Sophomore Ian Theisen had 25 pts and 18 rebs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This sophomore class in Minnesota is LOADED!

"OSSEO 72, CHAMPLIN PARK 45: Sophomore center Ian Theisen scored 25 points and grabbed 18 boards, leading the Class 4A, No. 4 Orioles (22-2) to a lopsided victory over the Rebels (15-8) in Northwest Suburban play. Theisen went 12-for-13 from the floor, his only miss coming on his lone three-point attempt. Senior D.J. Hebert and junior Bridge Tusler each added 15 points."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/139933993.html

Go Gophers!!

This sophomore class in Minnesota is LOADED!

"OSSEO 72, CHAMPLIN PARK 45: Sophomore center Ian Theisen scored 25 points and grabbed 18 boards, leading the Class 4A, No. 4 Orioles (22-2) to a lopsided victory over the Rebels (15-8) in Northwest Suburban play. Theisen went 12-for-13 from the floor, his only miss coming on his lone three-point attempt. Senior D.J. Hebert and junior Bridge Tusler each added 15 points."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/139933993.html

Go Gophers!!

Vaughn, Jones, Theissen... come on boys catch the dream, be innovators, pioneers and start your own legacy at Minnesota! Be the group that wins the first National Championship of many here. (please)

Seen all 3 play this year, Vaughn and Theisen multiple times. Totally agree that Vaughn and Jones are legit big time players who deserve the rankings that they have. Theisen to me is a question mark. Was at the game last night and while yes he did have a good game, most of his points were easy lay-ins. Can only think of 2 times he needed to make a move to score. Champlin is a very undersized team who tallest starter is maybe 6'4 so Theisen cleaned up the rebounds pretty easily.
While I'm sure he is a div. 1 prospect, I'm not so sure he is a BT caliber player like Vaughn and Jones. To me he is a little slow footed and needs to gain a lot of strength. (which he has time to do) He's averaging 14.3 ppg and 9.9 rpg. I would like to see him on a middle of the road team (like Vaughn is on) that doesn't have at minimum, 4 other Div. 1 athletes so he could be the focus of the the opponents defense.

Seen all 3 play this year, Vaughn and Theisen multiple times. Totally agree that Vaughn and Jones are legit big time players who deserve the rankings that they have. Theisen to me is a question mark. Was at the game last night and while yes he did have a good game, most of his points were easy lay-ins. Can only think of 2 times he needed to make a move to score. Champlin is a very undersized team who tallest starter is maybe 6'4 so Theisen cleaned up the rebounds pretty easily.
While I'm sure he is a div. 1 prospect, I'm not so sure he is a BT caliber player like Vaughn and Jones. To me he is a little slow footed and needs to gain a lot of strength. (which he has time to do) He's averaging 14.3 ppg and 9.9 rpg. I would like to see him on a middle of the road team (like Vaughn is on) that doesn't have at minimum, 4 other Div. 1 athletes so he could be the focus of the the opponents defense.

Not a frequent post guy in here but had to respond to this one. I disagree with your comments here. I will start from the bottom. Who are the other division 1 players on the osseo team? Johnson is a d1 football player but that is it. Not sure where you are at with this one.

Secondly, one of the kid's strengths is his footwork. Especially for a soph. Usually this is the last piece to develop for bigs. He has a leg up in this regard. He also runs the floor remarkably well for kid his age/size.

Regarding strength. Are you kidding? Kid is as strong as an ox. This is what i am sure is most intriguing for college coaches. He is an effort guy. You couldn't be more off base here. He is a soph and is 6-9 and i am guessing 230. Imagine 6-9 and 250 which he might be by his senior year. Really strange comment.

Regarding playing against smaller kids. Because rebounding is more about energy and strength, it can be more difficult for a tall kid to board against smaller kids. 90% of rebounds are taken below the rim so height has very little to do with this. Energy and strength.

I seriously doubt there were only 2 ocassions in which Ian had to make a move to get a score. Now, I wasn't there but you don't get 21 points by only making 2 moves. Ridiculous. I would also argue that even if they were lay-ups, it was because of his ability to seal other kids as well as getting on the boards.

My only guess here is that you may have some type of bias against the kid. You can come back and say that I also have a bias which may or may not be true but I feel pretty confident that my responses are fairly objective regarding his skill set. Going to be a great D1 basketball player. And dare I say, a player that we will look back and ask, "how did MN miss on this kid?" Book it.

If Tubby knows he's going to be offering him down the line, he might as well offer him now. Early offers score brownie points.

After doing my own recon, I tend to agree with you on a lot of the things you stated.

The kid from Lakeville North was by far the most athletic player on the court, Flack.

Theisen shoots well from the outside but in my mind he has a ways to go, he's only a sophmore but he didn't have a big presence on offense or defense in the post and doesn't move well enough to play on the wing at a D1 level. Travis from De La Salle is more physical and might be the better D1 project at this point but doesn't have the shooting range of Theisan.

Have to see how they both develop in the next couple of years.

offer theisen he is good enough and rated high enough. Offer illakainen from Grand Rapids. Travis needs to be watched as does Jarvis Johnson

prospects

offer theisen he is good enough and rated high enough. Offer illakainen from Grand Rapids. Travis needs to be watched as does Jarvis Johnson

Illakainen has very good athleticism for a 6'8" freshmen. IF he grows to 6'10" lookout, Kansas, NC, could come calling.

Travis at 6'6" 225 is a load in high school. IF he also grows a couple inches, I could see him as a very high pf: 6'8" 240. Very physical, athletic, and forcefull in the paint.

Theisen is big and physical and has a nice touch. He isn't an athlete. I wonder if he is more like Colt with a jump shot. You can only offer so many kids. I would wait on him over guys with more upside myself.

Johnson, I haven't head much about. I only saw him on video during the tourney. Might be a nice plan B, with Tyus.

Illakainen has very good athleticism for a 6'8" freshmen. IF he grows to 6'10" lookout, Kansas, NC, could come calling.

Travis at 6'6" 225 is a load in high school. IF he also grows a couple inches, I could see him as a very high pf: 6'8" 240. Very physical, athletic, and forcefull in the paint.

Theisen is big and physical and has a nice touch. He isn't an athlete. I wonder if he is more like Colt with a jump shot. You can only offer so many kids. I would wait on him over guys with more upside myself.

Johnson, I haven't head much about. I only saw him on video during the tourney. Might be a nice plan B, with Tyus.

They are in different classes. I would like us to go after both of them (unless Jarvis completely stops developing).

watch travis to see if he hits 6'8" then offer, skill package not there for big ten three. his brother jonas quit growing at 16 so i say watch. Theisen looks like a good bet to grow a couple more so offer him now. Illakainen listed at 6'9" he needs to be a high(pardon the pun) priority. Jarvis is rated by ESPN top 122 players in his class. If he hits 6'1" straightens out his Jumper he will be a high major recruit. He as big time hops,wheels and court vision. THESCOUT!

Even if Travis tops out at 6'6" we have had some great pf's around that height in years past: coffey, stamper, dusty. I just think if he keeps developing his skills at 6'8" or taller he will be a big force.

reid travis2014 and jarvis johnson 2015 Were guests of Iowa St. when they played Kansas. 9th grader Jarvis has some impressive dunks for a 5'11" ninth grader up on youtube.

reid travis2014 and jarvis johnson 2015 Were guests of Iowa St. when they played Kansas. 9th grader Jarvis has some impressive dunks for a 5'11" ninth grader up on youtube.

Do you by any chance have any affiliation with MyRecruitez?

He also runs the floor remarkably well for kid his age/size.

Regarding strength. Are you kidding? Kid is as strong as an ox. This is what i am sure is most intriguing for college coaches. He is an effort guy. You couldn't be more off base here. He is a soph and is 6-9 and i am guessing 230. Imagine 6-9 and 250 which he might be by his senior year. Really strange comment.

I agree it was an odd post/comment. I see him growing another inch or two & he's got a pretty good build for that age/size.

Just to add a little bit of info on Theisen. I work part-time at a retail store with a kid who is friend with Ian Theisen. Apparently Theisen thinks he'll be one and done and his first choice school is Syracuse. I think this kid has another thing coming. Right now, he isn't even Big East starter let alone one and done.

afurry91 said:
Just to add a little bit of info on Theisen. I work part-time at a retail store with a kid who is friend with Ian Theisen. Apparently Theisen thinks he'll be one and done and his first choice school is Syracuse. I think this kid has another thing coming. Right now, he isn't even Big East starter let alone one and done.

I hope he is assuming that based on the fact he is going to work really hard throughout high school at having an incredible game. Love the confidence he has in himself, but hopefully he continues to work hard and be exactly that!

Does he actually think that? Or was your friend just expressing that Theisen is cocky and thinks he's better than he really is?

one and done is he planning on growing to 7'2" ? Not really a Syracuse type recruit yet much less one and done. Hopefully Ian is not that delusional.

Ha. Seriously? The kid is a nice player, but drastically overestimates his abilities based on playing mediocre-to-poor MN HS competition. Put him in a game against real one-and-done talent (i.e., the McD's All-Star game) and watch him get his salad tossed. He'll be lucky to get 3-4 high major offers, let alone one from Syracuse. Syracuse doesn't gamble on "maybe" players, because they don't need to. It's good to have goals, and good to set them high, but if he thinks either of those are realistic (getting a scholarship from Syracuse or being a one-and-done), he needs to come back down to Earth. He has as much chance of playing in the NBA after one college season as I do.

Ha. Seriously? The kid is a nice player, but drastically overestimates his abilities based on playing mediocre-to-poor MN HS competition. Put him in a game against real one-and-done talent (i.e., the McD's All-Star game) and watch him get his salad tossed. He'll be lucky to get 3-4 high major offers, let alone one from Syracuse. Syracuse doesn't gamble on "maybe" players, because they don't need to. It's good to have goals, and good to set them high, but if he thinks either of those are realistic (getting a scholarship from Syracuse or being a one-and-done), he needs to come back down to Earth. He has as much chance of playing in the NBA after one college season as I do.

It's kind of tough to repeat something someone said in confidence and put any crediability to it, especially for a 16 year old. I've only seen him play one time in the state title game, from that he has a ways to go. He couldn't cover Flack one on one on defense, he got killed from both a quickness and physical perspective. I noticed Flack is going to SDSU so he is probably a legit college PF and good competition for Theisan, but it really showed his shortcommings.

I for one think he is has a lot to work on. All he seems to do is shoot jump shots and get offensive rebounds.

That site has him ranked about 20 spots higher than Rashad Vaughn... That is laughable.

Top Bottom