Penn St finishing 2nd???

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
All they need to do is beat Iowa in 37 hours and have Michigan State beat Purdue over the weekend and they will be the 2 seed at the BTT by virtue of having a 3-1 record against Purdue and Illinois this year. Illinois would be 3rd with a 2-2 record against the other 2 and Purdue would be the 4 with a 1-3 record against the 2 teams.

All they need to do is beat Iowa in 37 hours.

This sets up for a Hawkeye upset, though. PSU coming off an emotional win, only one day between games, Big Ten road game, and Iowa is actually 12-4 at home this year. They are 4-4 in Big Ten home games with wins over Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana. They have close losses at home to OSU, MN, and Purdue.

I think Iowa wins it, which would be good for us. I think that would put PSU as the 4 and (if we beat Michigan) us at the 5. I think I'd rather play PSU than Purdue in that opener in Indy.

Boy, if we lose to Michigan, though, that hurts. We could slide all the way to the 9th seed!

We have to beat Michigan on Saturday, who knows what this team will do away from Williams Arena. Beat Michigan and we are in, I dont like our chances agaisnt Purdue in a de-facto home game for them in Indianapolis.

What's the deal with PSU fans rushing the court all the time? Relax guys - you didn't win a championship!

It's amazing that PSU could end up finishing 2nd in the Big Ten. I think most teams in the conference would rather play PSU than whoever ends up, say,7th in the conference.

Amazingly, if I figured this right PSU could also finish as low as the 7th seed and it isn't all that far-fetched. What if:

--MN beats Michigan
--OSU beats Northwestern
--Wisconsin beats IU
--Iowa beats PSU

That leaves MN, Wis, PSU, and OSU all at 10-8. As I figure it, PSU finished last in that four-team head-to-head mix and would drop to 7th.

This is a mess!

Exactly tj, but isn't this the exact reason we all love college basketball so much and especially at this time of the year??

Amazingly, if I figured this right PSU could also finish as low as the 7th seed and it isn't all that far-fetched. What if:

--MN beats Michigan
--OSU beats Northwestern
--Wisconsin beats IU
--Iowa beats PSU

That leaves MN, Wis, PSU, and OSU all at 10-8. As I figure it, PSU finished last in that four-team head-to-head mix and would drop to 7th.

This is a mess!

Yup this is completely accurate. It is crazy that PSU has the tie breakers against the top teams and loses the tie breakers to the middle of the pack teams. We actually have something similar going on, by virtue of a 2-0 record vs. Wisconsin the best thing for the Gophers is to have Wisconsin finish in a tie with us so that the sweep goes in to any tie breaker calculation.

I would love to see 8 teams from the Big Ten get to the dance and dominate. It is crazy that 9!! teams have a legitimate chance of being picked.

How much fun is this??? It all comes down to the last weekend.

When the PSU fans stormed the court, did anyone notice Battle getting swept up in the crowd. I thought he looked a bit scared actually. Good for PSU and their fans though -- this has a chance to be a dream season for them. That said, go Iowa!!! Crush the dream!!!

Top Bottom