Is this the most disappointing senior class ever?

Reaction score
RS3 is one of the most aloof, uninspired, and unenergetic players I have ever seen. He has tanked this season and has gone backwards since he started here 4 years ago.

Shurna broke the record for most points tonight? Did Ralph break the record for all time missed layups?

His lazy slumped shoulders convey all the body language that we need to see. It is really sad. Just no ambition.

I like Ralph and I'm sure he's a great person but it certainly would appear that Tubby's first class was a complete and total bust.

Ever is a long time. There's no doubt Ralph has regressed and is now a worse player than he probably was as a freshman. That said, his overall career is that he was an above-average player. The frustration comes because it seems like he could be so much better than he is.

Ralf holds the record of "The player with the most off-seasons of considering going to the NBA draft and not playing a minute in the NBA"

NBA draft and not playing a minute in the NBA"

Ralph will only get drafted late in the second round because of his name, I would be shocked if he ever plays significant minutes in an NBA jersey.

I think from an individual performance standpoint, it has to be a contender. From what we saw from Ralph, Colton, and Devoe as freshmen and sophomores to where they are now? I think there's a strong argument to be made that both big men regressed and Devoe certainly had his issues. If you just look at the record of the team through their (potential) four years as Gophers, then they are not even close to the most disappointing class. The scary thing is that next years "Senior" class of Rodney/Royce/Justin will almost undoubtedly be considered the most disappointing class in history.

Ralph hasn't come out from his father's shadow yet..
i think its tough for him to have his dad at every game.. burning a hole thru him with the stare.
then playing for a HOF coach..
he's between a rock and a hard place..

he's naturally very passive... big10 was not a good fit.. he should have gone out West or down South..

RS3 is one of the most aloof, uninspired, and unenergetic players I have ever seen. He has tanked this season and has gone backwards since he started here 4 years ago.

Shurna broke the record for most points tonight? Did Ralph break the record for all time missed layups?

ralph is a lot of things.. aloof is not one of them.

His lazy slumped shoulders convey all the body language that we need to see. It is really sad. Just no ambition.

the lazy slumped shoulders could be due to posture.
and game performance is unrelated to ambition.. how do you know how much work he puts in during the off season, etc.. if he had no ambition, he'd still be in bed.. in Duluth, GA.

quit ripping the guy... hes a pac12 sort of guy..

today, he makes an aggressive turn in the lane and lays one in.. AND gets fouled.. but its all reversed and he gets T'ed.. whats a guy to do?

Ralph hasn't come out from his father's shadow yet..
i think its tough for him to have his dad at every game.. burning a hole thru him with the stare.
then playing for a HOF coach..
he's between a rock and a hard place..

he's naturally very passive... big10 was not a good fit.. he should have gone out West or down South..

Janet McCarville would have handed him his ass. He is playing because he is tall and his last name.

If given enough time, I'm confident Tubby can get a worse class.

Teflon Tubby is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
He took no ownership for last year's mass exodus of talent.Go ahead, sign him for an extension and bitch about bad bball for another 5 years. Pathetic

He took no ownership for last year's mass exodus of talent.Go ahead, sign him for an extension and bitch about bad bball for another 5 years. Pathetic
Where did I say any of that? I just think Teflon Tubby is really really really stupid.

popeyoung5 said:
Where does he need to take ownership over key injuries, kids who don't want to study and a shoplifter!

Where does he need to take ownership over key injuries, kids who don't want to study and a shoplifter!
Iverson doesn't fit into any of these categories. Unless you seem to think he didn't want to study.

zambam said:
Iverson doesn't fit into any of these categories. Unless you seem to think he didn't want to study.
Being he was the 3rd center going into the season with Mo possibly coming back too - did anybody really care?

Being he was the 3rd center going into the season with Mo possibly coming back too - did anybody really care?
After Trevor goes down and Iverson's replacement barely playing, do you really think that Iverson leaving didn't hurt the team? Front court depth would have been great.

zambam said:
After Trevor goes down and Iverson's replacement barely playing, do you really think that Iverson leaving didn't hurt the team? Front court depth would have been great.
Your starting to prove my point - and did the way we now look at Tubby change due to injuries? Ok, go ahead and agree with the Minngg clown and fire Tubby if Flip wants the job. Let's see how a coach that can't hold a job in the NBA can recruit college kids.

Your starting to prove my point - and did the way we now look at Tubby change due to injuries? Ok, go ahead and agree with the Minngg clown and fire Tubby if Flip wants the job. Let's see how a coach that can't hold a job in the NBA can recruit college kids.
I never said I want Flip, but right now Tubby has done nothing to deserve the nearly 2 million he is paid to have this job.

The class of 1962 was pretty disappointing. Norm Grow came in regarded as the best high school player ever to come out of Minnesota, but was never able to contribute or get any minutes to speak of. Ray Cronk from Bemidji as also highly regarded, and he turned out to be a solid player. But after 2 good seasons he was declared academically ineligible for his junior year of 1960-61. He did return for his senior year but was not as effective as he had been.

The previous class (class of 1957 out of high school, 1961 out of college) was similar. Paul Lehman came out of DeLaSalle and became a starter, but he blew out his knee and was never the same. Jerry Butler had led Mpls. Roosevelt to consecutive state titles, but ended up not being good enough to contribute.

Then there's the class of 1963/1967. Lou Hudson broke his wrist and was notable impaired his senior year, and Don Yates was academically ineligible for his senior year. Still this group finished 2nd in the Big 10 as juniors so it's probably not fair to say they were a disappointment, other than that expectations were very very high.

How about the class of 1974/1978. Olberding played 1 year. Thompson spent much of his career on probation. Landsberger left after 1 year. Osborne Lockhart was in that group as well.

And the class of 1978/82 included Trent Tucker and Darryl Mitchell, but also Leo Rautins, who transferred to Syracuse, Mark Hall, who became ineligible, and Brian Pederson, who retired due to a bad back. Of course Tucker and Mitchell won the Big 10 title in '82 with Randy Breuer so I guess you can't say they turned out badly.

Tubby earned the nickname "teflon tubby" while he was at UK. That along with TLT, {TenLossTubby}. Somebody on here also called him a HOF coach, he ain't that and won't be.

Tubby is a middling coach that plays an underdog style. It should have been good for 20-10 season here and an occasional run to the sweet sixteen when he was loaded with seniors. It hasn't wroked out. He can get an extension and everything stay the same or UM can start over.

is starting over with some hope better than now?

Of all time? Of course not.

It's not my style to throw a player under the bus, but Austin had a terrible game. Turnovers are slowly killing this team. Welch needs to do a much better job with this as well. Sampson getting the ball at the top of the key??? It leads to nothing ever/steal and points for the other team.

Our ball control is horrendous. The players are very capable. This is our main problem. Fix it.

Top Bottom