Miscellaneous NCAA Tournament Factoids

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Time to post the 3 lists I trot out prior to every season and then again as we approach March Madness. Current status is noted in parentheses.

NCAA Tournament Every Year Since 2000
1. Duke (lock)
2. Gonzaga (lock)
3. Kansas (lock)
4. Michigan State (lock)
5. Texas (on the bubble)
6. Wisconsin (lock)

BCS Programs with No NCAA Appearances Since 2000
1. Nebraska (B1G Tournament title or bust)
2. Northwestern (on the bubble)
3. Oregon State (Pac 12 Tournament title or bust)
4. Rutgers (Big East Tournament title or bust)
5. USF (on the bubble)

BCS Programs with Zero NCAA Wins Since 2000
1. Colorado (on the bottom of end of a weak bubble)
2. Minnesota (B1G Tournament title or bust)
3. Nebraska (see above)
4. Northwestern (see above)
5. Oregon State (see above)
6. Providence (Big East Tournament title or bust)
7. Rutgers (see above)
8. South Carolina (SEC Tournament title or bust)
9. USF (see above)

So...

Which team has the highest paid coach on that last list?

Sorry, couldn't resist, thanks SS.

Time to post the 3 lists I trot out prior to every season and then again as we approach March Madness. Current status is noted in parentheses.

NCAA Tournament Every Year Since 2000
1. Duke (lock)
2. Gonzaga (lock)
3. Kansas (lock)
4. Michigan State (lock)
5. Texas (on the bubble)
6. Wisconsin (lock)

BCS Programs with No NCAA Appearances Since 2000
1. Nebraska (B1G Tournament title or bust)
2. Northwestern (on the bubble)
3. Oregon State (Pac 12 Tournament title or bust)
4. Rutgers (Big East Tournament title or bust)
5. USF (on the bubble)

BCS Programs with Zero NCAA Wins Since 2000
1. Colorado (on the bottom of end of a weak bubble)
2. Minnesota (B1G Tournament title or bust)
3. Nebraska (see above)
4. Northwestern (see above)
5. Oregon State (see above)
6. Providence (Big East Tournament title or bust)
7. Rutgers (see above)
8. South Carolina (SEC Tournament title or bust)
9. USF (see above)

SS - what is your knowledge/take on rutgers and its coach?

I have watched a few of their games this season, and they have quite a group of freshmen, at least from what I can see. Any insight on the coach, etc?

BB, Mike Rice. ... Don't know a whole lot about him, but he was pretty successful in his short stint at Robert Morris. Saw his RMU team in the NCAA's at Providence a few years ago, and they really should have beat Villanova in the first round. He's looking like a pretty nice upgrade from the previous coach (Fred Hill), who's now an assistant for Carmody at Northwestern.

I'd like to see some more folks targeting the Big 12 and trotting out facts about their lack of Final Four appearances recently. You don't hear the media harping on the fact that the Big 12 has a grand total of one F4 appearance for the entire conference since 2004. Of course, that one appearance was a NC. But I think the reality is the top teams in the Big 12 are overhyped annually, and the odds are they won't have an F4 team yet again. Kansas the past two years was picked by many if not most analysts to win the championship, yet didn't make the F4 and lost to mid-majors in both years. I think one of the reasons KU is overestimated is they are so dominant at home, but people assume they are like UNC because they are a brand name but in reality they are more like Wisconsin - dominant at home but very capable of being beat away from home. Missouri has as little depth as any team that will make the tournament, has never made the F4 in their history, and has been swept by a 7-10 seed type team in Kansas State, yet I'm sure there will be idiots out there picking them to the F4. People get too caught up in flashy plays on offense and ignore the fact that you have to win grinders to get to the F4, and I don't think the Big 12 teams are well-suited to do that.

I'd like to see some more folks targeting the Big 12 and trotting out facts about their lack of Final Four appearances recently. You don't hear the media harping on the fact that the Big 12 has a grand total of one F4 appearance for the entire conference since 2004. Of course, that one appearance was a NC. But I think the reality is the top teams in the Big 12 are overhyped annually, and the odds are they won't have an F4 team yet again. Kansas the past two years was picked by many if not most analysts to win the championship, yet didn't make the F4 and lost to mid-majors in both years. I think one of the reasons KU is overestimated is they are so dominant at home, but people assume they are like UNC because they are a brand name but in reality they are more like Wisconsin - dominant at home but very capable of being beat away from home. Missouri has as little depth as any team that will make the tournament, has never made the F4 in their history, and has been swept by a 7-10 seed type team in Kansas State, yet I'm sure there will be idiots out there picking them to the F4. People get too caught up in flashy plays on offense and ignore the fact that you have to win grinders to get to the F4, and I don't think the Big 12 teams are well-suited to do that.
+1 great point

Good point. I just looked at totals for final 4 appearances in the past 15 years, and didn't realize how many times big ten teams made it. I for one tend to underestimate the conference at time, but it has done very well.

Another Factoid

There are 5 schools that were original members of the NCAA that have NEVER made it to the Dance:

Army
William & Mary
The Citadel
Northwestern
St. Francis (NY)

SS- Any of these these teams have a chance other than N'western?

There are 5 schools that were original members of the NCAA that have NEVER made it to the Dance:

Army
William & Mary
The Citadel
Northwestern
St. Francis (NY)

SS- Any of these these teams have a chance other than N'western?

St. Francis-NY is decent and might have a chance. 4th in the NEC, but the top two are pretty strong, LIU and Wagner (Hurley brothers).

Top Bottom