Tubby's Tenure

howeda7

Reaction score
As I'm sure the calls for Tubby's head will increase now that the NCAA's seem lost, I think it's worth keeping the timeline in perspective. From his hiring in 2007 through January 22, 2011, we were all pretty happy. It is only from that date through now that has been a disappointment. To ignore the impact of Al Nolen and Trevor Mbakwe's injuries on this period is impossible.

However, it does not excuse the level of futility we've seen in conference play the last 13 months. Even without Trevor, this is not a 5-9 B1G team. Ultimately, firing Tubby is not a viable option at this time. We have a lame-duck AD and owe him $4 million dollars. Further, nationally we will be viewed as a job so bad even Tubby couldn't win, and still have 'terrible facilities.' The wisest course is to give Tubby a reasonable extension, and hope next year is an NCAA team at minimum. If not, it will be time for Tubby to go.

I agree. However, the game today was absolutely ridiculous. There is no excuse for that effort.

Its been awhile but I am so much more optimistic about football than bb right now. We were never in this game tonight - Down 8 right away like too many games all big10 season. free throws are a joke - we are always too long and when NW misses they get the rebound. Missed layups turnovers, this was the worst game of the year.

I find it hard to believe Kaler will put up with 6-12 seasons, nothing is going to be done this year, the new AD is going to decide. Next year will be important, I figure Tubby is where Bruce Weber was last year.

It get harder and harder to defend Tubby as each game goes by.

I find it hard to believe Kaler will put up with 6-12 seasons, nothing is going to be done this year, the new AD is going to decide. Next year will be important, I figure Tubby is where Bruce Weber was last year.

IMHO, anyone else would be fired.

WBLGold said:
It get harder and harder to defend Tubby as each game goes by.

Agreed. This game was a failure from the coaches to the player. Flat out terrible job by all.

I figure Tubby is where Bruce Weber was last year.

Pretty much true. For those that want Tubby out, the only way is if an Auburn-level job still comes after him. I think he would take an opportunity to get out at this point, but I doubt he'll be offered one. Weber supposedly could have had the Oklahoma job last year. He should have taken it.

FWIW, I would give him the extension only if he agrees to at least one change on the coaching staff. They have to shake it up.

I think if we had an AD in place, Tubby would be gone after this season.

Maybe. But we don't. And the last thing we need is the Maturi/Mona dream-team making another hire.

FWIW, I would give him the extension only if he agrees to at least one change on the coaching staff. They have to shake it up.

everyone mentions this like some staff shakeup is going to matter. tubby is stubborn and runs the show. a new assistant or two is window dressing. it's tubby's way or the highway with his staff and players.

This was one of the worst losses of the Tubby tenure (home against Iowa this year also falls in to that category) from the standpoint of his team looking completely clueless on the court and putting forth questionable effort. After today, I am starting to side with the crowd that we are not getting Tubby's best effort and that his drive is gone. If you don't get a technical in that game (Sampson call?), when the hell are you going to? I've yet to see Tubby take a stand for his players this year and at this point it's really a glaring flaw.

I agree that that most were happy with the job Tubby had done up until the Nolen injury last year, but there were signs things were on shaky ground before then. I have never said Tubby should be fired after this year, but if he puts up another non-NCAA team next year he has to go regardless of any potential excuses. Tubby has developed a reputation nationally that would make him difficult to fire anywhere (this was true at Kentucky too), and no media member will say its' a "good move" to get rid of Tubby Smith, but that doesn't mean they truly believe what they say (only that they know that's what they have to say).

I remember three years ago every coaching job that opened up we were afraid to lose Tubby. We didn't know then that we could possibly be worse off with him three years later.

everyone mentions this like some staff shakeup is going to matter. tubby is stubborn and runs the show. a new assistant or two is window dressing. it's tubby's way or the highway with his staff and players.

Think of what Molinari did for Monson in 2005. It might be window-dressing. But it might help. New blood couldn't hurt at this point.

This was one of the worst losses of the Tubby tenure (home against Iowa this year also falls in to that category) from the standpoint of his team looking completely clueless on the court and putting forth questionable effort. After today, I am starting to side with the crowd that we are not getting Tubby's best effort and that his drive is gone. If you don't get a technical in that game (Sampson call?), when the hell are you going to? I've yet to see Tubby take a stand for his players this year and at this point it's really a glaring flaw.

I agree that that most were happy with the job Tubby had done up until the Nolen injury last year, but there were signs things were on shaky ground before then. I have never said Tubby should be fired after this year, but if he puts up another non-NCAA team next year he has to go regardless of any potential excuses. Tubby has developed a reputation nationally that would make him difficult to fire anywhere (this was true at Kentucky too), and no media member will say its' a "good move" to get rid of Tubby Smith, but that doesn't mean they truly believe what they say (only that they know that's what they have to say).

It doesn't happen often, but I agree with just about everything you've said.

It's a sad day when I can say I see more hope for Minnesota football than basketball. It seems like in watching the coaches on the bench there is no energy. The fact may be our players are not very good and it wouldn't matter who coached them. But who recruited them?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think lack of talent is the issue.

This game was lost by stupidity, plain and simple. 21 turnovers, most of which were made because of dumb decisions.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think lack of talent is the issue.

This game was lost by stupidity, plain and simple. 21 turnovers, most of which were made because of dumb decisions.
That was one dumb, dumb Gopher team tonight. No way to sugar coat it.

This was possibly the worst coached team I have ever seen. That is NOT how you go at the 1-3-1, not at all. We lost this game cause we couldn't do anything with the 1-3-1.

As I'm sure the calls for Tubby's head will increase now that the NCAA's seem lost, I think it's worth keeping the timeline in perspective. From his hiring in 2007 through January 22, 2011, we were all pretty happy. It is only from that date through now that has been a disappointment. To ignore the impact of Al Nolen and Trevor Mbakwe's injuries on this period is impossible.

However, it does not excuse the level of futility we've seen in conference play the last 13 months. Even without Trevor, this is not a 5-9 B1G team. Ultimately, firing Tubby is not a viable option at this time. We have a lame-duck AD and owe him $4 million dollars. Further, nationally we will be viewed as a job so bad even Tubby couldn't win, and still have 'terrible facilities.' The wisest course is to give Tubby a reasonable extension, and hope next year is an NCAA team at minimum. If not, it will be time for Tubby to go.

Of course, when we fire him, we could be viewed as expecting excellence in our program and not the doormat that we currently portray to the rest of the world. But, then, it is what we say at the time and our actions afterwards that set the tone. The AD could come out tonight and say, we expect more than laziness out of Tubby. I think that would catch the entire nations attention. Then, when we do fire him, we will have set the stage for setting our standards and not accepting the status quo.

Of course, when we fire him, we could be viewed as expecting excellence in our program and not the doormat that we currently portray to the rest of the world. But, then, it is what we say at the time and our actions afterwards that set the tone. The AD could come out tonight and say, we expect more than laziness out of Tubby. I think that would catch the entire nations attention. Then, when we do fire him, we will have set the stage for setting our standards and not accepting the status quo.

+1

Do you really trust Maturi making a new hire?

Not going to happen

That's exactly the situation he was in at Kentucky
He was told he could stay but had to make changes to his staff.

Tubby took the attitude that NOBODY was going to tell him what to do and he left for Minn.

He still has that attitude about his coaching.

It WILL BE DONE his way.

One of Tubby's biggest problems, if not the biggest, is he truly believes his coaching and style
is without fault. He doesn't handle criticism well at all. He sees no room for improvement within himself
and his coaching. Since that is where he is coming from he is not going to be told what he HAS to do
by anybody. He will walk first.

When a person is so convinced that they are right it can be very difficult to make them see any other way.
Tubby truly believes he is one of the best in the game and will never think otherwise.

Not going to happen

That's exactly the situation he was in at Kentucky
He was told he could stay but had to make changes to his staff.

Tubby took the attitude that NOBODY was going to tell him what to do and he left for Minn.

He still has that attitude about his coaching.

It WILL BE DONE his way.

One of Tubby's biggest problems, if not the biggest, is he truly believes his coaching and style
is without fault. He doesn't handle criticism well at all. He sees no room for improvement within himself
and his coaching. Since that is where he is coming from he is not going to be told what he HAS to do
by anybody. He will walk first.

When a person is so convinced that they are right it can be very difficult to make them see any other way.
Tubby truly believes he is one of the best in the game and will never think otherwise.
Do you have nothing better to do than get the vindication you feel you need for what Tubby did in Kentucky? Seriously, your opinion about gopher basketball is useless.

Do you have nothing better to do than get the vindication you feel you need for what Tubby did in Kentucky? Seriously, your opinion about gopher basketball is useless.

+1. Besides the fact that if everything was 'TUBBY'S WAY' Jimmy Williams would be on the staff. I'd simply give him a choice: Coach next year with no extension, knowing you'll probably get one if we make the NCAA's or make at least one staff change.

Do you really trust Maturi making a new hire?

Zammie! Zammie! Zammie! I did not say Maturi. I did not say now. I did suggest that Maturi tell that bum "we expect more than laziness." And, I will add, he should say at soon as possible to someone on the Big Ten network, or ESPN, or tell it to someone who is not sitting in a Minnesota press room tonight. The stage needs to be set that Tubby is an under performer. We ought to complain out loud about him from the AD office. It ought to be repeated in one form or another until the guy decides to leave on his own.

make at least one staff change.

Is this really going to change anything? Tubby hires "yes" men and his son. The buck starts and stops with Tubby and his style of recruiting and game-plan will never change.

+1. Besides the fact that if everything was 'TUBBY'S WAY' Jimmy Williams would be on the staff. I'd simply give him a choice: Coach next year with no extension, knowing you'll probably get one if we make the NCAA's or make at least one staff change.

I'm against an extension at this time. I never bought possible recruiting woes outweighted making the right decision at the right time. I feel our sophomore to be class will take us dancing. I do not want to disrupt that group and certainly don't want to go thru another rebuilding process. I'm guessing a compromise can be worked out. No need to panic, I've seen much worse.

Top Bottom