who will Iowa play in the 1st round of the NCAAs

They were terrible in the non-conference though.

I think they are in if they win the next 3 games. @Illinois @Nebraska Vs NW if they beat Illinois and Nebraska the NW game could be a play in game.

No way we get in. Not with our nonconference a) opponents and b) record.

Iowa has put together some impressive wins and their conference record would suggest they have a good shot, but they really screwed themselves over in the non-conference. Pretty tough to make up for that. However if they win their next 3 and then win a couple in the Big Ten tournament they would actually have a pretty good chance I think.

8-10 and two wins in the B1G tournament and Iowa is in. Wisconsin is sliding toward an 8 seed.

Iowa's resume is a complete mess.

3-3 vs. RPI top 25 - very good and impressive
0-6 vs. RPI 26-75 - WTF?
4 losses to teams RPI 125+ (including 1 last week vs. Penn St.)
Non-conference RPI of 251
Non-conference SOS of 304
Overall RPI of 79

It seems like they are playing better recently but they are 4-6 over their last 10. In my opinion, they have to win 4 more games to get in, whether it's during the season or the tournament. Those 4 bad losses are hard to get over and their non-conference SOS/RPI is horrendous. The committee says they like to reward teams for playing quality non-conference slates and Iowa did no such thing. No way they get in at 8-10 unless they get to the BTT championship game and even then it would be a maybe.

Matt summed it up very well. Iowa has no prayer unless MAYBE they win out and get to the BTT title game.

15-13 with a current RPI of #126 doesn't spell at-large candidate.

I do agree that Iowa could be dangerous in Indianapolis. They're the perfect example of a program gradually getting better, gaining confidence, but still with many ups and downs. I think Iowa and the Gophers will have similar roles in Indy. ... hoping to be a BTT Cinderella, but first & foremost trying to win a game or 2 to make sure they're playing in the postseason (NIT).

I think Iowa's emergence has been impressive, but don't forget they also received the benefit of playing BOTH Ohio State and Michigan State only ONCE each. That is likely a two-game swing compared to other teams who had to play those two programs twice each.

That said, anyone who isn't paying attention to what McCaffery is doing there, should start. He has a really good recruiting class coming in, and those people down there are starting to get excited about hoops again. If they start filling that place like they used to, then there's another program to worry about with regard Minnesota's standing in the Big Ten and the difficulty present in trying to climb through the pack.

I'd also add, Iowa is in a position somewhat similar to Penn State last year as they wound down. I think Penn State was 15-13 with an RPI around 85 at this time last year and ended up in the tourney. So, as usual, SS is probably correct. Should IA win 2-3 more regular season games (good chance with remaining games vs. Ill, NW, & Neb) and get to the BTT title game, they have a real shot at getting in.

Iowa

They have a couple of bad non conference losses: Brown and at home to clemson. I dont think loosing at northern Iowa, at Iowa St., and to creighton at home are horrendous losses. Although creighton really burried them.

I wonder if Iowa will pass us in conference standings next year? If their highly rated center woodbury is good enough to start they will have?

pg marble jr
sg oglesby so
sf white so
pf Basabe jr
c woodbury fr

bench: mccabe and may
I think their future looks quite alright.

They lost to Campbell (#194 in the RPI & the 2nd-place team in the Big South) at home and to the 2 bottom teams in the Big Ten, both with RPI's north of #134.

They have a couple of bad non conference losses: Brown and at home to clemson. I dont think loosing at northern Iowa, at Iowa St., and to creighton at home are horrendous losses. Although creighton really burried them.

I wonder if Iowa will pass us in conference standings next year? If their highly rated center woodbury is good enough to start they will have?

pg marble jr
sg oglesby so
sf white so
pf Basabe jr
c woodbury fr

bench: mccabe and may
I think their future looks quite alright.

Next year? They have already passed Minnesota in the standings this year.

They will not get in. They have some nice wins but some terrible losses. We have no terrible losses except to Iowa.

My bad I should have said will they keep improving their standings over the gophers. I can't believe I am even saying that. How can Iowa rebuild this fast and we keep spinning our wheels?

How can Iowa rebuild this fast and we keep spinning our wheels?

I do think McCaffery is doing a fantastic job, but will he get the Hawkeyes to the NCAA tourney in just his 2nd year? Let's not revise history simply because Tubby's program is struggling right now.

I do think McCaffery is doing a fantastic job, but will he get the Hawkeyes to the NCAA tourney in just his 2nd year? Let's not revise history simply because Tubby's program is struggling right now.

Exactly. Iowa hasn't been in the postseason since 2007 and still has work to do to get to postseason this year and will likely need to work hard to get there next year (Gatens graduates). Iowa hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 2001.

But, as I said earlier in this thread, they are trending in a positive manner with a fanbase that is slowly starting to return and a nice recruiting class.

It certainly helps to have a senior like Gatens who has stepped up his play in Big Ten play, especially the past few weeks. He's now shooting over 50% from beyond the arch in conference play, and has made 27 of 38 from 3-point land in the past five games. Ridiculous.

I think they would get in taking are of Northwestern and winning 2 games in the big ten tourney. They put more emphasis on the late wins more than the early losses.

Iowa overall record is 16-14. They have to win the big ten tourney to have any shot of the NCAA.

Top Bottom