I've got Kaler's back

gophergv

Reaction score
During one of those intense moments at Williams Arena when the fans finally stand President Kaler was the first on his feet. This guy gets it.

During one of those intense moments at Williams Arena when the fans finally stand President Kaler was the first on his feet. This guy gets it.

Yet he needs search committees (both internally and externally) to hire an A.D.

God forbid he actually has to perform one of his job repsonsibilities....

Yet he needs search committees (both internally and externally) to hire an A.D.

God forbid he actually has to perform one of his job repsonsibilities....

Why don't you fill us with your immense knowledge of the subject and list the last 5 Athletic Directors that have been hired without the same type of organization?

Search committees are a lot more then a handful of people sorting through job applications. For high profile positions like this they oversee extensive background investigations of candidates, preliminary contract work, establish employment qualifications, ect.

Being the the President of a major university system is very time intensive. Athletics at the flagship university are important, but still a small piece of the University of Minnesota System pie.

If President Kaler wasn't using a search committee then I would question leadership abilities.

I don't usually post on the Basketball thread much, but I have to vent about how horrific the crowd was last night.

We were battling the #6 team in the nation with a tourney birth heavily relying on a big upset and the place was dead. All the gray haired folks inbetween the baskets are flat out embarrissing, most don't even stand for the rouser. Kaler was one of a few who would attempt to give the team some energy and a home court advantage for more than the last minute of each half so major props to him. The student section was also depressing outside of the fat heads during free throws, which are awesome.

I don't usually post on the Basketball thread much, but I have to vent about how horrific the crowd was last night.

We were battling the #6 team in the nation with a tourney birth heavily relying on a big upset and the place was dead. All the gray haired folks inbetween the baskets are flat out embarrissing, most don't even stand for the rouser. Kaler was one of a few who would attempt to give the team some energy and a home court advantage for more than the last minute of each half so major props to him. The student section was also depressing outside of the fat heads during free throws, which are awesome.

Hard to energize a fan base when you are 6-20 in your last 26 B10 games and have not won an "official" NCAA tourney game since 1990.

Hard to energize a fan base when you are 6-20 in your last 26 B10 games and have not won an "official" NCAA tourney game since 1990.

You sure love pulling that out, and conveniently starting it when Nolan went down last year.

You're a turd.

You sure love pulling that out, and conveniently starting it when Nolan went down last year.

You're a turd.

You are hilarious. Someone has a thought or opinion different from you and you call them names or tell them they're full of B.S.

What are you....7 years old?

It's an intenet message board for cripes sake. It's not duckies and bunnies and unicorns and glitter.....

You are hilarious. Someone has a thought or opinion different from you and you call them names or tell them they're full of B.S.

It's an intenet message board for cripes sake. It's not duckies and bunnies and unicorns and glitter.....

Art, if you live to be as old as I am, you will realize that it is duckies and bunnies and unicorns and glitter.

I'm pointing out that this single jack-hole likes to state the record beginning in the middle of the B10 schedule last year when we lost one point guard to injury while the other one smoked his way out of school. I think that type of argument is BS.

I also find it quite funny that you try to insult me by saying that I call people names while asking if I'm a 7 year-old in the next sentence.

This is an internet message board, and I will keep coming here and telling jack-holes with agendas that I do not appreciate their contributions.

So how about you busy yourself with answering the first question I asked you in this thread?

Oh...that's right Art. You like the hit-and-run comment. Change the discussion, deflect, deflect, deflect. Fly off to a different thread to make baseless accusations.

I'm pointing out that this single jack-hole likes to state the record beginning in the middle of the B10 schedule last year when we lost one point guard to injury while the other one smoked his way out of school. I think that type of argument is BS.

I also find it quite funny that you try to insult me by saying that I call people names while asking if I'm a 7 year-old in the next sentence.

This is an internet message board, and I will keep coming here and telling jack-holes with agendas that I do not appreciate their contributions.

So how about you busy yourself with answering the first question I asked you in this thread?

Oh...that's right Art. You like the hit-and-run comment. Change the discussion, deflect, deflect, deflect. Fly off to a different thread to make baseless accusations.

I think it would be a jack-hole thing if he were using that point in time to try to discredit the coach or team (which I'm sure has happened on other threads), but in terms of discussing the reasons behind the fan base not being energized, that injury was the beginning of 26 games filled with a lot of disappointment, and that is going to suck the wind out of a fan base regardless of what the cause of that futility was.

Jack-hole? Wow :clap:

It's the President's job to hire an Athletic Director - not the hockey coach or the starting QB.

I don't even know who the last 5 AD's were to be hired. Can you help me out m'boy?

It's the President's job to hire an Athletic Director - not the hockey coach or the starting QB.

I don't think it's been since I interviewed to be a dishwasher as a kid that I only interviewed with one person.

For you to be so clueless as to think it should be handled otherwise speaks volumes about your ability to reason.

I don't think it's been since I interviewed to be a dishwasher as a kid that I only interviewed with one person.

For you to be so clueless as to think it should be handled otherwise speaks volumes about your ability to reason.

All I know is that if I were the President at one of the largest universities in this great country - and I needed to hire someone to run my Athletic Department - I would always have a list of possible candidates ready to go at a moment's notice. Kaler knew during his interview process that the new President would be hiring a new AD because it's no secret Maturi was on the way out. He's had a lot of time to ponder this.

I'm not saying Kaler should be the only one to interview AD candidates. I'm saying it's his job to indentify possible candidates and spearhead the process - not the job of the starting QB, a volleyball player, or the hockey coach. Save the money wasted on this "search committee" and put it towards a practice facillity.

Like Souhan tweeted the other day.....is Kaler giving 5% of his salary to this internal search committee since they're doing his job?

All I know is that if I were the President at one of the largest universities in this great country - and I needed to hire someone to run my Athletic Department - I would always have a list of possible candidates ready to go at a moment's notice. Kaler knew during his interview process that the new President would be hiring a new AD because it's no secret Maturi was on the way out. He's had a lot of time to ponder this.

How do you know that all of those things aren't true?

I'm not saying Kaler should be the only one to interview AD candidates. I'm saying it's his job to indentify possible candidates and spearhead the process - not the job of the starting QB, a volleyball player, or the hockey coach.

What in the hell gave you the idea that either of MarQueis Gray or Don Lucia is out looking for AD candidates? Are you aware of the definition of the word "advisory"?

Save the money wasted on this "search committee" and put it towards a practice facillity.

And what in the hell gave you the idea that any of these people are being paid for anything?

Like Souhan tweeted the other day.....is Kaler giving 5% of his salary to this internal search committee since they're doing his job?

Like Soupcan, you are clueless as to how hiring processes work at a major university.

1) Fair point.

2) Advising on what? What the heck do either of them know about hiring an AD? Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest for Lucia since the new AD will be his boss?

3) Are you saying this Parker Executive Search Firm (or whatever they're called) is doing this for free?

4) Tell me how it's done then? Kaler gets paid a lot of money and will make his bed with this hire. He needs to stop delegating and find his guy.

This is exactly the path I had in mind for this thread to take.

4) Tell me how it's done then? Kaler gets paid a lot of money and will make his bed with this hire. He needs to stop delegating and find his guy.

If Kaler talks to a potential candidate for athletic director, that becomes public by state law. Good luck with your pool of candidates.

I'm sure you'd love to have the entire country know you were looking for a new job.

This is exactly the path I had in mind for this thread to take.
A couple hundred more posts and you'll go numb regarding the relevance or profundity of any idea you have and the inane, irrational responses it prompts. How the most thoughtful points you make are passed over for the most irrelevant non-sequitors. Don't give up, gophergv! It is only gets worse - oops - I mean better!

Top Bottom