Bruce Weber's frustration boiling over

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Found most notable his comments on Aaron Craft, Draymond Green and Robbie Hummel. Clearly he's taking a ding at his own team's lack of leadership. Frankly, I agree with Weber, but expressing that kind of stuff outside closed doors is what gets coaches in hot(ter) water.

Having a bonafide team leader is always a good thing, and I think that's something the Gophers certainly have lacked since Mbakwe went down. Ralph and Rodney (our most experienced players) by all accounts seem/appear to be nice, quality young men, but it's pretty obvious neither one is comfortable being a take-charge kinda' guy. Not a criticism, just the way they're wired.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/stor...ng-illini-coach-bruce-weber-clarifies-remarks

Found most notable his comments on Aaron Craft, Draymond Green and Robbie Hummel. Clearly he's taking a ding at his own team's lack of leadership. Frankly, I agree with Weber, but expressing that kind of stuff outside closed doors is what get coaches in hot(ter) water.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/stor...ng-illini-coach-bruce-weber-clarifies-remarks

He should be frustrated with himself that he hasn't been able to recruit his own difference makers. I am sure he misses the Bill Self recruits that he walked into when joining Illinois.

Gopher in Texas said:
The comments fuel speculation that the decision has been made on Weber's future.

http://www.herald-review.com/blogs/mark_tupper/weber-s-post-game-remarks-make-it-clear-it-s/article_c869a69e-586b-11e1-a7f6-0019bb2963f4.html

Illinois has some serious talent (I don't care how many stars they had out of high school).

Just no where near the talent that Bill Self was able to bring in there and which Weber reaped the benefits of out of the game. Fair or not he will be viewed as a step down from Self and that is what will likely undue him in the end.

Leonard and Paul are fine players. Richardson and Bertrand are also streaky but talented. Illinois has better personnel than MN and a vast recruiting platform, way better than MN. Not unlike the Gophers, and IMO in more of a pronounced fashion, IL plays in spurts and lulls, way below their talent level. Weber gets way less out of his group than Tubby does with the Gophers. That's why he won't survive. Seems like a nice guy - he'll find another home.

Just no where near the talent that Bill Self was able to bring in there and which Weber reaped the benefits of out of the game. Fair or not he will be viewed as a step down from Self and that is what will likely undue him in the end.

I don't think the comparison with Self is the problem at all. It's that Illinois historically has had the second-best record in Big Ten competition, and they haven't finished closer than four games back of the Big Ten regular season champion in ANY year that Weber's recruits have led the team (i.e., since Dee Brown and James Augustine left in 2006). They have a total of one NCAA tourney win with Weber's recruits leading the team.

Top Bottom