How is 17-11 w/o your best player a bad year?

Jmmy Chitwood

Reaction score
Very competitive in many other games vs top teams as well.

I frequent this board occasionally and am a coach in Texas.

This is likely a tourney team w mbakwe and is likely nit without.

Seems to me everyone needs to relax....

It's not a bad year, but after what happened last season, every problem is compounded. Remember when 20 wins for a Tubby Smith team was a given? Seems like a long, long time ago. Good teams get better over the course of a season and can turn it on when they absolutely need to have a game. We'll see what happens Sunday.

I'm not in the camp that this has been a bad year for the Gophers. Disappointing because of all the excruciating close losses, yes, but I wouldn't call it a bad season.

+1 this season clearly hasn't been bad, I know what its like I lost to my brother (we call him the ringer) in horse shoes 21-7 last summer even though every one of my throws was an inch or less away...I didn't have a bad game even though I threw 33%. I'll also mention that I had torn ligaments in my throwing hand!

I think part of the mentality is that we have shown that even without our best player, we are capable of competing with most of the teams in the conference, but have failed to deliver the wins in the clutch situations at the end of games.

I think going a combined 2-14 on Feb. 1 or after the past two years has a lot to do with it.

How is 17-11 w/o your best player a bad year?

12-1 in the non-conf was against cupcakes. As of now only Bucknell and SDSU have chances at a NCAA tourney bid. Only 1-2(Indy and NU) quality wins in the B10 considering Illinois has tanked it. 6-12 and 7-11(potentially) is very disappointing even with key injuries and cant be dismissed.

12-1 in the non-conf was against cupcakes. As of now only Bucknell and SDSU have chances at a NCAA tourney bid. Only 1-2(Indy and NU) quality wins in the B10 considering Illinois has tanked it. 6-12 and 7-11 is very disappointing even with key injuries and cant be dismissed.
Still looking for one positive thing you've said about the Gophers basketball team can't seem to find any...

I'm as disappointed in Tubby's record as the next guy and I'm not defending him or saying it's been a good year. However, I have enjoyed watching more this year than I have in quite a while. I like the upbeat style and somewhat better guard play. We have played well against a number of quality teams. We have more weapons than we have had in a while. IMHO the problem is our youth when we get into a close game late, especially when the other team is superior like MSU. Like football we will not recruit 5 star players unless a local kid wants to play near home so we need to get the kids we recruit to be jrs and srs and then hope they improved and show leadership to the younger players. Even though I was disappointed in the way Rodney ended the MSU game, I'm pleased with how much better he has played overall this year. If we can keep the both Hollins, Coleman, EE, Oto, Mo for another year or two, we should either be in the conference race, or we should be ready for a new coaching direction.

Very competitive in many other games vs top teams as well.

I frequent this board occasionally and am a coach in Texas.

This is likely a tourney team w mbakwe and is likely nit without.

Seems to me everyone needs to relax....

Agreed.

I'm as disappointed in Tubby's record as the next guy and I'm not defending him or saying it's been a good year. However, I have enjoyed watching more this year than I have in quite a while. I like the upbeat style and somewhat better guard play. We have played well against a number of quality teams. We have more weapons than we have had in a while. IMHO the problem is our youth when we get into a close game late, especially when the other team is superior like MSU. Like football we will not recruit 5 star players unless a local kid wants to play near home so we need to get the kids we recruit to be jrs and srs and then hope they improved and show leadership to the younger players. Even though I was disappointed in the way Rodney ended the MSU game, I'm pleased with how much better he has played overall this year. If we can keep the both Hollins, Coleman, EE, Oto, Mo for another year or two, we should either be in the conference race, or we should be ready for a new coaching direction.

+1

Anytime you finish with a sub 500 conference record it is a bad year.

Trevor???

totally disagree with this!!! Played the whole conference season w/o Trevor our best player, if we win two of next three + on B10 win in Indy will get a bid to dance, will have defeated Hoosiers twice, Huskers twice, Lions, NW and Illini and have Spartans down by 9...come on how can you call this disappointing...Go Gophers!!

Biggest problem: 2-5 at home and 2 losses to Iowa. Those two things give the season a bad feel even with the loss of Mbakwe. You lose that many at home and it takes a lot of the fun out of the season. We can argue forever about what would have happened with Mbakwe. Devastating loss of a player (again). However, maybe not so devastating if Cobbs, Joseph and Iverson didn't leave. Lot's of things to discuss on both sides of the argument.

totally disagree with this!!! Played the whole conference season w/o Trevor our best player, if we win two of next three + on B10 win in Indy will get a bid to dance, will have defeated Hoosiers twice, Huskers twice, Lions, NW and Illini and have Spartans down by 9...come on how can you call this disappointing...Go Gophers!!

You don't get extra-credit percentage points for transfers and injuries.

Hallelujah. Adequate depth and Ralph performing at even an average level , both of which are duties of the coaching staff, would've prevented the extent of this debacle.

Did you miss the rumor Tubby's contract is about to be extended? Somebody gives extra-credit for injuries and can also see the potential of the fine young players already on campus.

5-10 in the conference and it's not considered a bad season????

This is exactly why Tubby came here. No expectations and nice fat salary.

Did you miss the rumor Tubby's contract is about to be extended? Somebody gives extra-credit for injuries and can also see the potential of the fine young players already on campus.

Nope. Anytime you finish with a sub 500 conference record it is a bad year.

I don't care if you are playing with only 4 players, below 500 is a bad year.

????

Nope. Anytime you finish with a sub 500 conference record it is a bad year.

I don't care if you are playing with only 4 players, below 500 is a bad year.

The last I saw the Gophers are 17-11 overall, much higher than .500 my friend, three more wins gets them in the dance and that is a successful season...this certainly is not a bad year.... Go Gophers!!

The last I saw the Gophers are 17-11 overall, much higher than .500 my friend, three more wins gets them in the dance and that is a successful season...this certainly is not a bad year.... Go Gophers!!

Please explain how they are 17-11 has any bearing. My statement had to do with the conference, quit derailing the discussion.

Apparently Don Lucia and Tim Brewster also received extra credit.

Jesse Pinkman is that you?

17 wins and only one good win. This is not a bad year? Welcome to Euphoria the capital of MN.

To Clarify and perhaps state my fellow optimists's position better, I offer this: When Mbakwe went down, I could have spent a day on here reading about how the season was over and we'd be lucky to win 6 more games. As bitter and heart breaking as it has been, I think we all can agree that it has been surprising how this team has won or been very competitive in almost every game. Especially since our rotation consists of 1 SR, 2 JR (one Juco) 3 SO and 4 FR. Of course we could hire some mid-major gamble and go back to winning 6 big ten games a year and getting blown out by 25 10 out of the other 12.

To Clarify and perhaps state my fellow optimists's position better, I offer this: When Mbakwe went down, I could have spent a day on here reading about how the season was over and we'd be lucky to win 6 more games. As bitter and heart breaking as it has been, I think we all can agree that it has been surprising how this team has won or been very competitive in almost every game. Especially since our rotation consists of 1 SR, 2 JR (one Juco) 3 SO and 4 FR. Of course we could hire some mid-major gamble and go back to winning 6 big ten games a year and getting blown out by 25 10 out of the other 12.

+1

I will say Trevor's injury caused a few of the players to play better.

lets hope they win out and get the NCAA and play respectably...problem solved.

If they end up 6-12 again in conference play it is a nightmare, anyone that says otherwise doesn't value any type of accomplishment. I for one will be disgusted with that type of results with or without Mbwake. If I ever accept that I might as well stop being a fan.

Top Bottom