Division 1 Players By State - MN included

minngg

Banned
Reaction score
Got this off the KenPom site. There is no excuse for us not being better in basketball if you look at number of Division 1 players from the state. With only one Div 1 team in the state and 47 Division 1 players, we should be better. Can be better. How many of these 47 are on our team? 3?Rodney and Trevor? Ingram?

The table is as follows...the rk is by number of Division 1 players by population. The Column after the state is the number of Div 1 players from that state. The Players per 1M is the number of players per 1 Million of population and the name is the best player from that state per KenPom.

Rk Players Per 1M Best player
1 District of Columbia 22 36.6 Thomas Robinson, Kansas
2 Maryland 108 18.7 Will Barton, Memphis
3 Louisiana 79 17.4 Scott Saunders, Belmont
4 Georgia 167 17.2 Tony Mitchell, Alabama
5 Mississippi 51 17.2 Isaiah Canaan, Murray State
6 Indiana 87 13.4 Cody Zeller, Indiana
7 Virginia 107 13.4 Mike Scott, Virginia
8 Illinois 169 13.2 Anthony Davis, Kentucky
9 Tennessee 80 12.6 Chris Crawford, Memphis
10 North Carolina 118 12.4 Ryan Kelly, Duke

11 Delaware 11 12.3 Jarrett Mann, Stanford
12 Iowa 34 11.2 Doug McDermott, Creighton
13 Arkansas 32 11.0 A.J. Walton, Baylor
14 Alabama 52 10.9 JaMychal Green, Alabama
15 New Jersey 94 10.7 Tyshawn Taylor, Kansas
16 Michigan 94 9.5 Draymond Green, Michigan St.
17 Texas 229 9.1 J'Covan Brown, Texas
18 New York 173 8.9 Kevin Jones, West Virginia
19 South Carolina 41 8.9 LaRon Dendy, Middle Tennessee
20 Minnesota 47 8.9 Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin

21 Florida 166 8.8 John Henson, North Carolina
22 Nebraska 16 8.8 Antoine Young, Creighton
23 Missouri 52 8.7 Marcus Denmon, Missouri
24 South Dakota 7 8.6 Chad White, South Dakota St.
25 Kentucky 37 8.5 Darius Miller, Kentucky
26 Ohio 98 8.5 Jared Sullinger, Ohio State
27 Kansas 24 8.4 Kyle Weems, Missouri State
28 Nevada 22 8.1 Pierre Jackson, Baylor
29 Oregon 30 7.8 Mike Moser, UNLV
30 California 286 7.7 Rob Jones, St. Mary's

31 Pennsylvania 97 7.6 Herb Pope, Seton Hall
32 Wisconsin 43 7.6 Jake Koch, Northern Iowa
33 Utah 20 7.2 Brandon Davies, BYU
34 Wyoming 4 7.1 Adam Waddell, Wyoming
35 Connecticut 25 7.0 T.J. Robinson, Long Beach State
36 Oklahoma 25 6.7 Noah Hartsock, BYU
37 Rhode Island 7 6.7 Erik Murphy, Florida
38 Washington 40 5.9 Joe Harris, Virginia
39 Alaska 4 5.6 Damen Bell-Holter, Oral Roberts
40 Arizona 35 5.5 Ryan Evans, Wisconsin

41 West Virginia 10 5.4 Todd Mayo, Marquette
42 Massachusetts 31 4.7 Evan Smotrycz, Michigan
43 North Dakota 3 4.5 Luke Martinez, Wyoming
44 New Mexico 8 3.9 Chad Adams, New Mexico
45 Idaho 6 3.8 Mitch Bruneel, Utah State
46 Colorado 19 3.8 Dario Hunt, Nevada
47 Vermont 2 3.2 Matt Glass, Vermont
48 New Hampshire 4 3.0 Luke Apfeld, Vermont
49 Ontario 40 3.0 Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga
50 Nova Scotia 2 2.1 Chris Johnson, St. Bonaventure

51 Montana 2 2.0 Josh Huestis, Stanford
52 Quebec 10 1.3 Kris Joseph, Syracuse
53 British Columbia 5 1.1 Robert Sacre, Gonzaga
54 Maine 1 0.8 Tom Knight, Notre Dame
55 Hawaii 1 0.7 Jeremiah Ostrowski, Hawaii

How many of these Division 1 players are playing at schools like NDSU, SDSU, Wofford, N. Iowa, etc.? If we recruited all those players people would freak out that Tubby is recruiting top talent.

Game I'm most looking forward to watching on the tube tomorrow, other than Gophers-NW?

Buffalo (featuring Northfield sharp-shooter Zach Filzen) @ South Dakota State (featuring St. Cloud's do-everything Nate Wolters) at noon on ESPNU as part of Bracket Buster Weekend.

How many of these Division 1 players are playing at schools like NDSU, SDSU, Wofford, N. Iowa, etc.? If we recruited all those players people would freak out that Tubby is recruiting top talent.

The same number as other states. Look at WI's best player is at Northern Iowa. We are no different than anyone else, but I can tell you that if we had just MN players on our team and got the best ones, our team would be better. Some of those players on small teams are better than what we have. Don't you agree?

Game I'm most looking forward to watching on the tube tomorrow, other than Gophers-NW?

Buffalo (featuring Northfield sharp-shooter Zach Filzen) @ South Dakota State (featuring St. Cloud's do-everything Nate Wolters) at noon on ESPNU as part of Bracket Buster Weekend.

I can't wait either. Nate is my favorite college player not on the Gophers. Great kid and great player.

The same number as other states. Look at WI's best player is at Northern Iowa. We are no different than anyone else, but I can tell you that if we had just MN players on our team and got the best ones, our team would be better. Some of those players on small teams are better than what we have. Don't you agree?
Other than Wolters, I'm not sure how many of them would start for us. Lockett? I haven't seen him play though.

Other than Wolters, I'm not sure how many of them would start for us. Lockett? I haven't seen him play though.

Start? Well obviously Wolters, White and Lockett, but we all know what happened with Royce. That is probably the starters, but Sam Dower at Gonzaga would get significant minutes at MN and of course Taylor, Brueziwitz and Berggren. Also, the kid that went to WV, he could contribute but not start. Muscala at Bucknell too.

For me personally, I think Mbwake & R. White are the better then Jordan Taylor. McDermott maybe better statistically but I choose Harrison Barnes over him in Iowa.

Wolters, Lockett, White, Williams, Bruesewitz, Dower, Mbakwe, Muscala, and Broghammer were all in the same class. I would have loved to have 9 player classes every year... These numbers are meaningless.

Well, actually in High School term, Mbwake is Class of 2007.

There actually would be quite a few more Minnesota kids playing D-1 if there were Missouri Valley, MAC, etc type schools in the state. The numbers for something like this don't do any favors to a state a like Minnesota with only one D-1 school. I agree with your statement that people would freak out if Tubby recruited guys with only offers from smaller schools, that's not a winning strategy. There's always going to be a Wittman/Wolters type kid that looks great in hindsight.

Lou Hudson, Archie Clark, Tom Kondla, Jim Brewer, Ron Behagen, Flip Saunders, Ray Williams, Mychal Thompson, Willie Burton, Voshon Lenard, Vincent Grier, etc. I understand what you're saying, you're talking about the present time in relation to the players you mention. It's never going to happen.

Wolters, Lockett, White, Williams, Bruesewitz, Dower, Mbakwe, Muscala, and Broghammer were all in the same class. I would have loved to have 9 player classes every year... These numbers are meaningless.

This is something most fans seem to forget when talking about guys that are doing well elsewhere that Tubby should have signed. I'd still take Rodney, Royce, Mbakwe, and Cobbs over anybody we didn't offer. Some people may not agree, but most would at least agree that it seemed like he got the best of the best at the time. If every MN high school class was that deep we would never have to worry about recruiting.

Meaningless in what sense? You mentioned 9 out of 47 players. 38 is meaningless? Having almost as many D-1 players as MO with only one Div 1 team is meaningless? Trevor was not in the White class so really it is 8. You go so far out of your way to defend Tubby when I am not even ripping him. This has to do with any coach and the difference and challenges between football and basketball here. It is, or should be easier to win in basketball here. This isn't the 60's and 70's all norwegian MN like the poster above suggests. MN will have another tremendous class in 2014. If anything I would say your analysis is meaningless and you are simply going out of your way to disagree with me.

This is something most fans seem to forget when talking about guys that are doing well elsewhere that Tubby should have signed. I'd still take Rodney, Royce, Mbakwe, and Cobbs over anybody we didn't offer. Some people may not agree, but most would at least agree that it seemed like he got the best of the best at the time. If every MN high school class was that deep we would never have to worry about recruiting.

Ridiculous statement. You'd STILL take Royce? You'd still take Cobbs? You'd still take Trevor? Still?

Expand your list to the top 100 or top 150 and it's about 2 a year. If you want to compete in the big 10, wofford and winona state players ain't gonna get it done. Since 1998 there have been 17 top 100 recruits from MN. Since Tubby got there the number is 4. Rodney, Mbakwe, Royce(kicked off the team) Berggren(not a tubby type of big man). Coleman is top 150 and was the consensus best player coming out last year. I think it's fair to say Tubby has locked up the best in state players since he's been there. None of them are super stars cept for maybe Mbakwe.

BigGopherFan said:
Lockett would be the best player on this team

I don't know about best on the team, but in hindsight he was the biggest miss IMO. Until Woodard ends up being a stud.

Personally, I think Dower is ridiculously overrated though.

Tubby missed big time on Alec Brown, though, from the sound of things

Tubby missed big time on Alec Brown, though, from the sound of things

He's a good player with lots of upside. I would take EE over Brown. He also had some academic issues coming out of high school.

Alec Brown has been a nice player for Green Bay, but remember when he was a freshman, Sampson and Iverson were juniors and Eliason and Walker were freshman, so there was no need for another big man.

Chris Monter

Alec Brown has been a nice player for Green Bay, but remember when he was a freshman, Sampson and Iverson were juniors and Eliason and Walker were freshman, so there was no need for another big man.

Chris Monter
Whenever you post something that is not an article it's pretty good insight. Thank you!

Zach whooped my/everyone's ass last summer when he showed up for noon-ball. Ran into him at the airport & flight recently. Good guy, very nice looking gf.

Question to GH'ers: How would Mike Leaf do if he was the next Gophers coach?

This thread has nothing to do with Tubby misses. I know some of his defenders might think it is about that but it isn't. It is about why it is easier to build a basketball program than it is to build a football program in MN. We need to recruit MN kids that can shoot. Ryan Wittman is a great example. Instead we look for all athletes. Upside. MN won't have 5 star players every year but recruiting MN means getting more of the good MN to stay here. Kids these days are friends all through AAU and before. I am not saying recruit all MN kids but why recruit players like Rico Tucker, Mav, Chip when you could have recruited shooters from here? Sound basketball players.

I was in SDSU's Frost Arena for yesterday's 86-65 win over Buffalo. Filzen has a beautiful shot. He finished with only 13 points but he was always a threat. Wolters had 22 points, eight assists and six rebounds.

Interesting that the best California player based on this system plays for St. Mary's. More an indicator of poor recruiting by the four Pac 12 schools in state or decrease in in-state talent?

Ridiculous statement. You'd STILL take Royce? You'd still take Cobbs? You'd still take Trevor? Still?

Yes, I would rather have Royce, Cobbs, Rodney, and Trevor (obviously he doesn't help when he is hurt) than anybody on that list. Cobbs is certainly debatable, but who would you take over Royce? My point was that I would prefer those players but at the time I don't think anybody was mad as they were the best players in the group.

I m not sure what the point of this thread is? Is there enough talent in Minnesota to win a nat'l championship in basketball? Of course not! Has Minn missed on a lot of players over the years that could have helped? You bet!!!

And the problem is bigger then just losing Minnesota talent. We're never close to getting any of the top tier Midwest talent. Its the main reason we end up transfers, jucos and football players.

Top Bottom