have the energy to revitalize a program? That's what I am wondering? If so I am for it. I am also for any up and comming mid major like Jacobsen, anyone with upper midwest ties.
If Flip steals JB Bickerstaff from McHale you get the player friendly guy who is willing to bust his butt. Here is what the staff would look like:
Flip
JB Bickerstaff
Don Zierden/ or someone more connected to college game
Ryan Saunders

I know it didn't quite work out with Brewster, but why doesn't this University give a top-level recruiter a try. All these mid-major names are great, but none would bring in consistent 4 star talent required to compete in the Big Ten. I'm not saying every class needs a several 150 players, but every class needs at least one top 150, 4-star prospect to compete. If you look at the traditional "bottom-feeders" in the B1G, they are all littered with 3 star talent. It's no secret, recruiting is the lifeblood of a basketball program. It's nearly impossible to win consistently (unless you're Wisconsin) with 2/3-star level players.

I think hiring Flip would be similar (but not quite the same) to when Iowa State hired Fred Hoiberg. He re-vitalized the program almost overnight with an influx of transfers. He knew exactly what he was doing. Flip -- also an NBA guy like Fred -- would have similar loyalty from the fans. I honestly think Flip Saunders would have a chance to win because he would be able to convince some of the top level players in the Midwest to give Minnesota try because of his professional basketball background.

This program is treading down a dangerous path building future teams around 3 star prospects.

If Flip steals JB Bickerstaff from McHale you get the player friendly guy who is willing to bust his butt. Here is what the staff would look like:
Flip
JB Bickerstaff
Ryan Saunders

How is this staff any different from the current one?

Can we please stop wasting valuable aast. coaching positions on the head coach's son?

I know it didn't quite work out with Brewster, but why doesn't this University give a top-level recruiter a try. All these mid-major names are great, but none would bring in consistent 4 star talent required to compete in the Big Ten. I'm not saying every class needs a several 150 players, but every class needs at least one top 150, 4-star prospect to compete. If you look at the traditional "bottom-feeders" in the B1G, they are all littered with 3 star talent. It's no secret, recruiting is the lifeblood of a basketball program. It's nearly impossible to win consistently (unless you're Wisconsin) with 2/3-star level players.

I think hiring Flip would be similar (but not quite the same) to when Iowa State hired Fred Hoiberg. He re-vitalized the program almost overnight with an influx of transfers. He knew exactly what he was doing. Flip -- also an NBA guy like Fred -- would have similar loyalty from the fans. I honestly think Flip Saunders would have a chance to win because he would be able to convince some of the top level players in the Midwest to give Minnesota try because of his professional basketball background.

This program is treading down a dangerous path building future teams around 3 star prospects.

Why do so many people think Wisconsin's players are all 2/3 star recruits? I don't get it. They get high 3-stars and 4-stars with the occasional 5-star. I'll never understand this misconception.

Flip
JB Bickerstaff
Ryan Saunders

Flip
TT
Q

How is this staff any different from the current one?

Can we please stop wasting valuable aast. coaching positions on the head coach's son?
I view Flip as an upgrade and JB (did good hard work with player development with Wolves), Zierden and Ryan Saunders were throw ins because they currently work for the Wizards. Obviously don't want anything to do with Wittman...

Why do so many people think Wisconsin's players are all 2/3 star recruits? I don't get it. They get high 3-stars and 4-stars with the occasional 5-star. I'll never understand this misconception.

They are 2 star athletes and 3 and 4 star players. When you watch them in action you see two stars. When you see the final score you see 4 stars.

I've said it many times, but I don't think recruiting has been Tubby's biggest problem. Even now, talent is not why we're 5-11 in my opinion. Talent isn't the reason we choke in pressure situations. The two biggest issues in my mind is transfers and lack of development.

Right now, they have just one 4-star recruit (according to rivals) on their roster.

They are 2 star athletes and 3 and 4 star players. When you watch them in action you see two stars. When you see the final score you see 4 stars.

Yeah I guess I do see why people can get confused because none of their players jump out as typical big-time prospects coming out of high school, but what confuses me is how people can get corrected so many times and still not get it.

Not just the energy (that's a legitimate concern though since he's almost 60), but he hasn't recruited since the early 1980's & I imagine (?) he hasn't been out kissing AAU coach ass. I almost think he have to go with a young up and comer if Tubby doesn't get 'er done next season.

Right now, they have just one 4-star recruit (according to rivals) on their roster.

I'm talking overall in recent memory, not just this year, but in his post he seems to refer 3-stars as different than top 150 prospects (101-150 are 3-stars), so I assume when he says 3-stars, he means unranked 3-stars. If not then he is contradicting himself (but I don't think that's the case). Jordan Taylor and Mike Bruesewitz were top 150 and Berggren was a 4-star on Rivals. Not sure where he ended up in final rankings, but Evan Anderson used to be a 5-star. Kaminsky and Uthoff (although he isn't playing yet) were 4-stars on ESPN I believe. In the recent past they have had a lot of 4-star players (Leuer, Bohannon, and Hughes quickly come to mind, but there were plenty more) and at least a couple 5-stars including Joe Krabbenhoft and Brian Butch (who believe it or not, was a top 10 player). Also, Ryan Evans is their only 2-star scholarship player, so saying Wsiconsin "consistently wins with 2/3 star recruits" is completely misleading and untrue.

Edit: Forgot to mention they are also bringing in a 5-star next season in Sam Dekker. I'm sure he will be referred to as a 3-star by a lot of people before his career is over though.

I've said it many times, but I don't think recruiting has been Tubby's biggest problem. Even now, talent is not why we're 5-11 in my opinion. Talent isn't the reason we choke in pressure situations. The two biggest issues in my mind is transfers and lack of development.

Mostly agree. It's not recruiting. It's retention (this can be corrected) & youth (which gives me hope for next year).

Flip
JB Bickerstaff
Ryan Saunders

Why not pass on Flip & just go with Bickerstaff?

every class needs at least one top 150, 4-star prospect to compete

These two terms are not synonymous. There are many top 150 recruits who are not 4-stars. Then again, since you are such a recruiting expert, I'm sure you already know that.

Head Coach: Flip Saunders
Assistant Coach: Trent Tucker
Associate assistant: JB Bickerstaff
Junior assistants: Ryan Saunders, Quincy Lewis

This is true, but they also have only one 2-star on their roster (Ryan Evans). "Big" Gopher "Fan" makes it sound like they're winning with guys they picked up off the intramural squad. Nearly every scholarship player on the roster had multiple BCS offers coming out of HS.

Eric Mussleman would put the Gophers back on the map. ( See New York Knick's Lin comment on Eric) The program needs an enama. Flip is 57 years old and looks 70.The NBA has beat him up. You want to return to the thrilling days of yesteryear, see the Barn the hotest ticket in town? Go after Mussleman.

Eric Mussleman would put the Gophers back on the map. ( See New York Knick's Lin comment on Eric) The program needs an enama. Flip is 57 years old and looks 70.The NBA has beat him up. You want to return to the thrilling days of yesteryear, see the Barn the hotest ticket in town? Go after Mussleman.

Great idea. Mussleman [sic] has literally no college coaching experience. I don't mean "no college coaching experience" as in Flip's assistant coaching experience 25 years ago, I mean literallly no college coaching experience at all. Even as an assistant. Zip. Zero. Nada. And if that wasn't enough, you can add "abject failure as an NBA head coach" to his resume as well.

??? Where do people come up with this stuff?

Great idea. Mussleman [sic] has literally no college coaching experience. I don't mean "no college coaching experience" as in Flip's assistant coaching experience 25 years ago, I mean literallly no college coaching experience at all. Even as an assistant. Zip. Zero. Nada. And if that wasn't enough, you can add "abject failure as an NBA head coach" to his resume as well.

I would suggest you read his resume and then comment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Musselman#Coaching_career

If Tubby goes to VCU (merely an unsubstatiated rumor -- so cool your jets), who (should) replace(s) him?

It begs the question, how mentally impaired do you have to be to believe that
VCU would want Tubby?

Whathavewedone said:
It begs the question, how mentally impaired do you have to be to believe that
VCU would want Tubby?

If smart leaves for Illinois they might. He was an assistant there a long time back. May let him coach 2-3 years and retire.

Top Bottom