EARLY baseball bracketology

Big Ten/Big East Challenge

Gophers and Michigan State both go 1-2 @ Big Ten/Big East Challenge in Florida.

Gophers beat #15 Louisville 7-1, fall 6-1 to #11 St. John's and 4-3 to USF.

Sparty beats #11 St. John's 11-4, fall 2-1 to USF and 7-6 to #15 Louisville.

How come they dont start the season with a sweep through the south like they used too?
Not sure. They have the longest homestand in Gopher baseball history from what I've read.
The 2012 season will be the 125th season of Golden Gopher baseball and Gopher fans will have the opportunity to see the vast majority of Gopher games at home this year.

Typically the Gophers will embark on two warm-weather trips to face some of the talented sun belt and west coast teams. In between they host the DQ Classic which often features one or two nationally competitive teams. Last year the roof of the Metrodome collapsed and the Gophers had very few home games. And they also ran into some bad luck with weather and saw a number of their west coast games canceled as well. This year will be very different as the Gophers will make one short trip to Florida and then they will play 27 consecutive home games, 39 in total.

"I think all of us, players and coaches alike, are happy that we’ll be able to play at home this year," Anderson said. "It’s a significant home stand and I know it’s the longest consecutive home stand in the history of this program as we play 27 home games in a row. I’ve always felt that the first month or the first five weeks of the season is really critical to forming your team. This year, we get to play at home, we know we’re going to play every game and we’re going to get our work in every single day. We’re playing a competitive schedule that will give us a chance to develop our team and hopefully put us in a position to compete for a Big Ten Championship."

Hopefully they win today's game (Sunday) and come out of the series 3-1.

Nice game by T.J.Oakes. 5.2 innings with 7 K's as he shut down New Mexico State. Bobby Juan with 3 hits and 3 RBI's. Gophers (now 4-5) win 8-1

Gophers now 5-6 after winning the Dairy Queen Classic despite dropping the final game to Nebraska. Nice to see them put up some runs in the first and second game. 4-4 so far on the 27 game homestand.

In the early going B1G baseball has a few teams with solid RPIs

As of March 19,

#8 Purdue is 14-3.

#39 Michigan State is 10-7.

Newcomer Nebraska is #57 with a 14-7 mark.

It's early, but I think this might be a season where the B1G has a solid chance to receive multiple bids.

6-5 ndsu for sweep, rematch april 25 newman field fargo
Whats the deal with gophers baseball? Im used to top 40,50 young team?

Yes they are very young and have had some injuries to their better position players. They can pitch a bit, I actually haven't looked at the pitching for this series, but my assumption is they weren't starting their best pitchers, which hurt.

Their biggest problem this year is going to be hitting. I think they will be be able to pitch with anyone in the Big Ten, but their hitting leaves much to be desired. Hopefully they can figure out how to find some bats, or it will be a long year.

What is the story with Trip Schultz and Kyle Geason? I notice they haven't been playing and they were two of our best offensive weapons entering the season.

With the Big Ten not allowing over signing, it really hurt with all the juniors going pro last year. Hitting is very weak. I assume Geason is hurt.

Gophers open the conference schedule tomorrow (March 30) against Michigan, 12-13. Minnesota is 13-13, with a 4 game winning streak. They've only given up a total of 4 runs in the last 4 contests.

Gophers (14-13 1-0) win the conference opener against Michigan, 6-3. Oakes threw 7 innings, 1 unearned run, 9 k's, 113 pitches. Juan with an inside the park home run along with 4 RBI's.

Top Bottom