Blind Resume (Part 2)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Excluding weekends, I'll roughly do a couple per day (1 morning, 1 afternoon) throughout the next couple weeks as we head toward Championship Week (begins Feb. 27).

I'll provide the resumes of 3 bubble teams & in each scenario you're the Selection Committee and you can only choose 1 of the 3 for inclusion in the NCAA Tournament. (you have to trust me that the teams are not considered locks for the NCAA Tournament) I will not list the team's RPI but will provide some of the basic things that I look at when selecting the 37 at-large teams. You have about 3 hours to submit your selection here. I will disclose the teams at approximately 4 p.m.

Which 1 of these 3 would you select if you only had 1 spot left for your NCAA Tournament field?

Team A
Record: 18-9
Strength of Schedule (SOS): 42
Nonconference SOS: 31
Road/Neutral Record: 6-4
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 1-7
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 4-7
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 2
Best 3 Wins by RPI: @ #47, vs. #51, #95 (total = 193)

Team B
Record: 18-10
Strength of Schedule (SOS): 51
Nonconference SOS: 44
Road/Neutral Record: 7-8
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 1-5
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 6-7
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 3
Best 3 Wins by RPI: @ #28, #71, #73 (total = 172)

Team C
Record: 19-8
Strength of Schedule (SOS): 69
Nonconference SOS: 58
Road/Neutral Record: 4-6
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 0-4
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 3-8
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 0
Best 3 Wins by RPI: #55, @ #67, #67 (total = 189)

I ask that if you think you've figured out who these teams are, please do not post the team(s) name, as that could influence people's selection.

None of them are top 50 impressive. A looks pretty good, with the +.500 road/neutral record, a few good wins, but Team B has the most top 100 wins, the most road/neutral wins, and also the "best" win. But they have 3 bad losses, which gives me pause. C doesn't appear to have a ton of quality on their resume, but they haven't tripped up either.

I'll settle with B.

I struggled with this one a lot more than with Part 1; these 3 teams are much more similar. In the end, I went with A largely because they've played the strongest overall and nonconference schedules, and they've played over .500 ball away from home. The tipping point for me was their best 2 wins are a true road game and a neutral-court game.

Final tally for Part 2 is 4 votes for B and 2 votes for A.

B = Saint Joseph's (4)
A = NC State (2)
C = Washington (0)

Top Bottom