No coach will be successful until basketball is made a priority at the U

gopher000

Reaction score
Need an AD that cares MORE about basketball than the Men's Soccer team, need a practice facility so badly.
Tubby Smith has been very very successful his entire career, you think its just a fluke that hasn't continued here?
I bet Tubby would have never taken this job if he knew his promised practice facility wouldn't be built by now.

Look at the history of this program, most of the great years this program has had have been wiped from the record books, its difficult to win here.

If Tubby is fired here is my prediction, the new coach lasts 4 years maybe 5 and is canned. and we are right back to where we were 5 years ago again.

Best thing that can happen is get an AD who will get a practice facility and will demand a better program, Maturi has made Tubby real comfortable here. Give Tubby another year and let him know he has 1 year to get the program back on track or he's gone, hopefully that will light a fire in him, because despite what most people think he deserves it because he came here and rose this program from the dead, has beat a lot of good teams away from Williams arena and has gotten the program to 2 tournament appearances in 5 years, looking at our history that is pretty good.

Time for the University to get serious about basketball and turn this into a program that's successful on a consistent basis, because this has been the 2 most frustration years for me as a gopher fan.

Need an AD that cares MORE about basketball than the Men's Soccer team, need a practice facility so badly.
Tubby Smith has been very very successful his entire career, you think its just a fluke that hasn't continued here?
I bet Tubby would have never taken this job if he knew his promised practice facility wouldn't be built by now.

Look at the history of this program, most of the great years this program has had have been wiped from the record books, its difficult to win here.

If Tubby is fired here is my prediction, the new coach lasts 4 years maybe 5 and is canned. and we are right back to where we were 5 years ago again.Best thing that can happen is get an AD who will get a practice facility and will demand a better program, Maturi has made Tubby real comfortable here. Give Tubby another year and let him know he has 1 year to get the program back on track or he's gone, hopefully that will light a fire in him, because despite what most people think he deserves it because he came here and rose this program from the dead, has beat a lot of good teams away from Williams arena and has gotten the program to 2 tournament appearances in 5 years, looking at our history that is pretty good.

Time for the University to get serious about basketball and turn this into a program that's successful on a consistent basis, because this has been the 2 most frustration years for me as a gopher fan.

+1

The next guy could be gone after four years but that's the chance you take in coaching. Tubby has either thrown in the towel or giving a half effort...which is more inexusable than just not having the ability.

is this thread the last stand of the Tubbyites?

If Tubby is fired here is my prediction, the new coach lasts 4 years maybe 5 and is canned. and we are right back to where we were 5 years ago again.

Best thing that can happen is get an AD who will get a practice facility and will demand a better program, Maturi has made Tubby real comfortable here. Give Tubby another year and let him know he has 1 year to get the program back on track or he's gone, hopefully that will light a fire in him, because despite what most people think he deserves it because he came here and rose this program from the dead, has beat a lot of good teams away from Williams arena and has gotten the program to 2 tournament appearances in 5 years, looking at our history that is pretty good.

we don't have a men's soccer team. your opinion is invalid troll.

If the student section turns, I don't think there is any going back. I think Tubby could turn it around like Lucia did this year. He needs players to get better over the summer, something that hasn't transpired during the past few seasons.

But a lineup of Eliason-Walker-Williams-Hollins-Hollins and Coleman, Welch has a shot especially if Buggs is decent.

This recruiting season is big and a lot has to go right, but it is possible. The new AD should get a year to evaluate the programs. Tubby could quit too.

Dptroll is very pleased with the on-the-court product. Of course, that is only because Tubby is the chef in charge of preparing and serving the steaming poo.

LMAO, Monson fails, blame the coach. Tubby fails, blame the program. Honest to god, I have never seen anything like it.

They don't need to get rid of sports, just get an AD who actually knows how to fund raise. Minnesota is one of the largest schools in the country and they haven't been able to effectively raise money for a basketball practice facility or a baseball stadium in a timely fashion. There are plenty of schools out there with significantly smaller alumni to draw from that have been able to effectively raise funds without cutting sports.

Give Tubby another year and let him know he has 1 year to get the program back on track or he's gone, hopefully that will light a fire in him.

I'm sure at this stage of his career Tubby is exactly the kind of guy that will respond beautifully to ultimatums from a new AD. Why didn't we think of this before!? Just threaten him and he will get it done! Great thinking!!!

Stopped taking this post seriously when I encountered this sentence...

GopherGod: "There are plenty of schools out there with significantly smaller alumni to draw from that have been able to effectively raise funds without cutting sports." Do those schools compete for dollars with four major professional teams in the same city?

Dptroll is very pleased with the on-the-court product. Of course, that is only because Tubby is the chef in charge of preparing and serving the steaming poo.
Despite your claim to locality, your repeated reference to sh!t links you w/the Kentucky crowd. Not that I'm surprised there would be people who want to watch what's going on here and take pleasure in it!

GopherGod: "There are plenty of schools out there with significantly smaller alumni to draw from that have been able to effectively raise funds without cutting sports." Do those schools compete for dollars with four major professional teams in the same city?

Georgetown has substantially fewer alumni than the U, has four major pro sports teams in the same city, and seems to have managed to come up with enough money to get the facilities in place to have a top ten basketball program.

FanSinceTheFifties said:

Fair enough argument but I could also turn it around and say how many of those smaller schools that get it done have the population base to pull from as Minnesota does? Minnesota also has tons of fortune 500 companies in their backyard and no other division 1 programs to compete with in the state. I think the pro sports angle becomes a crutch often for a department that has failed in fundraising for many years

Doesn't Nebraska have a state of the art practice facility?

Nebraska's brand new facility has been open for four months (it opened in November). They built it because they knew they needed it to keep up.

Let's compare the next ten years worth of recruiting classes and see how MN (without facility) stacks up with Nebraska (with facility). We probably won't like the results.

Despite your claim to locality, your repeated reference to sh!t links you w/the Kentucky crowd. Not that I'm surprised there would be people who want to watch what's going on here and take pleasure in it!

I take no pleasure in it, nor do I take any pleasure in the "fans" who will defend Tubby under any and all circumstances because of his name. If the revolving transfer door continues this offseason among the top returning players (e.g., Hollins and Hollins), I'm confident that the Tubby defenders will continue to regurgitate all of the talking points that they have been given.

At this point, a practice facility is needed just to keep up with everyone else. Having one is not really an advantage anymore, it's the norm.

Georgetown has substantially fewer alumni than the U, has four major pro sports teams in the same city, and seems to have managed to come up with enough money to get the facilities in place to have a top ten basketball program.

So you're advocating dropping the football program to FCS level?

I take no pleasure in it, nor do I take any pleasure in the "fans" who will defend Tubby under any and all circumstances because of his name.

I don't defend Tubby because of his "name". I defend him because he is the Gopher coach, and I am a fan of the Gophers. I do this for all Gopher coaches until they are no longer Gopher coaches, regardless of their "name". If he succeeds, that means the Gophers are succeeding. Period. This cannot be argued against.

the Tubby defenders will continue to regurgitate all of the talking points that they have been given

What does this even mean? Because someone has a different opinion from you, that means they are incapable of thinking for themselves?

I think the pro sports angle becomes a crutch often for a department that has failed in fundraising for many years
Especially when we're talking about donations. It's not like folks with the means are donating to the pro teams.

If we're talking about ticket sales, then I think the pro-sports town thing has more validity.

Top Bottom