National media reaction to a possible Tubby dismissal??

dinkything

Reaction score
Some may recall when Glen Mason was terminated at the end of the 2006 season...

National media folks like Mark May questioned rather incredulously, "Who do those people in Minnesota think they are?!"

Not an unexpected reaction to the firing of a good, solid college football coach known for resurrecting 3 moribund programs -- Kent St., Kansas, and Minnesota -- and for consistently going to bowl games (Mason led Minnesota to more than 1/2 of its all-time bowl wins).

After quickly scanning this message board, I'm quite surprised to see a large number of 'holers who are ready to have Tubby jettisoned on out of here. Personally, I think it would be an insane decision on a number of different fronts.

Can you imagine the national media indignation if that were to happen....bringing in a new college president from Slippery Rock...and potentially a new AD from Slippery Rock...and the two of 'em telling a highly-respected, future Hall-of-Fame basketball coach to take a hike??!!

Wow, talk about giving the national media a ton of ammo for a field day...and having the local program dragged through the mud...sheeeesh...that would get ugly...

It's the same reason the Vikings were stuck with Favre. ("you can't bench Favre and break his streak, who do you think you are!?!?!?)

The only way this works is with a strong AD. who can stand up to the media and say tubby is a great coach, but he did not live up to our expectations. We have high expectations and we want to win. Someone who can say. I am confident I can find the best coach for this program and get them a practice facility.

This works if the AD has the courage to say, who do we think we are!?!? We are a program that thinks it can be great. And we are going to do whatever it takes to get there.

I think the national media would be absolutely shocked and I think Athletic Administration would be nationally dissed. Tubby is not going to get fired, IMO. Even if they lose out. I definitely understand the concern of many and the reasoning behind why they feel Tubby should be given the door, but now is not the time. I actually think Tubby will turn the ship around before decision time.

If games were won and lost in the national media I'd agree with you. I thought dinkything was referring to below the belt not from the eyes up?!?!?!?!?!

And the national media said auburn was racist for hiring their football coach 2 years before a national title.

The national media is about one thing: themselves.
Minnesotas decision making should not have anything to do with national medic perception

I heard this on many different posts, but is Tubby Smith really a future Hall of Fame Coach? What are the criteria for this hall of fame? And what Hall of Fame are we talking about?

I heard this on many different posts, but is Tubby Smith really a future Hall of Fame Coach? What are the criteria for this hall of fame? And what Hall of Fame are we talking about?

Stoic Hall of Fame, Helsinki, Finland

National media folks like Mark May questioned rather incredulously, "Who do those people in Minnesota think they are?!"

Not an unexpected reaction to the firing of a good, solid college football coach known for resurrecting 3 moribund programs -- Kent St., Kansas, and Minnesota -- and for consistently going to bowl games (Mason led Minnesota to more than 1/2 of its all-time bowl wins).

After quickly scanning this message board, I'm quite surprised to see a large number of 'holers who are ready to have Tubby jettisoned on out of here. Personally, I think it would be an insane decision on a number of different fronts.

Can you imagine the national media indignation if that were to happen....bringing in a new college president from Slippery Rock...and potentially a new AD from Slippery Rock...and the two of 'em telling a highly-respected, future Hall-of-Fame basketball coach to take a hike??!!

Wow, talk about giving the national media a ton of ammo for a field day...and having the local program dragged through the mud...sheeeesh...that would get ugly...

Sanity with in the halls of the insane. It's not fun right now. Seeing the play last night was not fun. Firing a coach like Tubby is insane.

Everybody wants to fire the coach. It does not matter if it's Lucia, Borton, Mason, Les Miles, Mark Richt, or for that matter Tom Coughlin mid-season 2011. 3 or 4 months that is all you heard in the New York press and the fans and now they are Super Bowl Champs.

We have a good coach. We have a hall of fame coach. We need to stick with him and let him build the program. He wants to stick with us. He has had plenty of opportunity to leave. A great alternative is to hire Les Miles and the first opportunity he has he will bolt.

Sanity with in the halls of the insane. It's not fun right now. Seeing the play last night was not fun. Firing a coach like Tubby is insane.

Everybody wants to fire the coach. It does not matter if it's Lucia, Borton, Mason, Les Miles, Mark Richt, or for that matter Tom Coughlin mid-season 2011. 3 or 4 months that is all you heard in the New York press and the fans and now they are Super Bowl Champs.

We have a good coach. We have a hall of fame coach. We need to stick with him and let him build the program. He wants to stick with us. He has had plenty of opportunity to leave. A great alternative is to hire Les Miles and the first opportunity he has he will bolt.

+1

I actually think Tubby will turn the ship around before decision time.

Wow, this could be the most preposterous statement I have ever read. Have you watched this team's games this season against Iowa (twice), Northwestern, Dayton, Wisconsin and Ohio State? This program has regressed and shows few signs of getting any better. They may be a little better next season, but no better than a fringe bubble team. This year's team is downright pathetic. There simply isn't enough good basketball players to win that many games. Tubby appears to be disinterested and grumpy. Yes, fire Tubby. Now.

Can you imagine trying to find a coach to take this job? If a HOF'er with a National Championship on his resume is chased off after 4 seasons, what kind of a window does a young mid-major coach get...2 seasons?

Wow, this could be the most preposterous statement I have ever read. Have you watched this team's games this season against Iowa (twice), Northwestern, Dayton, Wisconsin and Ohio State? This program has regressed and shows few signs of getting any better. They may be a little better next season, but no better than a fringe bubble team. This year's team is downright pathetic. There simply isn't enough good basketball players to win that many games. Tubby appears to be disinterested and grumpy. Yes, fire Tubby. Now.

Stop being so dramatic. There's plenty of maturing talent on this team. It's not preposterous at all to think Tubby can turn this around.

If we fire him this off-season, there will be a major *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#-storm. We have no one in place to hire him, the national media will call us stupid, especially Kaler.

RoyalGopher said:
I actually think Tubby will turn the ship around before decision time.
I agree with you. Tubby has a YOUNG team and they will only get better.

If we fire him this off-season, there will be a major *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#-storm. We have no one in place to hire him, the national media will call us stupid, especially Kaler.

I don't think firing him is a good decision, but that is because I am curious to see what he can do with the young players he has now. If the administration thought it was a good idea, I wouldn't want the reason we didn't to it to be we were afraid of the national media calling us stupid.

What other school was really willing to pay him $2M a year? The annual rumors were like the time Clem called a press conference to say that he wasn't taking the Kentucky job (even though he wasn't being considered). If Tubby really had a viable alternative he'd would have taken it. Minnesota isn't a great enough job to retain a hot coach unless he has personal ties to the area.

I agree with you. Tubby has a YOUNG team and they will only get better.

One of Tubby's biggest issues is his players for the most part do not improve as they get more experience. Even if the talent improves who is to say that equates in the win-loss column?

Or we can go through a couple more 5-13 B1G seasons. I'd rather go through 48 hours of critical ignorance or ignorant criticism from the national media.

Or we can go through a couple more 5-13 B1G seasons. I'd rather go through 48 hours of critical ignorance or ignorant criticism from the national media.

Wasn't aware that we ever had a 5-13 Big Ten season under Tubby...

CAN HIM!!!!!!!!

Who gives a rats ass about the media? All you have to do is not extend the man. He will get mad and leave. Problem solved.

minngg said:
Who gives a rats ass about the media? All you have to do is not extend the man. He will get mad and leave. Problem solved.
You have no clue Badger fan!

No way he gets fired. Who would MN get that would be better? Just face the facts. MN is a lower third B10 BB and FB school. Firing Smith wont change that. He's as good as MN will get.

gopherbadgerman said:
No way he gets fired. Who would MN get that would be better? Just face the facts. MN is a lower third B10 BB and FB school. Firing Smith wont change that. He's as good as MN will get.
Agree, and with a young team I will take him as head coach. He will get the extension.

I didn't think anyone could make Patski look smart. Congratulations.

minngg said:
I didn't think anyone could make Patski look smart. Congratulations.
Go play on the Wisconsin boards Badger fan !

Agree, and with a young team I will take him as head coach. He will get the extension.

So we are a lower third BB and FB school? This is why Tubby isn't winning here? You agree with this idiot? If so, that explains everything about you.

Top Bottom