Just asking. Should Tubby be on the same "Hot seat" as Weber ?

Reaction score
Especially if we end 6-12. Or does Tubby ride the coattails of Tevor's injury and the chance he comes back next year. IMO Tubby got his ass added to him tonight on coaching.

Without having an AD in place, I don't think it makes any sense to fire Tubby.

Without having an AD in place, I don't think it makes any sense to fire Tubby.

When the new AD is in place, No extension and an ultimatum for next year NCAA or Bust.

I don't think replacing Tubby is the answer...yet. But I do think Tubby has to make some changes to his staff and his style. We looked like a poorly coached team again tonight. I think a lack of floor leadership is part of it...but that isn't everything. Tubby needs to send his son packing and get a coach that can challenge him and bring new eyes to the table. I also think Tubby needs to realize that no successful team has a 9 or 10 person bench...we should have an 8 person bench with our 4 best players getting at least 28 minutes per game. This line change BS has got to go...should never be a time, unless we are up by 20 with under 2 to play, should there be no starters on the floor at any one time during a game. That is why they are starters.

My problem is this. I don't think you can give him an extension of any more than one year after these last two.
But he won't sign a one year extension.
And without an extension he is a lame duck in recruiting.

I would think next year is the judgement year.

I agree with most everyone in this thread, do not fire Tubby after this year. The worst thing possible for this program is allowing Maturi/Mona to make anymore hires in revenue sports. The ONLY way I could possibly see firing Tubby at the end of this year making sense is if Flip makes it clear that he will take the job.

I agree with most everyone in this thread, do not fire Tubby after this year. The worst thing possible for this program is allowing Maturi/Mona to make anymore hires in revenue sports. The ONLY way I could possibly see firing Tubby at the end of this year making sense is if Flip makes it clear that he will take the job.

If the season keeps going south and they go one and done in the B10 tourney and miss the NIT. I would not be completely shocked if Tubby resigns or takes another job down south. He has a lot of ego and pride and this cannot be fun for him anymore.

Hot seat?

No, but he should be on the same plane out of town. The game has passed him by.

If Flip agrees to take th job, you fire Tubby. If not, you do not extend him. Too bad about recruiting, you cannot extend unless the buyout is next to nothing.

Flip absolutely WILL take the job if offered. Lots of media have hinted at this, lots of boosters know this. Won't happen though, we're Minnesota and we do things the nice and conservative way.

I don't think replacing Tubby is the answer...yet. But I do think Tubby has to make some changes to his staff and his style. We looked like a poorly coached team again tonight. I think a lack of floor leadership is part of it...but that isn't everything. Tubby needs to send his son packing and get a coach that can challenge him and bring new eyes to the table. I also think Tubby needs to realize that no successful team has a 9 or 10 person bench...we should have an 8 person bench with our 4 best players getting at least 28 minutes per game. This line change BS has got to go...should never be a time, unless we are up by 20 with under 2 to play, should there be no starters on the floor at any one time during a game. That is why they are starters.

+1 well said

I agree with most everyone in this thread, do not fire Tubby after this year. The worst thing possible for this program is allowing Maturi/Mona to make anymore hires in revenue sports. The ONLY way I could possibly see firing Tubby at the end of this year making sense is if Flip makes it clear that he will take the job.[/QUOTE]

Does Flip loose his buyout contract with the Wizards if he coaches college ball next year?

You think Tubby is going to change? No way.

If this is what you call bad, better get used to 2-stars from Minnesota.

What's the difference? It has to happen some time. If not this year, next year. Might as well start now.

Yes Flip likely would lose the remainder of his Wash Wiz contract if he took another job, but there's always the contract settlement option with WW, whereby before he took another job, he'd negotiate a buyout if he still had $ coming under the K.

The problem goes much deeper than changing asst coaches.

Best case scenario, Step up time line for new ad to April 1......Tubby steps down april 2. Hire the right young coach.

One of the most pathetic Gopher games I have watched, and I've seen a lot.

Need a solid young coach to recruit Tyus and Rashad, time is running out.

Given our AD situation, it doesn't make sense to fire Tubby now. I wouldn't be shocked to see him retire after the season though.

He has to see that things aren't likely to get significantly better over the next couple of years. It hurts me to admit that because I really like Tubby a lot, but I don't see any 'program changing' recruits on the horizon any time soon.

Yes Flip likely would lose the remainder of his Wash Wiz contract if he took another job, but there's always the contract settlement option with WW, whereby before he took another job, he'd negotiate a buyout if he still had $ coming under the K.

if flip wants the job, i doubt he'll pass because of a buyout squabble.. he must have $10mil banked by now.

but i think the game has also passed flip by..
you need a young guy willing to fly all over heck to recruit... even Izzo has been up here mid-week to see tyus during the season.. would flip be willing to do that?
also, you need a guy who's plugged into the AAU circuit.. knows the tourneys, the shoe guys, the coaches ( the howard pulley's of all the big markets ).. flip would be a fish out of water.

I love how everyone assumes Flip is the answer. The guy has never coached at the major college level and has been fired 3 times in the past 5 years.

I love how everyone assumes Flip is the answer. The guy has never coached at the major college level and has been fired 3 times in the past 5 years.

He has won everywhere he has coached except Wash. Everywhere. Remember when he coached Golden Valley Lutheran. Yes, I know it was a JC but he was like 94-12 and won 56 straight at home. The man can coach. Plus, count me as a guy that would rather go down with an alumni at coach than a guy that just wants to retire with a job.

if flip wants the job, i doubt he'll pass because of a buyout squabble.. he must have $10mil banked by now.

but i think the game has also passed flip by..
you need a young guy willing to fly all over heck to recruit... even Izzo has been up here mid-week to see tyus during the season.. would flip be willing to do that?
also, you need a guy who's plugged into the AAU circuit.. knows the tourneys, the shoe guys, the coaches ( the howard pulley's of all the big markets ).. flip would be a fish out of water.

The game has changed. Flip is well known. Kids love the pro connection Flip has. Flip is a great coach of point guards. Flip is used to travel. Hell, in the NBA that is all you do is travel.

The game has changed. Flip is well known. Kids love the pro connection Flip has. Flip is a great coach of point guards. Flip is used to travel. Hell, in the NBA that is all you do is travel.
I disagree with these 3 statements. Flip is not that well known outside of Minnesota. You can't guarantee kids will love that connection cause they will see he did not do a good job coaching John Wall. I honestly can't think of a PG that developed under Flip.

I disagree with these 3 statements. Flip is not that well known outside of Minnesota. You can't guarantee kids will love that connection cause they will see he did not do a good job coaching John Wall. I honestly can't think of a PG that developed under Flip.

Ever hear of Chauncy Billups? John Wall was 1st team all rookie team last year. Flip isn't well known? Seriously? He went to 4 NBA conference finals and he isn't well known? Fred Hoiberg is better known? He is recruitig with his NBA connections.

NBA travel is a set schedule.. 6 months out.. no deviations. it is not 'hectic'.
d1 is hectic. like a presidential candidate a week before election.. four cities, one day.

i heard izzo was in chicago in early Dec to take in the top 2013 kid's home opener (jabari parker).... then he was in apple valley the next night to take in tyus' home opener..

'flip' does not have the same pull as 'k', 'izzo', 'roy', etc. so he will have to out-work them all on the recruiting trail..

Ever hear of Chauncy Billups? John Wall was 1st team all rookie team last year. Flip isn't well known? Seriously? He went to 4 NBA conference finals and he isn't well known? Fred Hoiberg is better known? He is recruitig with his NBA connections.
If you asked any high schooler right now who Flip Saunders is, most of them will say he was that guy that got fired from Washington, if they even know that.

Top Bottom