Tubby: "The guys you have, you have...I guess they gave it their best effort."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Tubby: "The guys you have, you have...I guess they gave it their best effort."

"Ralph was struggling to score. Rodney, he’s not looking to score. So this is what you get," coach Tubby Smith said. "This is how poorly and how badly it can be if you don’t do those things. Something else was going on, in [Rodney's] mind. He just wasn’t there today at all. Just by far – he wasn’t there."

"The guys you have, you have," coach Tubby Smith said. "So you say ‘OK Rodney’, ‘OK Ralph, it’s sort of your team, you need to step up. And they tried. They tried. And I guess they gave it their best effort."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/140501483.html

Go Gophers

Coach

"The coach you have, you have," coach Tubby Smith said. "So you say ‘OK Tubby’, ‘OK Tubby, it’s sort of your team, you need to step up. And he tried. He tried to get up off his stool. And I guess he gave it his best effort."

It just was not good enough.

The guys you have, you picked

Nah, the guys who left just weren't receptive to the message. Totally their fault; nothing on Tubby. If Dre bolts in the offseason, it will be his fault for not being receptive, nothing on Tubby.

Nah, the guys who left just weren't receptive to the message. Totally their fault; nothing on Tubby. If Dre bolts in the offseason, it will be his fault for not being receptive, nothing on Tubby.

Consider your repetitive message well-received. Go find something else to do with your day.

920/414 Gopher said:
Consider your repetitive message well-received. Go find something else to do with your day.
I say Jamello Mr. Negativity just goes away!

"Ralph was struggling to score. Rodney, he’s not looking to score. So this is what you get," coach Tubby Smith said. "This is how poorly and how badly it can be if you don’t do those things. Something else was going on, in [Rodney's] mind. He just wasn’t there today at all. Just by far – he wasn’t there."

"The guys you have, you have," coach Tubby Smith said. "So you say ‘OK Rodney’, ‘OK Ralph, it’s sort of your team, you need to step up. And they tried. They tried. And I guess they gave it their best effort."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/140501483.html

Go Gophers

What the #$%!%#!! is this? Are you kidding me? It's sort of your team? I guess they gave it their best effort? Just take responsibility for this mess and stop trying to talk around it. Everyone, including coach Smith, his staff and the players, did a miserable job. Step up to the plate, own it and pledge to never let it happen again. Maybe if the coach, his staff and the players had given as much effort during the game as they have in trying to explain whose fault it was, they would have been competitive today.

Smith's comments are atrocious to the point that you wonder if he's trying to get fired, collect a buyout and head off into retirement.

Smith's comments are atrocious to the point that you wonder if he's trying to get fired, collect a buyout and head off into retirement.

He sounds defeated, tired, and possibly just given right up. No matter, he shouldn't sound like that, and it hurts me on a personal level to see him and most especially this Gophers program leveled so low as that. It's just intimately painful, and honestly, if this is where Tubby is at, then I wish he'd just do the right thing and walk away.

Thats great, throw your team under the bus in the local newspaper..... Nobody important going to read that.

This guy is a joke.

Give me an up and comming mid major coach anyday I am sick of tubby.

Give me an up and comming mid major coach anyday I am sick of tubby.

His record with players that are aggressive minded is troubling: Joseph, Iverson and Cobbs-left. Carter I wonder about. Bostick, Armelin, and Westbrook all had issues with blending into Tubby's system. The guys that stay are the not so aggressive guys he's complaining about. Not a good situation. Mbakwe is one exception- a guy who was both aggressive and meshed with Tubby.

I wish Tubby would stop talking. Why can't he just give the "same old, same old" coach speak?

Different circumstances, but I had a flashback yesterday to the last days of Monson. It was a lifeless team and there was simply no energy in the building. It was a team that, at least for Indiana, had quit competing. Now these comments from Tubby are like he's quit also. Don't have a good feeling about all the comments from coach and players lately.

Next three games might be pretty revealing. If we get blown out at Wisconsin, lose to Nebraska, and exit quickly in the Big 10 tournament, we might really be screwed. Tubby very well could be back as a lame-duck coach and I could see a couple of important transfers and Rodney heading off to Europe.

Ever the optimist though, I'm hoping yesterday was a one game reaction to a really disappointing loss in a season of them. These guys have competed hard if not wisely most of the season without their best player. Moral victory at Wisconsin, beat Nebraska, and win a game or two in the tournament is also a very possibility. Everybody important comes next year and there are no injuries or dramas and Tubby gets things back on track. I'm nervous, but that's the best hope.

At two million a year and with that buy-out, I don't see Tubby leaving. This is different than Kentucky in that, sadly, I don't think he has anywhere to go. Flip ain't going to ride in here on a white horse either and rescue us IMO. These guys have egos even if a few folks here do like to dream. So, ya, a gamble on a mid major coach might pay off, but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen barring a complete meltdown, and even then we'd probably still stumble along. Man, it seems like only yesterday when I got several phone calls in a row from people all excited because Tubby Smith was coming to Minnesota! The first one was from my brother because he couldn't believe it was true since Minnesota couldn't be that lucky.

Different circumstances, but I had a flashback yesterday to the last days of Monson. It was a lifeless team and there was simply no energy in the building. It was a team that, at least for Indiana, had quit competing. Now these comments from Tubby are like he's quit also. Don't have a good feeling about all the comments from coach and players lately.

Next three games might be pretty revealing. If we get blown out at Wisconsin, lose to Nebraska, and exit quickly in the Big 10 tournament, we might really be screwed. Tubby very well could be back as a lame-duck coach and I could see a couple of important transfers and Rodney heading off to Europe.

Ever the optimist though, I'm hoping yesterday was a one game reaction to a really disappointing loss in a season of them. These guys have competed hard if not wisely most of the season without their best player. Moral victory at Wisconsin, beat Nebraska, and win a game or two in the tournament is also a very possibility. Everybody important comes next year and there are no injuries or dramas and Tubby gets things back on track. I'm nervous, but that's the best hope.

At two million a year and with that buy-out, I don't see Tubby leaving. This is different than Kentucky in that, sadly, I don't think he has anywhere to go. Flip ain't going to ride in here on a white horse either and rescue us IMO. These guys have egos even if a few folks here do like to dream. So, ya, a gamble on a mid major coach might pay off, but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen barring a complete meltdown, and even then we'd probably still stumble along. Man, it seems like only yesterday when I got several phone calls in a row from people all excited because Tubby Smith was coming to Minnesota! The first one was from my brother because he couldn't believe it was true since Minnesota couldn't be that lucky.

Your brother was right.

Had the same flashback yesterday. Tons of empty seats, lackluster effort, quiet ornery fans.

I wish Tubby would stop talking. Why can't he just give the "same old, same old" coach speak?

Correct. There has to be a way to say that "the future is bright, these guys have a lot of work to do yet but the team will see brighter days ahead, despite today's play..." Saying "we have the guys we have" is fatalistic and conotes uncorrectable flaws.

I had the same feeling. Yesterday was the Clemson game (Monson's last) all over again.

Correct. There has to be a way to say that "the future is bright, these guys have a lot of work to do yet but the team will see brighter days ahead, despite today's play..." Saying "we have the guys we have" is fatalistic and conotes uncorrectable flaws.
His mama told not to lie!

At two million a year and with that buy-out, I don't see Tubby leaving. This is different than Kentucky in that, sadly, I don't think he has anywhere to go.
I really like Tubby and think that when he is on his game, he is as good a coach as anyone in the country. I also still think we are closer to being a good team than many realize.

After yesterday, however, I had some similar thoughts to what you posted running through my mind. What if Tubby really has checked out? As good a coach as he is, if he has given up and wants to just coast into retirement, then that is a horrible situation for us to be in. I don't think it is feasible to fire him, neither do I think he deserves to be fired, but if this becomes the norm, then that is a really scary thought.

At this point, I am hoping for an energized performance against Becky. I would love to see an upset, but I could live with just playing hard and being competitive throughout. Do that, then we have a chance to build a little momentum heading into the post-season and could even make a run in the NIT or CBI.

It wouldn't be where I want us to be, but it would be much, much better than where we are right now, and would help push whatever doubts I am now having out of my mind.

I really like Tubby and think that when he is on his game, he is as good a coach as anyone in the country. I also still think we are closer to being a good team than many realize.

After yesterday, however, I had some similar thoughts to what you posted running through my mind. What if Tubby really has checked out? As good a coach as he is, if he has given up and wants to just coast into retirement, then that is a horrible situation for us to be in. I don't think it is feasible to fire him, neither do I think he deserves to be fired, but if this becomes the norm, then that is a really scary thought.

At this point, I am hoping for an energized performance against Becky. I would love to see an upset, but I could live with just playing hard and being competitive throughout. Do that, then we have a chance to build a little momentum heading into the post-season and could even make a run in the NIT or CBI.
It wouldn't be where I want us to be, but it would be much, much better than where we are right now, and would help push whatever doubts I am now having out of my mind.

I understand the rational but I would hope that they would politely decline an invitation to the CBI.

It's always the players fault... It's not the system, but the players. Right Tubby?

He sounds defeated, tired, and possibly just given right up. No matter, he shouldn't sound like that, and it hurts me on a personal level to see him and most especially this Gophers program leveled so low as that. It's just intimately painful, and honestly, if this is where Tubby is at, then I wish he'd just do the right thing and walk away.

I'm wondering if the cancer hasn't become an issue again. He almost seems disconnected at times. Your body can continue to fight the disease long after it is supposedly cured, that can really be draining.

I'm wondering if the cancer hasn't become an issue again. He almost seems disconnected at times. Your body can continue to fight the disease long after it is supposedly cured, that can really be draining.

Well that would just be the worst case scenario, wouldn't it, as I feel badly enough as is. It would only make me feel all the worse to learn that this were somehow a result of health, and I pray it's not. All I know is what I see, and I know for a fact that Tubby is a good man and a hell of a basketball coach, but this level of resignation, defeat and tiredness we're seeing from him, the equivalent of him throwing his hands up in the air and saying "I don't know what the hell's the matter anymore", it's just an epic drag, and it makes me feel flipping horrible not only for him but even more so for this program. It's wrenching to see this, and to realize that he deserves much better, but so do we.

There are no easy answers, ever. All you can do is hope and pray that no matter what, things just work out the best, for all of us and everyone.

Tubby has never, NEVER, displayed any coaching acumen that would suggest he's
"as good as anyone in the country". To simply WATCH his in-game coaching is to easily dispell that notion. And when you couple his failure to develop players (a
shortcoming that is by no means limited to the Gopher program) exactly WHAT
is it that would in ANY way prompt you to make such a comment?

Whathavewedone said:
"as good as anyone in the country". To simply WATCH his in-game coaching is to easily dispell that notion. And when you couple his failure to develop players (a

Lol he's an awful coach but won a championship without players he recruited.

So did those guys just coach themselves? You still haven't answered that. I've made this comment 3 billion times. If the guy can't coach at all and never could, how did he win a championship??? Did the players coach themselves, yes or no?

Man this board is *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing trashy.

Gold Vision said:
Man this board is *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing trashy.

I think most everyone would agree with that these days.

You're right.. Going undefeated in the SEC for a whole season displays no coaching ability.

huoi6u.jpg

Top Bottom