The Broman Brothers

DTOWNGOPHER

Reaction score
Last night in Duluth there was a David vs Goliath match up between 4A East and 1A Lakeview. There were 5 potential d-1 players in this game (east's Johnny Woodard, Akolda Manyang,Taylor Stafford; and Lakeview junior Anders Broman and freshman Bjorn Broman) This was the first time I've seen Anders Broman play, I came away pretty impressed, both him and his younger brother who is only a freshman were lights out from 3 all night, and they both play pretty good defense. All 5 players were pretty impressive overall. Manyang the 7 footer from east got into follow trouble early so only played half the game, he is extremely raw but has potential, of the five I mentioned I was least impressed with Manyang but that's the only game I've seen him play. East won only 92-83, there were 2,200 plus people in the gym, and East did have to turn away over 300 plus fans. We'll see how both teams seasons shake out after playoffs, but maybe these Broman brothers might start attracting some interest from the gophers. Has anyone else seen them play?

DTown: Charge up your blast shield. You've commented favorably about a couple of outstate Minnesota players. The crowd here is about to blast you. Watch for comments about lack of athleticism.

DTown: Charge up your blast shield. You've commented favorably about a couple of outstate Minnesota players. The crowd here is about to blast you. Watch for comments about lack of athleticism.

I expect he will catch some flak but not as much as anyone who posts something positive about a kid from upper Wisconsin. I think it is a safe bet that 90% of the posters here have never seen Ellenson play....but many have an opinion.

I actually played against them in high school - Anders is real good. Keying on him barely even puts a dent in his stats. The real thing is here: East is HUGE compared to Lakeview. I'm pretty sure the Lakeview classes are pushing 20 kids each? The rest of their team (at least when we played them) were very below average. When you lose to a team like East by 10 points with mediocre talent surrounding the two Broman stars it really says something. Don't really know much about Bjorn. He looked like he was 10 when we played him my senior year. Benefits from the attention on Anders.

This is taken from TC Hoops Czar, posted 1-28-2012.... PSA wins 90-88. Anders Broman finishes with 30 points and 6 rebounds on 11-21 FGs. It stuck out to me that most of his offense was fade away pull ups. Great that he has a midrange game (unheard in today's players) but nothing at the rim. That shows me that he lacks some size and burst to play at the D1 level. Combine that with questions about his 3 point range and position (2 in a 1s body) and I think he projects as a productive NSIC player.

He was surprisingly more athletic than I thought he would be. When he did guard Woodard he didn't look bad and he could keep up with Stafford who is very fast for East. He might have the tools, he'll have to get his team to state so he can showcase his skills tho.

will have to get some summer showcase exposure to see where his next level will likely be

I expect he will catch some flak but not as much as anyone who posts something positive about a kid from upper Wisconsin. I think it is a safe bet that 90% of the posters here have never seen Ellenson play....but many have an opinion.

Yes, I've seen those skeptics here.

Norm Grow had 70 in 1958.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/224024/

Broman erupts for 71 in 114-110 loss
Anders Broman's 71 points shattered the Northeastern Minnesota boys basketball standard by 10 points, were the second-most in state history and more than all but 15 Class A teams average per game.
By: Rick Weegman, Duluth News Tribune
Anders Broman

Anders Broman scored a career-high and area-record 71 points in a 114-110 loss Saturday afternoon.

Just how good of a game did Lakeview Christian Academy’s Anders Broman have Saturday against Melrose Area?

His 71 points shattered the Northeastern Minnesota boys basketball standard by 10 points, were the second-most in state history and more than all but 15 Class A teams average per game.

Yet they still weren’t enough to win the game — Melrose pulled out a 114-110 thriller over the Lions at home.

“In this one, we needed every point he could put on the board, plus another few,” Lions coach Bob Newstrom said via cell phone on the bus ride home.

Broman scored 47 points in the second half as Lakeview (19-5) rallied from a 16-point halftime deficit to take the lead at one point until Melrose (18-6) made the last couple field goals to win.

“That’s what I was mad about; it was a bittersweet game,” Broman said of the defeat.

The junior guard was 8-for-13 from 3-point range, 13-for-14 from the free-throw line and shot 67 percent overall. He made six of his 3-pointers during the second-half comeback.

“I made a couple 3s to start the half, so I started feeling it,” he said. “It felt like everything I shot would go in. I love when those days happen.”

Broman also brought the ball up the court the last 10 minutes after his freshman brother, Bjorn, got in foul trouble, finishing with nine assists.

“I see him all the time so I know how good he can shoot, but today he was lights out,” said Bjorn, who had 14 assists. “I can tell when he’s feeling it (in warm-ups) and today he was feeling it a lot.”

Broman topped the 61 points Moose Lake-Willow River’s Brian Jamros scored in 2000 for the most in the region and also bypassed previous record-holders Ron Johnson of Starbuck (69 in 1953) and Norm Grow of Foley (70 in 1958), falling short only to the 90 Minnesota Transitions’ Cash Eggleston ran up in an 84-point blowout in 2005.

This time, nobody was running up the score. Lakeview needed Broman’s performance just to stay close in what goes down as the sixth-highest scoring game in Minnesota annals.

“We dug ourselves out of a big hole and went ahead and looked like we were going to get the better of them on the scoreboard, but to their credit they made some big shots,” Newstrom said. “This is definitely the best we’ve played all year. We have to feel good about it even though we didn’t win.”

Scottie Stone led Melrose with 39 points and Isaac Sawyer added 30.

Broman already is the state’s second-highest career scorer with more than a year to play, and his current season total of 1,040 is among the top five of all-time. He’s being recruited by a host of Division I universities — among them Virginia Tech, Texas-El Paso, Northwestern, the University of San Diego, San Diego State, Lehigh and Northern Iowa.

With Saturday’s 71-point performance, more schools likely will be knocking on his door soon.

Lakeview Christian: 46-64—110

Melrose Area: 62-52—114

Lakeview Christian Academy — Anders Broman 71, Luke Borchardt 16, Bjorn Broman 11, Adam Fuchs 6, Josh Plys 3, Ethan Lawler 3. Totals 40 18-28 110.

3-point goals — A. Broman 8, B. Broman.

Melrose Area — Scottie Stone 39, Isaac Sawyer 30, Ryan Elfering 18, Seth Noll 10, Nathan Goebel 6, Mitch Niehaus 6, Mitch Reller 5. Totals 44 14-19 114.

3-point goals — Elfering 4, Sawyer 3.

Does Anders remind anyone of Jake Sullivan?

I remember Jake being one of the best high school players I have ever seen. He was not a good athlete but he kept working and shooting and eventually had a really solid career at Iowa St. He was about 6'1" 175 as a senior. He was the point guard on his high school team though. He also was one of the best 3pt shooter I had ever seen. I believe he shot 2000 shots a day. Now that is commitment.

I don't think you can have to many subpar atheletes on a team, but a good coach can find a way for a lights out shooter to get on the court.

Top Bottom