Q&A: Rashad Vaughn Adds Big Time Offers as His Big Time Game Continues to Excel

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Rashad Vaughn Adds Big Time Offers as His Big Time Game Continues to Excel
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/134488?referrer_id=331171

Rashad Vaughn, a 6-foot-4 sophomore from Robbinsdale Cooper, shined this week as he scored 94 points in three games, including 35 points against three-time Class AAAA champion Hopkins Saturday. GopherHole.com caught up with Vaughn to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Vaughn is averaging 27.0 points per game this season. He has scored more than 30 points in nine games and has been held to less than 20 points just twice this year.

Vaughn received an offer from the Gophers at the Tubby Smith Team Camp this summer. Vaughn attended a Gopher football earlier this fall and he and his Cooper teammates were guests at the Gophers’ basketball game versus Central Michigan.

Vaughn has taken a much bigger scoring load with the loss of their top three scorers to graduation and is the team’s lone double figure scorer this season.

GopherHole.com caught up with Vaughn to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Obviously playing three games in three days is tough, but you had 31 points versus Armstrong Thursday, 28 points against Fridley Friday. How pleased are you with how well you have been playing despite playing back-to-back-to-back games?

Rashad Vaughn: It has been good. We played the three games. We were tired, but we have just been pushing it, so it has been good. We had went 4-1 9in our last five games.

Gopher Hole: You were in Madison for the Wisconsin-Ohio State game last Saturday. How was the visit?

Rashad Vaughn: It was fun. It was a good atmosphere there. We talked to Bo Ryan and we went to his office, so it was good.

Gopher Hole: What did Coach Ryan say to you?

Rashad Vaughn: Basically, he said that they were coaches I could trust and if I went there, I could probably play right away.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that is appealing to you?

Rashad Vaughn: Yes.

Gopher Hole: Texas offered you a scholarship this week. Have you been hearing from them for awhile?

Rashad Vaughn: They have been talking to me for awhile, but then they finally offered after the Armstrong game.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to now? Do you still keep track?

Rashad Vaughn: I don’t really keep track anymore.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to go to any camps this summer or visit some schools this spring and summer along with playing AAU ball?

Rashad Vaughn: I am going to try to do a couple of visits and do a couple of camps this year.

Gopher Hole: What college games have you been to this season?

Rashad Vaughn: I have been to the Iowa State game when they played Texas. I’ve been to two or three Gopher game and the Wisconsin game.

Gopher Hole: How do you feel that the team is playing going into the end of the season and playoffs?

Rashad Vaughn: We are starting to come together more as a team the last few games. They have been picking up on their scoring, so I don’t really have to score that much, but today I had to step up and score.

Gopher Hole: What about playing a team like Hopkins? They have won three straight titles and there is a reason that they are so good. Does playing a team like this show you that even that you are playing better that you still need to continue to improve?

Rashad Vaughn: Yes, we have a lot to improve. I think that we should have stayed in with them, but we let it get away. We was up with them for a minute, so that was good.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about when you might decide on a school. I know that it is so far away still, but have you thought that far.

Rashad Vaughn: I think going into my senior year.

Gopher Hole: What do you like about Iowa State?

Rashad Vaughn: The coaching staff. The school. Everything about it. It is a good program there.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are wearing a Baylor shirt. What do you like about them?

Rashad Vaughn: They play my style of play. Their coaching staff has really reached out. It is a good school.

Gopher Hole: How about Wisconsin?

Rashad Vaughn: It is a good atmosphere. Coach Bo Ryan, he is good. Coach Greg Gard, he is a good person.

Gopher Hole: How about the Gophers?

Rashad Vaughn: They are home and they have been there since I was in eighth or ninth grade.

Gopher Hole: Does going to a college far away would that be a factor? Do you want to stay closer to home or does that matter at all?

Rashad Vaughn: No, that doesn’t really matter at all.

Top Bottom