Postgame Notes from Minnesota-Indiana game: Austin Hollins, Tom Crean, Tubby Smith

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Austin Hollins

-I don’t compare this team to last season, we’re a completely different team. It’s about going out and playing hard. I guess they wanted it more

-We rotate a lot of guys in and out, so it hurts when we can’t do that like we want to

-“I would like to say that” in response to whether this was the worst they’ve played this season

On Tubby: “He’s been alright.”

-“We Just got to get it together”

-Everyone is frustrated

Indiana Head Coach Tom Crean

To Sid: “You Picked against us; I like that…I kept the article”

-This was a good win, since we know how good of a team Minnesota is

-We knew we had to rebound the ball, shoot free throws well to win

-I think people forget how hard it is to play without your best player. What Tubby’s dealing with without Trevor.

-Nobody knows outside of Tubby’s staff how good Mbakwe other than Crean's staff (when at Marquette).

-We have played without our best player for the last two years

-When you look at the improvement of the Hollins’ and Rodney Williams, they have really good players. It hurt that Hollins and Welsch weren’t 100%

-To Sid again…“I love you picking against us…keep picking against us.”

-We have to get to the foul line to be successful (27FF’s per game in win, 13FF’s per game in losses)

-We’ve played some really good games; it’s one of our best defensive games

-On the turnaround to play Michigan State next: “This league is a challenge. It’s going to be a challenge to play Michigan State if you have 48 days.”

Minnesota Head Coach Tubby Smith:

-It was a pretty ugly display

-We started out like we came to play, but then we started missing easy shots, which is discouraging for our guys

-We knew it was going to be tough because two guys have not been practicing

-“Ralph is struggling to score, and Rodney is not looking to score”

-We played some tough games and good games, and this is one that kind of came out of nowhere.

-I thought today guys seemed to be ready to play, they came out with a good spirit and good effort.

-You’ve got four losses (in a row)…so their egos are fragile. You need to give them some time, which is ok as long as the shots start falling. This time it didn’t work. What I was doing didn’t work.

-Every little thing you didn’t do well, a timeout or a substitution, as a coach you think. I’m sure the players are doing the same.

-Today’s theme was to rise to the challenge against a team that’s playing well. We didn’t have that sense of urgency, they were not inspired by what I had to say.

-We haven’t been a team that’s attacking the rim, and that’s a real problem. You need to go in there an throw your body at them.

-This year vs. last: The way we have responded. Last year we responded well, but we didn’t show that spirit, that fight that you need to have.

-When shots are not falling at all, you’ll get a spark, from Chip or Hollins. I think we got a little spark from Ingram today, to be honest.

-I think its the execution and the same issues…Rebounding we’ve been getting beat on the boards every game these days.

I think the fact that we've rebounded like crap, has hurt significantly, we;ve been near the top the past few years and have gotten killed this season. Rebounding is mostly effort.

There you go he took responsibility for the loss..

I think Rodney's and Austin's comments speak volumes on what they think of Tubby's game plan and substitution patterns. I wonder if they even get up for Nebraska on senior day?

I am really concerned about Rodney. He criticized Tubby in the papers and then he looked to me like he wasn't even trying out there today.

A couple of days I didn't think there was hardly any chance he would leave after this year. Now I'm not so sure.

What the heck happened over the past few days?

I am really concerned about Rodney. He criticized Tubby in the papers and then he looked to me like he wasn't even trying out there today.

A couple of days I didn't think there was hardly any chance he would leave after this year. Now I'm not so sure.

What the heck happened over the past few days?

Where would he go? Europe maybe. His dad said earlier this year that Rodney would be ready if he started "taking over games". Looks like he's not ready. A serious offseason strength program about a 1000 jumpers a day and another year under a different staff is what he needs. He could still be a star.

Tubby saying "they were not inspired by what I had to say" speaks volumes. He has lost the team. Time to go.

Where would he go? Europe maybe. His dad said earlier this year that Rodney would be ready if he started "taking over games". Looks like he's not ready. A serious offseason strength program about a 1000 jumpers a day and another year under a different staff is what he needs. He could still be a star.
Who knows? Maybe he'd even go to the NBDL and try to play his way into the league.

Actually, I still don't think it is likely he will go, but he sounded unhappy in the paper, and he sure looked unhappy out there today too.

"Tubby on not knowing how his team could suffer 19-pt home loss to Indiana: "There must be something else going on that I'm not aware of."

pretty telling tweet by Marcus @GophersNow

Rodney has his entire financial future to play for, he doesn't have that killer instinct on the floor, its too bad

I think Rodney's and Austin's comments speak volumes on what they think of Tubby's game plan and substitution patterns. I wonder if they even get up for Nebraska on senior day?

I don't care if every player on the team absolutely hates Tubby, that's still no excuse for not playing hard.

Top Bottom