Blind Resume (Part 5)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Excluding weekends, I'll roughly do 1 or 2 per day through next week as we head toward Championship Week (begins Feb. 27). This exercise will familiarize us with potential bubble teams across the country.

I'll provide the resumes of 3 bubble teams & in each scenario you're the Selection Committee and you can only choose 1 of the 3 for inclusion in the NCAA Tournament. (you have to trust me that the teams are not considered locks for the NCAA Tournament) I will not list the team's RPI but will provide some of the basic things that I look at when selecting the 37 at-large teams. Please note that I've added another criteria. ... record in their last 10 games. You have about 3 hours to submit your selection here. I will disclose the teams at approximately 11 a.m.

Which 1 of these 3 would you select if you only had 1 spot left for your NCAA Tournament field?

Team A
Record: 16-9
Overall Strength of Schedule (SOS): 8
Nonconference SOS: 27
Road/Neutral Record: 4-8
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 2-4
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 6-7
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 2
Best 3 Wins by RPI: #29, #35, #74 (total = 138)
Last 10 Games: 5-5

Team B
Record: 16-11
Overall Strength of Schedule (SOS): 6
Nonconference SOS: 56
Road/Neutral Record: 5-7
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 2-7
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 5-11
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 0
Best 3 Wins by RPI: #4, vs. #30, vs. #66 (total = 100)
Last 10 Games: 4-6

Team C
Record: 17-10
Overall Strength of Schedule (SOS): 49
Nonconference SOS: 37
Road/Neutral Record: 6-7
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 2-6
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 6-9
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 1
Best 3 Wins by RPI: @ #26, #47, #55 (total = 128)
Last 10 Games: 5-5

If you think you've figured out who any of these teams are, please do not post the team(s) name, as that could influence people's selection.

I'd go team A, a better record than B and 8th vs 6th strength of schedule is a pretty negligible difference.

Team A due to the top 100 record its much better then team B

The results

Apparently, Team C doesn't stack up very well vs. Teams A and B, though I suspect some of you figured out who Team B is. I actually think Team C's resume is decent when compared against most other teams right near the bubble, but it doesn't win this fight.

I went with Team B in a really tough call over Team A. Both have played outstanding schedules and have similar amounts of top-50 and top-100 wins. In the end, I like the fact that: (A) nearly 60% of Team B's games have been vs. quality competition (top 100); (B) they've beaten a bonafide big boy (#4); (C) their next best wins occurred on a neutral court; and (D) they have no bad losses. All 3 of Team A's best wins have been on their home court.

The final tally. ...

A = Colorado State (5 votes)
B= Northwestern (4 votes)
C = Xavier (0 votes)

Top Bottom