GI repprting a 2009 walk-on

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
GI has a public teaser to an article that Tubby has added a walk-on to the class of 2009. Dominique Dawson, a 6'7" forward from Mpls. Southwest. I don't remember seeing him discussed here. What do people know about him?

Never heard of this guy? Has he said specifically he is coming to walk on? Did the staff go after him to walk on?

Here is an article from Monter:

Dominique Dawson, a 6-foot-7 big man from Minneapolis Southwest, is quietly having an outstanding senior season. He is averaging 21.9 points per game this season and has scored 30 or more points four times in the last seven games. Dawson attended the Wisconsin game Wednesday and is a potential basketball walk-on. GoldenSports.Net caught up with Southwest AD Ryan Lamberty to learn the latest.

Dominique Dawson had scored in double figures in 20 of 21 games and has shined recently. He had 32 points versus Minneapolis Roosevelt, 31 against Minneapolis Washburn, 33 versus White Bear Lake and 35 against PACT Charter. The Lakers are off to a 5-17 start.

The Gophers have a tie with the Southwest coaching staff as Brian Smith, son of Minnesota head coach Tubby, is the tenth grade coach for the Lakers.

Dawson also was a standout wide receiver for the pass-happy Lakers as he caught 34 passes for 664 yards with eight touchdowns. He had four receptions for 113 yards versus Minneapolis North, seven catches for 131 yards and one touchdown against Minneapolis Washburn, four receptions for 104 yards one one score versus Minneapolis South, six grabs for 151 yards and two touchdowns against St. Paul Johnson and two touchdowns against and two touchdowns against Minneapolis Henry.

Lamberty said that Dawson is just starting to get some higher level recruiting interest.

"I don't believe that a lot of D1's are looking at him, he said." "I think that the Gophers have talked to him just because of Brian and I know that he was at the Gopher game last night, but he is just starting to do some looking at that level."

Lamberty said that Dawson has played several sports for the Lakers.

"He was a wide receiver for the football team. He wrestled as a freshman and all the way growing up. I think that he has looked at some other sports like rugby and some other things. I don't know how much he has participated in them though. He did not have crazy stats, but he was one of our better wide receivers."

Go Gophers!!

I saw him against Washburn this year and I was impressed with him although I must say playing for the Gophs never really entered my mind. But he's athletic and who knows -- we've all seen guys develop suddenly out of HS. Can't hurt ...

Why would Tubby's kid follow him to MN to be a 10th grade coach at SW? Is he in college or something?

I saw him against Washburn this year and I was impressed with him although I must say playing for the Gophs never really entered my mind. But he's athletic and who knows -- we've all seen guys develop suddenly out of HS. Can't hurt ...

Second your thoughts on this. If you get him as a walk on, it absolutely can't hurt. Another body to grind in practices and someone that's there at the end of the bench in an emergency situation. And who knows? Maybe he develops into a solid Big 10 player with time.

And really, anytime you get an athletic 6'7" kid to walk on you've got to be pretty happy. I like the fact that he was a decent WR for his high school team. That says something to his athleticism. And I don't follow prep BB much bet SW hasn't been great, which really makes him an unknown. We could be getting a diamond in the rough.

I'd have to go all the way back to the glory days of Justin Lorang for an athletic walk-on.

"When was the last time we had a remotely athletic walk on?"

Hahahaha! Thanks FTB. Your comment may not have been meant to be funny but I just filled my pants when I read it.

Has SW played anyone good this year?

(That's not meant to be snarky, I'm actually curious, since his best games mentioned were against terrible basketball schools)

I think its funny that it says he chose us over playing at hamline. if we keep stealing hamline recruits we could be talking national championships real soon.

Are they tall though? I thought I heard they were athletic but extremely small on the front line..

Not that there's anything wrong with adding a 6'7 athlete for nothing.

Anyone know anything about his game other than athleticism? Does he have any remnants of a solid jumpshot? Johnny gopher do you know anything?

Anyways sounds like a solid walk on and might as well take a flyer on the kid.

Thanks in advance.

I had a friend that was at the game tonight, and reported that Dawson did have a more of a BT body. He said he had a decent game, but wasn't blown away by him. He did use the work potential quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure that's what Tubby sees in him. South had a kid Alonzo Traylor, that he said was really solid, a good player, but didn't have the body (right now) to compete at the Gopher's level.

Regardless, I've been very impressed with the recruits that Tubby has brought in, and if he and the coaching staff sees potential in him, I'm sure we all would too. He is a walk-on, and it's nice to have a kid that size that's walking on. He's not taking up a scholarship, so I'm all for it!

I wasn't able to make it, so I'll just have to take his word!

Top Bottom