Rodney Williams foul with 3 seconds on the shot clock

Yeah, he really played well down the stretch; really looked like he wanted to be the go to guy.

I hope you're kidding every time he got the ball he passed it away.. He has no confidence in shooting the ball..

Bad call. I didn't think he fouled.

How isn't that a foul?? If he moves his feet instead of reaching, he forces the ballhandler to take an off balance shot with time expiring off the shot clock

I was amused with Rodney's initial reaction. His body language gave me the impression that Appling pushed off or something. Then I saw the replay...

I'm always really embarrassed for guys when they complain about the call after they made a boneheaded mistake.

I was amused with Rodney's initial reaction. His body language gave me the impression that Appling pushed off or something. Then I saw the replay...

I'm always really embarrassed for guys when they complain about the call after they made a boneheaded mistake.
It's a form of flopping.

How about Julian Welch turning the ball over and then allowing the MSU player to make a one on one layup in transition?

Yeah, he really played well down the stretch; really looked like he wanted to be the go to guy.

I can't even begin to think what goes through his head, minute 30 left, shot clock at 10, up 2, you are isolated on the side with the ball, I mean isolated, no one on the perimeter or the base, I don't care who you are, anyone and I mean anyone would dream of that situation, you have every option available, shoot the three, drive the base, cross over to the middle, pull up for a jumper or take it to the basket, create as you go, every players dream and he passes the ball.

I spent the whole drive home thinking about my anti Jim Burr rant only to see the replay and realize it was a good call. From my angle in the arena it looked like a bad call. Now its probably worse- can't even blame it on the ref.

Turnovers on the offensive end as the stall went into effect. It would have been so much better to lose the game the way we were winning it.
Our defense was good all night. Rodney did a great job on Green, and it is such a fine line to play between aggressive, effective defense and a foul. But at least that is active, reflects effort and passion.
Thanks for asking!

Turnovers on the offensive end as the stall went into effect. It would have been so much better to lose the game the way we were winning it.
Our defense was good all night. Rodney did a great job on Green, and it is such a fine line to play between aggressive, effective defense and a foul. But at least that is active, reflects effort and passion.
Thanks for asking!

Agreed. Once the stall commenced, we lost all confidence and sense of being the 'hunter.' I think a lot of that had to do with Ralph being on the bench for a big chunk of that stall, but then again, Tubby initiated the stall in the first place.

With that said though, Rodney's foul was a total mental lapse in a high-pressure situation. The stall in general is the reason we lost, but that play is going to stick out to most people as one that did us in.

Agreed. Once the stall commenced, we lost all confidence and sense of being the 'hunter.' I think a lot of that had to do with Ralph being on the bench for a big chunk of that stall, but then again, Tubby initiated the stall in the first place.

With that said though, Rodney's foul was a total mental lapse in a high-pressure situation. The stall in general is the reason we lost, but that play is going to stick out to most people as one that did us in.
Discussion over coffee this am and we both vote the multiple turnovers 'did us in'. We could have easily survived Rodney's foul.

Discussion over coffee this am and we both vote the multiple turnovers 'did us in'. We could have easily survived Rodney's foul.

I agree. We can't pin this on one thing, but given the position we were in, we would have won if one of any number of things had gone right and the problem is this team just didn't make that one thing happen.

I can't even begin to think what goes through his head, minute 30 left, shot clock at 10, up 2, you are isolated on the side with the ball, I mean isolated, no one on the perimeter or the base, I don't care who you are, anyone and I mean anyone would dream of that situation, you have every option available, shoot the three, drive the base, cross over to the middle, pull up for a jumper or take it to the basket, create as you go, every players dream and he passes the ball.

+1

Could not agree more. Rodney wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with that game. I like to think of him as the teams best player, but after deferring for the 3rd time in the last 8 mins of game don't you just take him out? He wanted no part in proactively helping the team win, so why keep him in there to just "go through the motions" as he admitted himself he tends to do.

What a competitor!

+1

Could not agree more. Rodney wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with that game. I like to think of him as the teams best player, but after deferring for the 3rd time in the last 8 mins of game don't you just take him out? He wanted no part in proactively helping the team win, so why keep him in there to just "go through the motions" as he admitted himself he tends to do.

What a competitor!

Rodney is a great athlete, a highlight reel and a decent player. Not a leader that will put a team on his back. next year that is going to have to be Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman if we are going to win. It will be interesting to see what toughness a healthy and more svelte Mo brings too.

Yea I'm excited to see what Mo can do for this team next year for sure. I didn't and would never expect Rodney to put the team on his back, but lordy you have to be aggressive in that situation. He showed earlier in the game that he was quick enough to get by Green. I remember one play in particular were he hesitated and then made a quick, long jump stop into the lane sure he missed the shot haha, but there is no sense in passing up oppurtunities like that IMO

Its obvious we need a guard that can go one on one when the game is on the line. Julian played very well until crunch time as the whole team in general. I like Spencer's comment that this losing at the end is getting old....

The only thing that should have been more embarrassing to Rodney than committing the foul (which was extremely obvious) was to complain about it. I do agree with others that this error was one of many during the last few minutes. Joe's double dribble, Julian's turnover in the lane, Austin's turnover in the lane all come to mind as other game changing mistakes.

I don't think that the call on Rodney's foul was the wrong one, but on the next play it looked as though a Michigan State player reached in on Julien before he passed to Austin. I thought it was bad officiating to call the foul on Rodney, but not on the MSU player, for almost the exact same thing.

Top Bottom