All Things Justin Cobbs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrjackIII

Reaction score
from the link:

http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports/27283207-41/joseph-oregon-minnesota-devoe-ducks.html.csp

Altman said he spoke three different times with Minnesota coach Tubby Smith about Joseph, and essentially was told there was fault with both the player and coach for what was primarily a conflict of personalities.

Altman said that his relationship with Smith, which goes back three decades, left him with a strong feeling that he could trust Smith’s recommendation that Oregon should take Joseph, who primarily needed a new start.

“Tubby’s a straight shooter and he told me exactly what we were getting and why he and Devoe didn’t get along,” Altman said. “I talked with Devoe about it, and he’s really matured. ... There’s a sense of urgency with him that I wish our other players had.”

The season starts tonight for Devoe against Fresno State.

Tubby is a straight shooter and I am not surprised he would not blackball Devoe because it didn't work here. I am unhappy as a fan about what he did to the team as I am sure many inside and outside of the program are, but you can't hold that over him forever. If he has grown up, that's great. Mercy is a good thing. Does he have just this season or does he get another one?

Devoe was poison for the team last year, it's good to hear that he has "matured". Tubby keeps proving his level of class when it comes to situations like this one, he realizes there is no value in creating roadblocks for young basketball players, and takes credit for the flaws in communication. I enjoy having him here at the U, I just wish more of his players would stay around!

GopherHoopsFan

Tubby is a straight shooter and I am not surprised he would not blackball Devoe because it didn't work here. I am unhappy as a fan about what he did to the team as I am sure many inside and outside of the program are, but you can't hold that over him forever. If he has grown up, that's great. Mercy is a good thing. Does he have just this season or does he get another one?[/QUOTE] He will now be a senior in eligibility for the Ducks, after a month of the season is gone but with at least 25 games remaining. It’s the price a player pays for transferring at midseason.

Tubby admits fault and people here still want to rip Devoe. I haven't heard one player or coach say Devoe was a cancer. He was well liked with teammates and his problem was not with drugs as many have suggested. It was with Tubby. Tubby did a good thing in recommending Devoe, but he also admitted he could have handled things better. He isn't faultless.

Tubby admits fault and people here still want to rip Devoe. I haven't heard one player or coach say Devoe was a cancer. He was well liked with teammates and his problem was not with drugs as many have suggested. It was with Tubby. Tubby did a good thing in recommending Devoe, but he also admitted he could have handled things better. He isn't faultless.

My knowledge of that situation was that Devoe walked into Tubby's office, complained about being sat, demanded more playing time, and threatened to leave if he wasn't played. I call that being a cancer, poison, whatever.. Tubby did the right thing in letting him leave, and recommending him.

GopherHoopsFan

and his problem was not with drugs as many have suggested.
Um...it may have not been why he transferred, but it seems to be widely understood that Devoe was suspended multiple times for drug-related issues.

You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure it out: if Devoe was liked by his team, like you say, and the suspension were not for academics (because when that happens, it usually noted the player is "academically ineligible,")...so it wasn't because he was a problem with the guys or academics, what else do you think you would sit 6 games for? If you don't think it was for drugs...you're probably on some good stuff yourself.

Based on everything else we heard surrounding the situation, it's very unlikely it was anything else.

and his problem was not with drugs as many have suggested.
Um...it may have not been why he transferred, but it seems to be widely understood that Devoe was suspended multiple times for drug-related issues.

You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure it out: if Devoe was liked by his team, like you say, and the suspension were not for academics (because when that happens, it usually noted the player is "academically ineligible,")...so it wasn't because he was a problem with the guys or academics, what else do you think he would sit 6 games for, being late to practice? If you don't think it was for drugs...you're probably on some good stuff yourself.

Based on everything else we heard surrounding the situation, it's very unlikely it was anything else.

I've heard a story from a guy who brought his young girl to a Gopher Volleyball game on either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon a year ago, and Joseph walked in and sat 5 feet from him. From what he told me, I'm not sad at all Joseph left the program. He didn't represent the basketball team or the university in a positive manner. I don't know if that was one of the reasons he was suspended, but he definitely deserved to be suspended for his behavior. And if he other problems before that, I wouldn't have blamed Tubby if he had dumped him. Hopefully he has grown up.

I've heard a story from a guy who brought his young girl to a Gopher Volleyball game on either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon a year ago, and Joseph walked in and sat 5 feet from him.

Cool story bro. Maybe include a few more details?

From Charley Walter's column.

"The Oregon men's basketball team, which ex-Gophers guard Devoe Joseph transferred to and is sitting out the season, is 4-2."

:rolleyes:

Devoe had a good game tonight. He scored 18 had 4 assist and 2 steals. He led Oregon in scoring in their 74 70 win.

All I see here is a bunch of talk. No facts, just rumors. I think Devoe's biggest problem with Tubby is that Tubby recruited him and told him they were going to run and run. They didn't. Then Tubby started Nolen over him last season after Devoe had taken the team to the tourney the year before and Nolen had flunked out. Devoe made mistakes but so did Tubby and bitterness over him leaving is no reason to make accusations without something behind them.

Both Tubby and Devoe were at fault.. however if folks think Devoe wasn't involved with some as we say, extracuricular activities, they are kidding themselves. That said, I probably would have had a lot in common with Devoe when I was in college.. :)

We have updated this thread so folks that are interested in following Devoe Joseph from here on out have one thread in which to discuss the former Gopher.

College Days

Both Tubby and Devoe were at fault.. however if folks think Devoe wasn't involved with some as we say, extracuricular activities, they are kidding themselves. That said, I probably would have had a lot in common with Devoe when I was in college.. :)

Good one Rouser.

Welch is the better player.

Personally, I feel the Gophers have upgraded Devoe's position with the addition of Welch. Joseph never shot better than about 40% from the field in his 2+ years with the team and he was a good, not great ball handler and an average defender. Welch shoots it better from the field, much bette from the FT line, and is a better defender.

Although Welch makes too many needless TOs (easily correctable, I think), his numbers are very good and he appears to be a good team guy.

Devoe seemed to always dribble with his head down, and lost ball control way too often. Julian is an upgrade or looks to be an upgrade at this point.

All Things Devoe Joseph and Justin Cobbs Thread

Oregon 40 California 37 at half. Devoe with 12, Cobbs with 9 at half.....

Sucks. I still maintain Tubby's problem is not recruiting. He's a Jerry Kill recruiter, recruiting to his system so he'll always be underwhelming to the fans who think we should be going after the same guys as Ky/Duke/UNC/KU. Tubby's problem was losing Cobbs, Devoe & Colt. People who criticize him for this have every right imo. That said, they're gone, that's spilled milk. Let's see if he can keep this current nucleus of young players together as they become upperclassmen? If he can I think they'll make a couple nice runs at/in the B1G championship/NCAA tourney.

Sucks. I still maintain Tubby's problem is not recruiting. He's a Jerry Kill recruiter, recruiting to his system so he'll always be underwhelming to the fans who think we should be going after the same guys as Ky/Duke/UNC/KU. Tubby's problem was losing Cobbs, Devoe & Colt. People who criticize him for this have every right imo. That said, they're gone, that's spilled milk. Let's see if he can keep this current nucleus of young players together as they become upperclassmen? If he can I think they'll make a couple nice runs at/in the B1G championship/NCAA tourney.

+1

6 min to play 71-64 Oregon. Devoe with 25 Cobbs with 20 and 6 assists.....

Cal announcers fawning over Joseph. Now 26 points and 8-8 from the ft line. 24 for Cobbs

I feel much better about it now that his recruiting has been compared to a guy that has won 2 Big Ten conference games and lost to New Mexico State and a Dakota school. I really hope Jerry Kill works out, but the optimism for a guy who had a bad first year and brought in the lowest ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten boggles my mind.

I feel much better about it now that his recruiting has been compared to a guy that has won 2 Big Ten conference games and lost to New Mexico State and a Dakota school. I really hope Jerry Kill works out, but the optimism for a guy who had a bad first year and brought in the lowest ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten boggles my mind.

You totally missed the point of his comment. You need to read the next part of the sentence. It may have been better to have said "He's a Jerry Kill-style recruiter".

86-83 Cali final. Joseph with 33, Cobbs with 28. Joseph missed a 35 footer as time expired to tie after hitting one from almost the same spot the previous possession.

Looks like Barrero will have plenty to talk about tomorrow.....

@Al_Nolen: royce ballin j cobbs ballin devoe ballin s**t maybe we should have transferred to huh @VIPJohnson34? lol

@VIPJohnson34: Man I wonder if I transferred I would have killed ummm..nevermind I enjoyed my time at the U

ouch.

Carlos Emory from MPLS also had 11 for Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom