Charles Buggs report

Jmmy Chitwood

Reaction score
Via text this morning:

"in Chatham VA at Hargrave for a tournament. Charles team is undefeated. Charles had the dunk of the game last night. Dunked on two defenders.

Was interviewed by ESPN after the game...Next game is at 3 for the championship."

I know some of you are frustrated, but as an outsider I believe the gophers have played well and very hard this year dealing with some difficult circumstances. The big 10 is as strong as ever too.

Smith knows the game - you don't win a national title anywhere without being a very skilled coach. He works hard and I think it will pay dividends if you stick with him and support the program.

Day 2 report:

Hargrave won 117 to 69. They have an awesome team with three Mcdonald all american candidates.

Charles played well with those guys. His game is at another level. He still needs to put some weight on. They bang pretty good down low, but he's right there with them. They are headed to the Nationals on March 6th in Hartford. They are number two in the nation behind Brewster Academy.

With limited coverage from hargrave I hope this helps give good info on Charles development.

He's very unselfish and that team is loaded. Going against those guys all year is going to be huge for Charles development.

Three Hargrave PG Basketball Players Nominated for 2012 McDonald’s All-American Recognition
Press Release for January 20, 2012

Coach A.W. Hamilton and the 2011/2012 Post-Graduate basketball team have three players nominated as 2012 McDonald's All-Americans. McDonald's All Americans are the Top 24 players in the country.

They are: Montrezl Harrell from Tarboro, NC (Signed with Virginia Tech); Codi Miller-McIntyre from Concord, NC (Signed with Wake Forest); Andre Washington from Rocky Mount, VA (Signed with Wake Forest).

The vote is scheduled for February 9, 2012.

Day 2 report:

Hargrave won 117 to 69. They have an awesome team with three Mcdonald all american candidates.

Charles played well with those guys. His game is at another level. He still needs to put some weight on. They bang pretty good down low, but he's right there with them. They are headed to the Nationals on March 6th in Hartford. They are number two in the nation behind Brewster Academy.

So in other words Buggs played another 6 minute game and scored 4 points. He probably had a good floor game though so that's encouraging.

So in other words Buggs played another 6 minute game and scored 4 points. He probably had a good floor game though so that's encouraging.

What are you talking about?

He starts on the #2 prep team in America.

Thank you for the report. Some individuals have a hard time dealing with positive news.

How did Buggs do? Anyone have stats? I'd like the Charles Buggs report in addition to the Hargrave report.

The report makes it clear Charles played well and has improved a lot since the fall.

And remember - he beat Isaiah Austin/Chad Ryhkoek (both to Baylor) in april when they were on the same team as Emanuel Mudiay (top 2013 kid nationally) and Jelon Hornbeak (OU). Then beat the same team again in july w/o Austin (still had national top 100 center Rykhoek)

So other than downing Isaiah Austin, leading a very successful aau team, and being a starter and major contributor at the #2 prep team in America he's demonstrated very little.

It's unfortunate hargrave has so many good players it negates his mentions in game articles and doesn't have a better website for stats.

Regardless, Charles has made great progress in his development and is excited about coming to Minnesota.

Jmmy Chitwood said:
The report makes it clear Charles played well and has improved a lot since the fall.

And remember - he beat Isaiah Austin/Chad Ryhkoek (both to Baylor) in april when they were on the same team as Emanuel Mudiay (top 2013 kid nationally) and Jelon Hornbeak (OU). Then beat uh same team again in july w/o Austin (still had national top 100 center Rykhoek)

So other than downing Isaiah Austin, leading a very successful aau team, and bring a starter and major contributor at the #2 prep team in America he's demonstrated very little.

It's unfortunate hargrave has so many good players it negates his mentions in game articles and doesn't have a better website for stats.

Regardless, Charles has made great progress in his development and is excited about coming to Minnesota.

Thanks for updates! Can't wait for Charles to be in maroon and gold.

Ok here is what I found out:

Played approximately 20 mins in both games

10 points in each game

Aggressive on the glass, probably 5-8 reb each game

Active and had a few steals/assts/blocks which is Charles game - does everything

On the highlight dunk - in transition he caught it about the ft line, went up with it in the lane, and 2 guys came to block it. Charles aggressively finished and dunked on both and the stands blew up....

So I think he had a very successful weekend overall

One peson says he's a starter and another person says he's not in the 8 man rotation? I'm excited to see what Buggs can do, but all of these conflicting reports are confusing.

I'd have to confirm he starts but the numbers I got are from a coach who watched his games. I assumed he started based on production.

He definitely plays a significant amount of time.

Again, he beat Isaiah Austin. I was there. He's a McDonald's all american.

Anyone who says Charles doesn't play is wrong.

They scored ONE HUNDRED and SEVENTEEN points in a HIGH SCHOOL game. Those scores are a regularity for them.

Getting offered by hargrave means you can play

I'm not around here much - people have been bashing Buggs saying he doesn't play there? Really?

They scored ONE HUNDRED and SEVENTEEN points in a HIGH SCHOOL game. Those scores are a regularity for them.

Getting offered by hargrave means you can play

I'm not around here much - people have been bashing Buggs saying he doesn't play there? Really?

There has just been a lot of confusion and conflicting reports. His coach claimed that he averages I think 17 and 8, yet he's only shown up in like one recap all year while other guys get mentioned who score like 11 points. When the coach was asked about it in an interview he side-stepped it and wouldn't give a real answer. Then someone claimed that they play an 8 man rotation and Buggs isn't in it. Now you said he was a starter. It's just all very weird and confusing. His highlight video looks pretty good, so I'm not claiming he's bad or anything, but the whole situation is just very, very odd to me.

Top Bottom