The February-March Numbers: They're not pretty

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Have always considered myself a numbers ("stats") guy. I post the following numbers understanding that stats don't always tell the whole story. What's the saying, "Figures never lie, and liars never figure"?

I think we'd all agree that each of the last two seasons the Gophers have positioned themselves for a NCAA bid heading into the month of February. The reality is playing just .500 basketball would have put them in the NCAA either year. But what have those solid November-January starts got them?

In college basketball parlance, February and March are "winning time". Teams that weren't great shakes in November-January can vault themselves into the NCAA tourney/NCAA consideration, or teams that performed well can play their way out of the tournament. Unfortunately, in each of the last two seasons, the Gophers are in the latter group. Last night was another example of the difference between a program that knows what to do when it's winning time (that would be MSU -- confidence, poise, play like they've been there before) and one that doesn't (that would be the Gophers -- unsightly late-game possessions, play scared, start looking at the clock, start playing not to lose).

The ugly numbers for the Gophers in February/March in 2010-11 and 2011-12. ...
February/March Record: 2-14
February/March (games decided by 9 points or less): 1-9
February/March (games decided by 6 points or less): 0-6
February/March (games decided in OT): 0-1

Because I'm frustrated (like most the rest of you), I'm going to limit myself to 1 positive comment and 1 negative comment. Going into a 3-page diatribe about last night serves no purpose, although this is as close as I'll get.:)

First, the bad. Despite about 34 minutes of the best basketball we've played in a long time, last night's meltdown is on Tubby & the staff. In the last 5-6 minutes we started playing not to lose instead of playing to win. That falls on the coaching staff, not the players. The Gophers played their guts out last night.

The possession that boggled my mind was the one right after Sparty tied the game at 58, think there was about a minute left. We have the ball and 3 timeouts left, it's the most important possession of the game -- Ralph has played his best game in a long, long time (despite foul trouble) -- we need a bucket, and Ralph is on the bench. He was a factor in this game, it's the biggest offensive possession of the game, and we don't even call a timeout to get him on the floor so that we have someone else who is a threat to score. Instead, we leave EE in the game, who basically Sparty doesn't even have to guard. Completely baffles me. If I didn't already know it, after that possession I pretty much knew it was game over.

The good? Despite a few folks indicating they saw otherwise in Evanston, IMO the Gophers have not quit on Tubby. What I saw in Evanston was a poorly played game by a group of frustrated players. Those frustrated players played poorly, but they did not quit. And last night certainly shows Tubby's guys are still playing for him. This is not a Illinois/Bruce Weber situation, not yet anyways. Weber's guys have quit on him. That's not the case here. If or when his players quit on Tubby, then I'll be concerned.

Beat Indiana.

We can still salvage something out of this season. 2 more wins of any kind, I think, should get us into the NIT. Feel free to knock the NIT. I fully understand it's the tourney no one aspires to (I know I don't), but this season for THIS PROGRAM it could serve a purpose. For better or worse, the guys playing now (save for Ralph) are our team next season, so the more games they get the better. Gophers need to find a way to end the season on a positive note, unlike last season. Last night showed we're still willing and able against a high-quality team if we can find a way to finish games. It's time to start changing the numbers listed above.

The good the bad and the coulda been. The coulda been: We finish the game playing aggressively as we had all game. We win by 6 or 8 - as we should have. The students rush the floor mobbing the players who start to think this is fun again. Tyus in the crowd begins to get a vision of what winning basketball here in his home state could look like. We wake up this moring with renewed hope thinking we are back on the bubble with 3 meaningful games left.

Now, for me, it's time to start playing for next year. Have to play Andre Hollins 30 minutes from here on out at the point. If he's not your point next year we have another long year ahead of us. Time to find out. Nothing to lose. By all means beat Indiana. I'd love to see a run in the NIT. Let these guys loose and let them have some fun. I'm tired of the point guard walking up the floor with the ball looking backwards at Tubby. Where's that letter I got with my season tickets this fall that promised me in Tubby's words that we were going to run this year?

The question is how do they change those numbers? The player they need to step up either can't or for whatever reason won't and would rather defer to others to make a play.

I understand the have young players but they have played almost a full season now and this was the 7th type of late game situation in conference they have faced this year. I have seen a young Michigan guard make plays at the end of games to help his team win. Somebody on the Gophers needs to do the same.

I was so happy for Ralph. He was a difference out there and then that lousy (imo) third foul call really threw a wrench into things. After he picks up the fourth (with 7:47 left ), I think there was less than a minute left when he reappeared. I mentioned it in another thread, so I'm getting redundant. Baffles me why he didn't get in sooner. Tubby has to be just on the cusp of losing them after last nights ending. Tubby mentioned in some post game interview they don't have a go to guy. That has to be on him to a large extent. The first 35 minutes or so, oh I was believing. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, should be 7-8 at least.

BGA, I've never been a proponent of rushing the floor, but you're right, it would have been a great thing for this program, and I would have been all for it & enjoyed every minute of it.

Last night was another one of those nights where I left the building telling myself, "I can't do this any longer. I can't continue to invest myself emotionally (and financially) into something that more often than not frustrates the bejeebers out of me. ... It's not worth it." As I said to my father (a MSU grad) after last night, "Man, it must be fun to be a fan of MSU, Kansas, Duke, UNC. I'd never get sick of winning every single season. It would never get old."

But the next morning, I always feel better and know I'll come back.

For me, at least, part of what I find quite frustrating is that the Gophers have proven they can play with anyone in the conference, save Ohio State, who I think we just don't match up against. Now I'm not sure how many losses we've had this year being up by 10 or so in the second half but I'm thinking 4 ( at least ). As they say - the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. My wife was lamenting last night that we're not a good enough ball handling team to run out the clock on possessions and then we're not a good enough shooting team to be able to get or make our shot with less than 10 seconds on the clock.

There's a lot worse things happening in daily life than losing a basketball game but darn if this isn't a bit frustrating.

We've had 7 Big Ten games this season that could have gone either way, and we've lost 6 of them. Very frustrating.

The good the bad and the coulda been. The coulda been: We finish the game playing aggressively as we had all game. We win by 6 or 8 - as we should have. The students rush the floor mobbing the players who start to think this is fun again. Tyus in the crowd begins to get a vision of what winning basketball here in his home state could look like. We wake up this moring with renewed hope thinking we are back on the bubble with 3 meaningful games left.

Now, for me, it's time to start playing for next year. Have to play Andre Hollins 30 minutes from here on out at the point. If he's not your point next year we have another long year ahead of us. Time to find out. Nothing to lose. By all means beat Indiana. I'd love to see a run in the NIT. Let these guys loose and let them have some fun. I'm tired of the point guard walking up the floor with the ball looking backwards at Tubby. Where's that letter I got with my season tickets this fall that promised me in Tubby's words that we were going to run this year?

Basketball coaches on all levels always promise a fast paced game and rarely deliver.

Amelia Rayno had a blog a few days ago with her proposed starting lineup. IIRC, she had Dre, Chip, Rodney, EE and Joe starting. I like that lineup because it's the most athletic combination available. (Tubby seems determined to send Chip out of town, so our opportunities to see him are probably dwindling.)

Give me Izzo, Crean, Beilein (sp?), Painter, Carmoudy, Matta and even Weber with this roster and we would see very different results.

Basketball coaches on all levels always promise a fast paced game and rarely deliver.

Amelia Rayno had a blog a few days ago with her proposed starting lineup. IIRC, she had Dre, Chip, Rodney, EE and Joe starting. I like that lineup because it's the most athletic combination available. (Tubby seems determined to send Chip out of town, so our opportunities to see him are probably dwindling.)

Give me Izzo, Crean, Beilein (sp?), Painter, Carmoudy, Matta and even Weber with this roster and we would see very different results.

+1 But I have to edit Weber out of that group. Weber has some really nice ball players there to be 5-10.

+1 But I have to edit Weber out of that group. Weber has some really nice ball players there to be 5-10.

This has been an off year for him. I would take him over Tubby every time.

A little off topic, but I would add that Pat Chambers is doing one h*ll of a job in his 1st season at Penn State. Getting 4 Big Ten wins (and maybe more) out of that motley crew is quite an accomplishment.

A good way to lose credibility is to even insinuate that Weber can coach, because he can't.

[B]Give me Izzo, Crean, Beilein (sp?), Painter, Carmoudy, Matta and even Weber with this roster and we would see very different results[/B].

I can't help commenting on this list. Conspicuously absent are Ryan (I know this board hates him, but look at his record) and McCaffery who I think is doing well above expectations at Iowa). And having Weber on the list immediately makes it suspect.

I can't help commenting on this list. Conspicuously absent are Ryan (I know this board hates him, but look at his record) and McCaffery who I think is doing well above expectations at Iowa). And having Weber on the list immediately makes it suspect.

Ryan is absent because he is talking about up-tempo. Ryan is a lot of things but he is not up-tempo.

I would definitely add Ryan. I just forgot to include him.

Top Bottom