Doogie column: Embarrassing loss is evidence Tubby Smith has checked out

Well done article. Fully agree with all of it.

I know it's a rough year, but what happened to the Tubby Smith in the boxing gear that was excited about coaching again.

We could really use that guy.

Well done article. Fully agree with all of it.

I know it's a rough year, but what happened to the Tubby Smith in the boxing gear that was excited about coaching again.

We could really use that guy.

Your tune has changed in one week. I took nothing but abuse from you and others for having many of the same sentiments. Begging for me to get banned. Sad.

Sadly, that sums it up. I've pretty much had it with Tubby, but I don't know what the solution is. Hard to fire a coach when you don't even have an AD in place to hire the next one. Something needs to be done to re-energize the entire program and give guys like Tyus and Rashad reason to stay home.

minngg said:
Your tune has changed in one week. I took nothing but abuse from you and others for having many of the same sentiments. Begging for me to get banned. Sad.

For the last time, NO ONE "abused" you because of your opinion. It was because you made the same comment 7 times on every thread and now take great joy in the gophers losing because you get to say "I told you say" all over gopher hole and be immature calling everyone out. It has nothing to do with your opinion, but with the way you articulate it.

scher215 said:
For the last time, NO ONE "abused" you because of your opinion. It was because you made the same comment 7 times on every thread and now take great joy in the gophers losing because you get to say "I told you say" all over gopher hole and be immature calling everyone out. It has nothing to do with your opinion, but with the way you articulate it.
I agree - this clown won't shut up about Tubby.

I have always been a big Tubby supporter, and I still am. I think it would be insane to try to get rid of him, and I still think he is one of the top coaches in the business. That game today has my head spinning though.

I never thought I would see Tubby give up, but it sure looked like he did today.

We need to bounce back in a big way against Becky. If Tubby has people like me who love him to death questioning what the heck is going on, that is a terrible sign.

You better look back. That is not the truth. I was jumped on early and often. Also, I did not say the same thing every post. The number of excuses for Tubby are numerous. It takes time to address all of them.

You better look back. That is not the truth. I was jumped on early and often. Also, I did not say the same thing every post. The number of excuses for Tubby are numerous. It takes time to address all of them.

You may have slightly changed some adjectives here and there, but for the most part you were (and are) pretty much a broken record.

Good observations by Doogie, is Crean the Pat Fitzgerald of this tragedy?

I think minngg is turning into the wren of this board, anywys today was tough to watch, kinda predictable though, sometimes after a game like the sparty game, a team just doesn't have anything to give, I feel like the team had alot of decent looks just the buckets weren't dropping in the grand scheme of things they held a high scoring IU team to 69 points, that's number where with competent shooting, you should have a chance win, but knowing this team, they could go to Madtown and get throttled by 35 or they could pull an upset, you never know with these young teams and the nice thing is they only have a couple days to dwell on it, Playing ASAP is probably the best thing for this team and they'll have the opportunity on Tuesday, hopfully they make the most of it, today felt alot like the Purdue game and the Wiscky game feels like the first IU game :)

I long for the days when Kevin McHale was lazy and Tubby Smith motivated.

Yes, indeed it has.

Wont acknowledge it, but it is true.

BarnBurner said:
Yes, indeed it has.

Wont acknowledge it, but it is true.

I'm sorry, am I not allowed to reconsider opinions due to new information becoming available? Do you still think certain Toyota's have flawless breaks?

I still don't know if firing Tubby is the best option due to no AD and no practice facility. Plus, it'll be hard to lure in a coach with out him knowing who his boss will be. It is still best for MN if Tubby turns it around next year and not a different coach. However, the team on the floor and coach on the floor were more defeated than ever before and just looked mentally and physically done.

This season is spiraling downwards. We've reached the point where any tournament, NIT, or anything hopes have all but died on this season.

I'll still give Tubby one more year, not extend him, or do so at a high incentive / low buyout deal and hope he finally gets it figured out.

Just a little less optimistic about it happening now, but crazier things have happened.

I'm sorry, am I not allowed to reconsider opinions due to new information becoming available? Do you still think certain Toyota's have flawless breaks?

I still don't know if firing Tubby is the best option due to no AD and no practice facility. Plus, it'll be hard to lure in a coach with out him knowing who his boss will be. It is still best for MN if Tubby turns it around next year and not a different coach. However, the team on the floor and coach on the floor were more defeated than ever before and just looked mentally and physically done.

This season is spiraling downwards. We've reached the point where any tournament, NIT, or anything hopes have all but died on this season.

I'll still give Tubby one more year, not extend him, or do so at a high incentive / low buyout deal and hope he finally gets it figured out.

Just a little less optimistic about it happening now, but crazier things have happened.

You are allowed to do anything you want.

You have turned in the last week, and have went from defending ots to the nth degree to this. Anyone who typed anything the least bit against ots and you jumped.

Change.

Doogie said: "Assuming Smith survives a second consecutive disaster -- he has a $2 million buyout until May 1 -- a staff shakeup is necessary. "

Question: What is the buyout after May 1st?

BarnBurner said:
You are allowed to do anything you want.

You have turned in the last week, and have went from defending ots to the nth degree to this. Anyone who typed anything the least bit against ots and you jumped.

Change.

That's where you're wrong. I do not and never have defended everything Tubby. Never once have I said he is the perfect coach.

However, when people claim things as fact that isn't, I will correct it I have stats / data to support it. It's that simple. I'm sorry if the stats have a tubby-bias as well. Do I support and like tubby though? Absolutely. Unfortunately, it looks like things are headed downward right now and if they aren't turned around next year it will be an interesting decision to make, one that I will fortunately have nothing to do with.

bga1 said:
Doogie said: "Assuming Smith survives a second consecutive disaster -- he has a $2 million buyout until May 1 -- a staff shakeup is necessary. "

Question: What is the buyout after May 1st?

I think it goes down to 1.5? Not positive though.

Doogie did also tweet yesterday that (PURE SPECULATION) the topic on press row was Illinois hires Shaka smart and Tubby goes to VCU.

I have always been a big Tubby supporter, and I still am. I think it would be insane to try to get rid of him, and I still think he is one of the top coaches in the business. That game today has my head spinning though.

I never thought I would see Tubby give up, but it sure looked like he did today.

We need to bounce back in a big way against Becky. If Tubby has people like me who love him to death questioning what the heck is going on, that is a terrible sign.

What's insane is to look at the evidence of 5 years here and then think he should be kept. Unless of course never being competitive in the Big 10 suits you.

Whathavewedone said:
What's insane is to look at the evidence of 5 years here and then think he should be kept. Unless of course never being competitive in the Big 10 suits you.

Look at the evidence of the first 3 years and there is no way you DON'T keep him. Look at the last 2 years here, and you have an argument.

This is what drives me nuts, it's not like 5 years have been a failure. Two have. His first 3 were very successful at Minnesota. The last two have been very disappointing.

You may have slightly changed some adjectives here and there, but for the most part you were (and are) pretty much a broken record.

Broken record? That put down is so old and dated it needs to be retired and deep sixed. And, how do you "slightly" change adjectives? Your exposition needs an upgrade.

I think it goes down to 1.5? Not positive though.

Doogie did also tweet yesterday that (PURE SPECULATION) the topic on press row was Illinois hires Shaka smart and Tubby goes to VCU.

Maybe we can trade Tubby for Smart straight up

jamalo said:
Maybe we can trade Tubby for Smart straight up

I like coach Smith don't get me wrong, and i think he is a good coach, but Shaka Smart I think is a gem. I'd love to have him coach any of my favorite teams.

I'd take that trade every time.

Look at the evidence of the first 3 years and there is no way you DON'T keep him. Look at the last 2 years here, and you have an argument.

This is what drives me nuts, it's not like 5 years have been a failure. Two have. His first 3 were very successful at Minnesota. The last two have been very disappointing.

I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption to think that most any new hire
would have reversed the direction of the program oer the first couple of seasons.
Just a change period will usually result in improvement when things are that bad.
But there's certainly been no trend upward over 5 years. And alibi over injuries if you want, the trend is acutally a swift plateau followed by decline.

I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption to think that most any new hire
would have reversed the direction of the program oer the first couple of seasons.

Based on what? Minnesota's illustrious basketball history? Outside of his last 2 seasons (the last one technically counting against Molinari except for the first 7 games), Monson's tenure was more or less in line with Minnesota's performance historically. The problem is that most Gopher fans apparently don't realize that Minnesota is traditionally a pretty poor basketball program. Why should random coach X be expected to improve upon the historical standards of the program?

Is your enter key still on the fritz?

I think minngg is turning into the wren of this board, anywys today was tough to watch, kinda predictable though, sometimes after a game like the sparty game, a team just doesn't have anything to give, I feel like the team had alot of decent looks just the buckets weren't dropping in the grand scheme of things they held a high scoring IU team to 69 points, that's number where with competent shooting, you should have a chance win, but knowing this team, they could go to Madtown and get throttled by 35 or they could pull an upset, you never know with these young teams and the nice thing is they only have a couple days to dwell on it, Playing ASAP is probably the best thing for this team and they'll have the opportunity on Tuesday, hopfully they make the most of it, today felt alot like the Purdue game and the Wiscky game feels like the first IU game :)

this just might be the biggest stretch ever to put a positive spin on a performance in which the team and coach simply quit. but hey they only gave up 69 points.

Based on what? Minnesota's illustrious basketball history? Outside of his last 2 seasons (the last one technically counting against Molinari except for the first 7 games), Monson's tenure was more or less in line with Minnesota's performance historically. The problem is that most Gopher fans apparently don't realize that Minnesota is traditionally a pretty poor basketball program. Why should random coach X be expected to improve upon the historical standards of the program?
Is your enter key still on the fritz?

Pretty poor? OK.

That is THE reason tubby was hired. Random? HOF tubby?

Comical.

Top Bottom