Radio broadcast last nights game

Reaction score
Spencer has seen enough. I only got to listen to the last 3 minutes of the game but
Spencer seems to be sick of Tubby. Made comments like "I wanna puke", "This is unacceptable" and coming out of the Gopher's second to last timeout when they ran a bad play commented, "thats all they could come up with in the timeout?".

While many don't want to blame Tubby, does anyone look at it from another way? If our head coach wasn't named Tubby Smith he'd have been canned by now based on our futility in the Big Ten.

Spencer has seen enough. I only got to listen to the last 3 minutes of the game but
Spencer seems to be sick of Tubby. Made comments like "I wanna puke", "This is unacceptable" and coming out of the Gopher's second to last timeout when they ran a bad play commented, "thats all they could come up with in the timeout?".

While many don't want to blame Tubby, does anyone look at it from another way? If our head coach wasn't named Tubby Smith he'd have been canned by now based on our futility in the Big Ten.

Spencer has been hinting at that for a while now.

Spencer is Moronic. One minute he says the gophers need to play to win, one minute later later he says dont play to win play to go into overtime. Spencer needs to get canned

Well, let's see, Spencer played the game, has been around the team and coaches. Hmm....so I guess the above poster is more in tune with the BB than Spencer is

Spencer is Moronic. One minute he says the gophers need to play to win, one minute later later he says dont play to win play to go into overtime. Spencer needs to get canned

During the minute the Gophers had let Sparta go on a run. He was talking about different situations. The first was when you have a multiple possession lead, he wants us to actually run our offense to score and drive the nail in the coffin. The second situation was us down two, where he said he would rather drive inside for a two to tie the game than hope for a bad 3 to go in. Given that what we did with the lead did not work and what we did when down by two also did not work, I think saying that we should have been doing the opposite in both situations is pretty fair.

Last 5 minutes

The last 5 minutes of the game was textbook Tubbyball = offensive nightmare. I would appreciate Tubby describing what the team was trying to accomplish other than Welch working on his ball handling.

Too bad Tyus Jones was sitting 3 rows behind the bench to witness that garbage.

Sorry but whether the coach's name is Tubby Smith or John Doe, he wouldn't of been canned by now. Since the NCAA went to the field of 64 in '85, he's the only other coach besides Clem to go to the dance twice. Furthermore, he's the only coach to do it legitimately. Tubby's B1G is brutal though, there's no denying that. But we all have short memories and forget we were dancing in back-to-back years.

Nothing wrong with milking the clock a little with vs a better team a lead and 5-6 minutes left. If the gophs took the first halfway decent shot available with a 6pt lead and six minutes left spence and that strategy failed "AFTER THE FACT SPENCE" would geez if the gophs would have run a little more time off before shooting they could have wore down the Mich State defenders and reduced the number of possessions available to Izzo. Funny when Spence played the radio guys would rip him for shooting short fade aways rather then trying to draw contact on his shot attempts! THESCOUT!!!

Rupper Lets see tubby is one of handful of coaches to win over 365 games in his first 15 seasons he has a NCAA title Spence has never coached and never learned how to shoot freethrows so i guess we better listen to spence over tubby

Spencer sucks on the radio. I give him credit for speaking his mind. He makes Tim Doyle sound like Jay Bilas...

Spence aint afraid to hammer people which I understand that is part of his role. Good thing he didnt do the games when he played.

Rupper Lets see tubby is one of handful of coaches to win over 365 games in his first 15 seasons he has a NCAA title Spence has never coached and never learned how to shoot freethrows so i guess we better listen to spence over tubby

This has nothing to do with Spencer's ability to shoot freethrows. He has been coached at the highest level and is around the players/coaches. He's been to practices and does the games. Scout, I totally respect Tubby's career numbers, but I think at this stage he is a legend in his own mind, and I believe the game has passed hiim by.

How much NBA coaching does Spence have under his belt. I hope spence does not comment on free throw technique. Relative to Tubby Spence knows very little about NCAA D1 Coaching and I am waiting for him to man up and rip Tubby when Tubby is there to Educate him. He could make a lot more$$$ on the Bench if he was so Sharp. Its what you learn after you know it all that matters!

How much NBA coaching does Spence have under his belt. I hope spence does not comment on free throw technique. Relative to Tubby Spence knows very little about NCAA D1 Coaching and I am waiting for him to man up and rip Tubby when Tubby is there to Educate him. He could make a lot more$$$ on the Bench if he was so Sharp. Its what you learn after you know it all that matters!

Regardless of whether Spence was right or not on any specific comment does not mean that you need to be able to do a job better than someone to be able to evaluate them on it. Using that same logic, we should say that Tubby should not criticize Ralph for anything because Tubby can't be a more effective center in the B1G than Ralph. Or voters should not go to the polls unless they could do the jobs they are electing people for better than those they are voting on.

Sorry but whether the coach's name is Tubby Smith or John Doe, he wouldn't of been canned by now. Since the NCAA went to the field of 64 in '85, he's the only other coach besides Clem to go to the dance twice. Furthermore, he's the only coach to do it legitimately. Tubby's B1G is brutal though, there's no denying that. But we all have short memories and forget we were dancing in back-to-back years.

Need to be careful with this kind of approach. I understand your point, but if we don't start holding people to a higher standard, we never will improve either. It's a vicious circle. The question is how long we let a situation like this continue before someone steps up and says enough is enough. As everyone knows, we currently have no AD in place, so at a certain level ths point is moot. But once an AD is in place, letting these kind of performances continue because of the mindset of "boy, we're so lucky to have Tubby" keeps us exactly where we currently are.

Top Bottom