Reusse: "I will never give a MN coach credit for signing a MN HS kid."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
That is what Reusse said today on his Saturday morning show. He said no matter how big the recruit is, a MN coach does not deserve credit for signing a MN HS kid.

Go Gophers!!

Wow, what a dumb comment. If we can sign Tyus or Vaughn, Tubby should get credit. You should get credit for signing any top player.

That is what Reusse said today on his Saturday morning show. He said no matter how big the recruit is, a MN coach does not deserve credit for signing a MN HS kid.

Go Gophers!!

It got a "what the hell" out of me also. He was talking basketball only and Bleed, to be fair, he backed-off when Zulgad(?) said that's because all the top talent is going to go elsewhere anyway.

It got a "what the hell" out of me also. He was talking basketball only and Bleed, to be fair, he backed-off when Zulgad(?) said that's because all the top talent is going to go elsewhere anyway.

It needs no qualifier or validation, it was a dumb comment that is rooted in a lack of knowledge about recruiting and/or a desire to look at the negative instead of at a minimum choosing to look at a situation from a neutral perspective.

Go Gophers!!

It needs no qualifier or validation, it was a dumb comment that is rooted in a lack of knowledge about recruiting and/or a desire to look at the negative instead of at a minimum choosing to look at a situation from a neutral perspective.

Go Gophers!!

He was trying to be a prick for sure, the point was he backed-off right away when his partner didn't bite. Unless the point was he was trying to be a prick, then yeah, he totally was.

We're all guilty of underestimating how hard it is to win at Minnesota. A buddy of mine covers high school ball and travels all over the midwest. When he's in Wisconsin, he says, half the crowd is wearing red. Ditto Nebraska. Go to Iowa and they're wearing Hawkeye stuff. And etc. etc. Go out into the hinterlands of MN--but especially in the metro area--and you just don't see maroon and gold. I dunno what it is. But there just isn't the love you see in other states. Some say it's because our loyalties go to the Vikings and pro sports instead. And of course hockey fans in northern MN are fans of the Sioux or the Bulldogs.

But the idea that MN kids have much of a reason to have the Gophers at the top of the list and the coach doesn't have to sell his ass off to get 'em is just stupid. It ain't the '60s anymore.

The women just lost the #1 player in the class of 2013 and #2's brother went to Michigan State. Tyus Jones has already played for the US national team and met Coach K 1-on-1. Why the hell wouldn't he have stars in his eyes. How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree?

Pat seems stuck in the 60's/70's. That comment would make some sense regarding the state of the program decades ago, but it's not appropriate these days.

patty clearly has advanced brain cell loss/damage. I hope he knows its time to retire

This guy just gets off on stirring things up as usual.

Who is this Reusse guy of whom you people are speaking?

I wouldn't expect that dry drunk to give a Gopher coach any credit. The man's written hundreds of positive, glowing columns extolling the virtues of the U. He's never had an agenda, other than wanting the best Minnesota athletes to stay home. After reading just one of the Fat Bard's tales, any Minnesota high school athlete would go running to Kill, Tubby, Anderson, Robinson, etc. and beg and plead for acceptance to the University of Minnesota.

minngg said:
Yet when he tweets something that supports Tubby you use it, lol
I said he made one good point I finally agreed with moron.

He will , however,

soundly criticize a MN coach for failing to sign said MN HS kid. That's just the way it is in Pat's world. All criticism and no credit. Did someone steal this guy's puppy when he was a kid or what? What a negative Nancy. Somewhere along the line he decided that the crap he puts out is what the fans want. What a mistake. MN sports journalism = talent wasteland. Oh how much more enjoyable the sports scene would be if we had a fraction of the writing talent that other major university towns have. Certainly not cause and effect, but the downturn in Gopher success strangely mirrors the lack of great sports journalism in town. If we had great ones Sid couldn't get air time on CCO or a single column inch in the Strib. The fact that he still does, as a senile, dottering old man, speaks more to how poor his peer group is than anything.

Sunnyday2: "Go out into the hinterlands of MN--but especially in the metro area--and you just don't see maroon and gold. I dunno what it is. But there just isn't the love you see in other states. Some say it's because our loyalties go to the Vikings and pro sports instead."

You can go into any clothing store and see fifty feet of Vikings jackets and three hangers with Gophers. With the Timberwolves re-emerging, you'll see more attention to them. The Twins grab their share of the market. And hockey -- Wild and Gophers, siphon off some more. There is no question that media and fan attention here is diluted and the Gophers football and basketball programs get much less interest than college programs in college towns and states -- especially those without college hockey-- despite being the only D1 program here. You can argue that that doesn't affect recruits, but you can't deny the distractions.

Ruesse went on the say he would give the coach credit if the player was being recruited by one of the big-time schools. ie Duke, mich st in bb, osu, mich or alabama in fb.

When they only had offers from wis, iowa wyoming etc he would give no credit.

Players like tyus or S Henderson he would give credit for.

I've always wondered...how does one pronounce Reusse's last name anyways? Sorry for my ignorance, but I only lived in Minneapolis for a couple years and I'm not a big sports talk radio guy. And I'm especially not a big Reusse guy.

Royce? Reese? Roose? Who cares. I know he sucks.

920/414 Gopher said:
I've always wondered...how does one pronounce Reusse's last name anyways? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not a big sports talk radio guy. And I'm especially not a big Reusse guy.

Royce? Reese? Who cares. I know he sucks.

I've always thought it was like re-you-see

Top Bottom