IU Fan, Sampson is a really, really good player but mismanaged by Tubby

CoachNol

Reaction score
As an Indiana fan for over 20 yrs, I have always respected the Minnesota program and rooted for you guys in the NCAA and whenever a Minny win helps the Hoosiers indirectly in the B1G. I've never posted on this site but have followed it for years, as I find the primary message bds of the next opponent to say a lot about a state of a program. A few of the posters are really good and have informed, balanced insight, and I tend to look for their views here. Having lived through a decade-long decline of IU hoops and a great coach past his prime in the mid 1990's, a long stretch under Knight of one-and-done's in the tourney, lightening striking the program under Davis in the 02 title game, and the ensuing debacle and a horrible last 5 years, I've seen some unhappy fans. Put another way, I hail from a fan base that has experienced the sky falling. But even in our worst days I have never seen the type of negativism chronically manifested on this Board, where some in the fan base apparently enjoy spewing venom personally at the players when your many late game collapses over the last couple years is clearly a coaching issue.

The Minn-Mich State is a case in point of this larger problem. Even as a neutral observer, that game was absolutely maddening. How do you guys reconcile such poor end of game coaching and then Tubby throwing his players under the bus when it’s his scheme that gave another critical game away for your program? The misuse of Sampson in that late game situation is emblematic of chronic meltdowns by this team.

I’ve coached the game for 20 yrs and live in Big 10 country, so watch an embarrassing amt of college hoops, and have seen your team play a ton of games, in person and by DVR over the last several yrs. So I'm an outsider, but a relatively informed one. I couldn't believe that the Tubster was running that hilarious weave offense for 6 minutes trying not to lose, when all he needed to do was Iso the post, let Sampson go to work and either score or get fouled and shoot 90 percent from the line. Even a miss would have been better than the steals for layups. (Ironically, that weave worked when Sampson was in the game and he delivered two dimes to two guards who missed layups, but that offense doesn’t work with the other personnel. Your other big guy gives great effort and has really good rebounding aptitude, but needs a lot of work on offense, passing, shooting and free throws.) Sampson made those two Mich State big men look like they were moving in slow motion in the post all game and had them completely befuddled when they were playing defense. And remember that Payne had just shut down Sullinger a game before for the upset win. Sampson’s stats weren't eye popping but he was dominating that game in stretches in multiple ways -- against one of the hottest, best and toughest team in the country, as he did to open the season against a then-good Illinois team and a 7’1’’ future NBA center. It was clear he was the one option against Michigan State in the half-court set that was working. That was an easy call to go to him late in the game, but instead Tubby went to an inexperienced freshman point guard and a JUCO point guard who is too slow to penetrate consistently.

From what I’ve seen, Sampson is chronically missed by the guards in the post, is an afterthought in the offense, and is largely used as a 6’11 facilitator on the high post because he can hit that shot. But why? In the just the last few games, I saw him in the opening minutes of your last couple games score easily on Sullinger and Shurna in the post -- so easy that even my son said, “wow, that’s all night,” and then he was basically ignored the rest of the game, got just a few more shots, and you lost. That is bad coaching -- big men depend on guards and can’t pass to themselves (even supermodels know that) -- and NBA coaches who live on mismatches and going with what works, would be incensed if you ignore big men in the post who are scoring, because it takes them completely out of the game. (I also was sitting on the floor for the Indiana game in Bloomington, and also in Orlando for the Indiana State game and other games in the Old Spice, and it was shocking in that IU game how many times Sampson was open in the post for a couple seconds for the feed and was looked-off. I also couldn’t believe Sampson was even playing in Orl, the kid was clearly taking one for the team to give 10 minutes or so off the bench on a very serious injury that I’d bet is not even fully healed today -- I’m not sure if you could tell it on TV, but he could barely move laterally in that game and limped continually during time outs, etc.; not a lot of kids with next level aspirations would kill stats and risk more severe injury for multiple games that early in a season, which is another reason I’ve grown to root for the kid.)

On the broader issue of mismanaging Sampson, we would have loved to have him at IU instead of undersized Tom Pritchard at center for 3 years. From what I can tell, Sampson gets a lot of grief on this Board, but I’ve seen him play multiple times, and he absolutely should be playing 30 + minutes and shooting 10-15x a game for this offensively challenged team with no go-to guy. He’s a chronic mis-match that Tubby hasn’t exploited. In the games I’ve seen he shows elite skill in the post (how many centers in the country can, in one-on-one situations, score with both hands, hit running hook shots with both hands, consistently make both baseline short corner jumpers and 17-ft jump shots, pass the ball at an elite level, block shots and defend solidly in the post? Not many). The kid’s defensive rebounding was an issue and needed work but seems to have improved to about average (he seemed to play too straight up and wouldn’t turn his head to find a man to box out, but seems actually pretty improved this year; and that double foul call with Payne, which was a dagger and you guys got robbed, is an example of getting better.) Over the last couple years in games I’ve watched in Bloomington, one year he had something like 6 blocks against us, another year he marched to the line 13/14 times, and even this year hit an absolutely money shot (after being ignored most of the game by the guards) in the last 2 minutes that killed an IU run. And watching that kid shooting in warm-ups, I must say, is pretty cool for a basketball purist given his form, high arch and touch on the ball. But, hey, as they say, the grass is always greener, and perhaps it’s hard for your fans to see all these positives when he’s your guy, and easier for me to ignore the negatives when he’s not my guy.

Anyhow, this post is too long, and I apologize, but really wish Minny could return to glory, as a top notch Minny team is good for the conference, good for basketball, and good for rivalries in an age where conference realignment and profit is undermining a lot of the game’s history. I could go on about other Minny teams I loved, particularly that 08-09 team with Damien Johnson or the Bobby Jackson years, but think Tubby has blown it this year, generally with Sampson, and generally with the recruitment/management of a subpar set of point guards since he’s been the coach. And, in case you guys don’t know it, most people believe Tubby’s hockey line changes are insane and disrupt his own starters’ rhythm. Some of this is like watching Coach Knight in decline 2.0 -- detached from the modern player and watching a talent exodus in transfers because the coach lost touch with how to motivate players and develop them. The Minnesota transfers scream volumes, even though many will rationalize them.

I wish your team good luck in tomorrow’s game. I’ll bet IU wins, partially because Tubby doesn’t feed Sampson or get him going consistently and he gets marginalized/loses confidence, and instead Cody Zeller touches the ball, has a big game, gets a couple cheap founds on Sampson and he becomes (again) a non-factor in the game. Sampson is a really, really good player that would be a stud in any system that doesn't shackle it's big men and ignore them in favor of ball-dominating guards. I’m just glad it won’t be tomorrow!

Wow, you haven't watched much MN basketball or paid much attention to the topics on this board as of late to come up with that point of view.

You can blame Tubby for a lot of things, but not for Sampson's shortcomings. That rests solely on Sampson's shoulders. You haven't watched him enough to have a complete feel for what type of player he is and what sort of tendencies he has. Having said that, Sampson played a lot better last game and hopefully he builds off that and finishes his career strong,

GophersOnTheRise said:
You can blame Tubby for a lot of things, but not for Sampson's shortcomings. That rests solely on Sampson's shoulders. You haven't watched him enough to have a complete feel for what type of player he is and what sort of tendencies he has. Having said that, Sampson played a lot better last game and hopefully he builds off that and finishes his career strong,

Exactly. And to claim this board is harder on the players than Tubby is ridiculous.

Peegs was down right nasty towards Jones 3, Oladipo, and Watford earlier this year. Every fan base has those kinds of anonymous posters.

You really don't watch much Gopher hoops do you? Really a stupid thread.

He had some fair points in there. Tubby definitely did misuse Sampson at the end of the MSU game.

In the games I’ve seen he shows elite skill in the post (how many centers in the country can, in one-on-one situations, score with both hands, hit running hook shots with both hands, consistently make both baseline short corner jumpers and 17-ft jump shots, pass the ball at an elite level, block shots and defend solidly in the post? Not many).

He generally does a good job in one-on-one situations. But teams know he has such a hard time when getting double teamed. He 1) takes too long making his move in the post, making it so easy to double team him and 2) he is not strong with the ball at all, so once you get the double team on him, he crumbles.

I do agree though that Sampson was misused at the end of the MSU game.

I have watched alot of MN bball since Tubby arrived, and simply point out as an outsider that it seemed crystal clear that the move should have been to feed the horse that got you up 8 points against the #2 RPI team in the country that was rolling teams and playing extremely well, in game you desperately needed to win. Michigan State had no answer for him in the post, which was obvious to the announcers, to observers, to Izzo, but not to Tubby in the most critical time of the game. The fact that your one mismatch repeatedly gets 5 shots or less in games is a coaching issue more than a player issue. A big man can't feed himself, and I've seen plenty of times with my own eyes -- in person and on TV -- your guards miss the angle, the feed, the seal, and/or the hockey entry to the post, which is like ignoring running the ball in football. Whether that player makes a shot half the time is irrelevant to the importance of opening the outside game, opening cutting lanes, and keeping defenses honest. In any event, it's just my view as someone who's watched alot of games and germane to tomorrow's game given a strategic error by a Coach who could have gotten you to the dance with a big win. While I really like Minny, I hope Tubby makes the same mistake tomorrow.

I don't disagree with the guy, try feeding the man consistently. I was calling for it in the live chat, Ralph was hot and should have been ridden. He isn't strong enough while being double teamed, however, but at the very least we should have fed him down the stretch while we were in the double bonus and get a few more opportunities at the line.

Absolutely agree with CoachNol. What is also frustrating is that when you looked at this team before the year even began, it was clear that to be successful (more specifically, to exceed expectations of being more than a bubble-ish team) this year Ralph would have to be used more in the offense. The Gopher staff knew or should have known this, but they haven't acted accordingly.

I also appreciate the recognition of Ralph's gutty performance at the Old Spice Classic (and since then).

I understand why many Gopher fans get down on Ralph, but for folks who are able to view the team with their emotions saddled, he's a very good player.

Coach Nol - did you just start disliking Tubby's offense when we started losing? Or, have you kind of rolled your eyes at his offense all along?

People conveniently ignore game situations and match ups to prove general points.

I don't disagree with the guy, try feeding the man consistently. I was calling for it in the live chat, Ralph was hot and should have been ridden. He isn't strong enough while being double teamed, however, but at the very least we should have fed him down the stretch while we were in the double bonus and get a few more opportunities at the line.

I didn't disagree with his post either. It is obviously just one man's opinion, and an 'outsider's' opinion at that, but to me it sounds like the guy knows his basketball, and beyond that I appreciate the time and effort he took to write all that up and post it here on an opponents message board. I find it can sometimes be quite valuable to gain an outside perspective and/or opinion, as sometimes I admittedly might develop a form of tunnel-vision when it comes to topics I hold near and dear like the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Anyway, I agree that Ralph is a skilled and multi-talented big man, and those are not always so easy to come by. He obviously does have some limitations as well, and a lot of that (at least for me) has to do with his seeming outward placidity, like maybe he's lacking 'fire' or something, but then again his old man was outwardly placid too, so I guess maybe Ralph comes by his demeanor honestly.

I also agree that Tubby's usage of Ralph can at times be seriously questioned. Anyway, it's a shame things didn't work out during Samson's tenure here, and I am going to miss him once he's gone.

I didn't disagree with his post either. It is obviously just one man's opinion, and an 'outsider's' opinion at that, but to me it sounds like the guy knows his basketball, and beyond that I appreciate the time and effort he took to write all that up and post it here on an opponents message board. I find it can sometimes be quite valuable to gain an outside perspective and/or opinion, as sometimes I admittedly might develop a form of tunnel-vision when it comes to topics I hold near and dear like the Minnesota Golden Gophers. .

From my experience on GH, I would say an outsider has a better chance of being objective.

I just curious if the OP bought one of those "We're Back!" T-shirts that IU started selling to commemorate their .500 season in the Big Ten :clap:

Back in the day, .500 in the Big Ten was apocolyptic at Indiana, now it gets treated like a Big Ten title.

Sorry coach, some on here attack everyone with a negative thought on Tubby. They will rip you to shreds and question your intellect. Get ready.

Royal, really good question, and just to clarify, I've been watching Tubby and studying his offensive and defensive schemes for my own teams since well before Minny -- way back to the border wars in the IU-Kentucky rivalry. I am an admirer, as I am and was an admirer of Coach Knight's even though (one man's view) both he and Tubby became so inflexible and intransient in their last years that their brilliant schemes became detatched from the flexibility needed to adapt to their personnel. I see alot of that in Tubby's handling of Sampson -- and other players over the years. (Rondo, by the way, became elite after he left Tubby's clutches and the battle of wills between the two were notorious.)

*Tubby's ball-line defense/principles are great, but my issue with it is that he's had the personnel NOT to double the post for 4 years. You've generally had size and length and good on-ball post defense, and only this year has he shown a willingess not to double the post. In years past, his principles have been so rigid that he'd doubled against teams with no low-post threat with outside shooters, and me and others would shake their heads why. You're blown games in 07/08 and 08/09 doing that, and I won't even start with last year.

*On offense, Tubby's concepts of course are sound, smart and proven, whether talking high-low, the new flex priniciples or even some of the swing that's been mixed in the concept. But the late game strategy you saw all last year and this year is mind-numbingly disturbing. What's the point of four corners' type slow down and clearing out for guards to jack a contested jumper or try to go one-on-one? I saw that up front and personnel with Joseph at the IU game the other year, and many other games. It's an approach that's entirely inconsistent with the game flow, a team concept and ball movement. You saw that yet again in the loss to Michigan State. (In contrast, you saw Izzo adapt, Green had taken only one or two shots inside the arc until the last two minutes, then Izzo commanded his troops to exploit the Green-Rodney mismatch in the pivot when Mich. State was in the bonus. Very smart, and exactly what Tubby should have done with Sampson.)

*Tubby's offensive schemes have been undone by his own poor recruiting and retention of a true point guard. I won't go through all the strenghts and weaknesses of your PG's over Tubby's tenure, but you've had some of the worst in the big ten (not players, but true point guards). That's a problem that complicates any half-court offense, regardless of the scheme. Suffice it to say that Nolan was your best and had great handles and on-ball tenacity, and you desperately miss his ball pressure (only five turnovers for Michigan State, who has had well known TO issues, is a really pointed indictment of your guard defense), but he sorely lacked in shooting skill, and most significantly, in ball distribution. He never saw the floor, was absolutely awful at feeding the post, and did not have the distribution gene. He was a great driver -- and that's when he'd get the periodic assist/dump off (and that Louisville game, by the way, was a thing of beauty) but he had a hard time finishing and just never was a Jordan Taylor quality/rounded point guard. The "point guards" you've had before and since could be the subject of their own thread, and not necessarily good ones re point guard qualities (and I really like the moxy of your JUCO guard and his shot, but he is very slow, has no straight line speed to get by a defender, always needs an angle on offense to create, and is a poor on-ball defender). Tubby also let/forced Cobb to get away, and that has really hurt. And here it comes full circle, because a big man has a hard time reaching his/her full potential if playing without a quintissential point guard, and that partially is why, in my view, Sampson has never fulfilled his promise on this team.

*Tubby's motivational techniques are a relic, and negatively impact offensive creativity because his players don't have freedom. Brad Stevens at Butler and Shaka Smart at VCU don't know the game of basketball better than Tubby, but they are better motivators and more in touch with the modern player. Their talent also is not better than Tubby's teams. You can tell they motivate their players, whereas Tubby routinely throws his under the bus, blames them for late-game meltdowns, claims that are "shaking" at the end of games, and he puts them in straight-jackets during the game. If he doesn't empower his big man, force the team to dump the ball into the post despite mistakes and turnovers that are part of the game, you're not going to get the post presence you want. (The fact that Sampson commands a double team is, by definition, a great thing that should be exploited.) But Sampson isn't a wide load, so Tubby needed to coach up angles, feeding the ball to the reach hand, locating the defender by the post-feeder, Sampson's moving with the defender, etc., etc. Sadly, Sampson is your best post feeder and gives all three post delivery angles (overhead, 3/4, side entries, etc.), and he can't pass to himself. Had Mbakwe not gotten hurt and was drafted, his first paycheck should have gone to Sampson. And here's the rub on last year. Yes, you didn't have a point guard, and that was the biggest issue. But in the last 5 minutes, EVERY big ten team knew Mbakwe was going to receive a post-feed, try to jump over everyone (or take one balance dribble then out-muscle everyone) and throw up the same shot they'd seen for the first 35 minutes. True, Mbakwe is a stud, but he's not the only athelete out there, and a predictable big ten scheme is a dead scheme. (See Joe Coleman). So, you were in games at the end but easy to stop in the stretch of games, and your Plan B was the riduculous one-on-one guard display that failed so many times.

So, Royal, I guess when thinking about your good question, those late game scenarios signify when I finally lost my appreciation for the Tubby approach, and thought he under-utilized Sampson (and others) in some of those situations. (I also thought he blew the Xavier NCAA game a couple years ago -- my dad and I were rooting for Xavier, his alma mater, and I for the IU transfer (Jordan Crawford), and we couldn't believe he went away from the "three headed monster" that almost set a record for blocked shots in a half after the momentum had turned, but that is another story....)

Anyhow, I hope the best for your program (as long as not playing IU!)

Remember when Ralph and Colton played their asses off and stifled anything inside, leading to a huge win vs. Louisville? How about when Colton dropped about 20 and dominated Butler? Can't forget when Ralph dropped 21 on North Carolina and was by far the best big on the floor. Don't know what happened, but think Colton got to big/claudish and Ralph somehow got timid. Hard to blame Tubby, unless you have inside knowledge of his ineptitude with big men. Ralph has started ever game since being a freshman and as I recall had plenty of touches/opportunity to get better.

Remember when Ralph and Colton played their asses off and stifled anything inside, leading to a huge win vs. Louisville? How about when Colton dropped about 20 and dominated Butler? Can't forget when Ralph dropped 21 on North Carolina and was by far the best big on the floor.

Are you just making stuff up, balds?

I don't remember any of these. I remember when Colton played 25 mins against Louisville and scored 4 points, while Ralph scored 2 points in 12 minutes. Combined, those two had 5 boards. I also remember Louisville's big Earl Clark scoring 16 and grabbing 11 boards. You want to put praise on Al, Travis or Blake in that game - fine.. but Colt & Ralph?!

Colt dominated Butler with about 20? I thought he had a huge half and then was benched. 13 points in only 18 minutes.

Sampson dropped 21 on North Carolina? I was thinking more like 12. Seemed like Zeller's 16 on 7/14 shooting was OK.

Are you just making stuff up, balds?

I don't remember any of these. I remember when Colton played 25 mins against Louisville and scored 4 points, while Ralph scored 2 points in 12 minutes. Combined, those two had 5 boards. I also remember Louisville's big Earl Clark scoring 16 and grabbing 11 boards. You want to put praise on Al, Travis or Blake in that game - fine.. but Colt & Ralph?!

Colt dominated Butler with about 20? I thought he had a huge half and then was benched. 13 points in only 18 minutes.

Sampson dropped 21 on North Carolina? I was thinking more like 12. Seemed like Zeller's 16 on 7/14 shooting was OK.

I may have the stats wrong, but not the cause and effect of the games. Sure, Nolen was clutch vs. louisville, especially down the stretch making his FT's. But if you recall, Louisville couldn't get anything down low because of tenacious stand up defense by a couple of Freshman. That totally blew up their game plan. Butler game Iverson was THE difference. N. Carolina, Ralph was a beast, scoring at will early and because of that, guess who found himself open from three often. Maybe you should actually watch a Gopher game, not just read the box score. Happy Marquette is doing well.

I may have the stats wrong, but not the cause and effect of the games. Sure, Nolen was clutch vs. louisville, especially down the stretch making his FT's. But if you recall, Louisville couldn't get anything down low because of tenacious stand up defense by a couple of Freshman. That totally blew up their game plan. Butler game Iverson was THE difference. N. Carolina, Ralph was a beast, scoring at will early and because of that, guess who found himself open from three often. Maybe you should actually watch a Gopher game, not just read the box score. Happy Marquette is doing well.

Maybe you shouldn't make things up.

By the way, out of all the home and neutral site Gopher games this year, I've been at all but one -- how about you?

"And, in case you guys don’t know it, most people believe Tubby’s hockey line changes are insane and disrupt his own starters’ rhythm"

I've noticed... and hate this aspect of Tubby's approach

Maybe you shouldn't make things up.

By the way, out of all the home and neutral site Gopher games this year, I've been at all but one -- how about you?

I've mated and settled down. Probably been to 80 games over the last 13 years. Does that diminish my opinion?

CoachNol:

While I agree that in the MSU game when Ralph was playing well we should have kept feeding him the ball. However, once teams decide to double Ralph he does not seem to have the strength to get through it or the instincts to pass the ball out before it gets there. Would you agree with that?

Sorry coach, some on here attack everyone with a negative thought on Tubby. They will rip you to shreds and question your intellect. Get ready.

Nope, that hasn't happened. The only people who's intellect are questioned are those that deserve it.

You've also have Rodney, why not feed him in the post, isolate and let him go one and one, I agree the weave and the end of the game is not just not successful. When the offense goes through the post it is usually successfull, they rarely go there though, if you can get Ralph going early it really makes a difference, I hope they try utilising him the next three games.

Top Bottom