What is better for this gopher team...NCAA or NIT

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
What is the better scenario for this YOUNG gopher team?

Sneak into the NCAAs, get a team like Louisville in RD 1, and more than likely lose...

or get a high seed in the NIT..win a few games..maybe go to the Final 4, and gain some confidence going into next year???

I would take the NCAA experience

What is the better scenario for this YOUNG gopher team?

Sneak into the NCAAs, get a team like Louisville in RD 1, and more than likely lose...

or get a high seed in the NIT..win a few games..maybe go to the Final 4, and gain some confidence going into next year???

Nice screen name!

If the Gophers fail to make the NCAA, this is a season where the NIT could serve a long-term benefit. That's not the case all the time (i.e. when you have a bunch of seniors). We have a lot of guys coming back next year, so any additional games would be beneficial.

To answer the question. ... NCAA Tournament every single time. Not even a question.

Seriiously? I mean seriously?

yes, seriously, when you have a young team...is it really more beneficial to go one and done in the NCAAs, rather than play deep into the NIT?

I dont think its as much of a slam dunk as you think

If the Gophers fail to make the NCAA, this is a season where the NIT could serve a long-term benefit. That's not the case all the time (i.e. when you have a bunch of seniors). We have a lot of guys coming back next year, so any additional games would be beneficial.

To answer the question. ... NCAA Tournament every single time. Not even a question.

I agree with you. Going to the NCAA tournament would likely mean winning 4 of our last five games, which would be a nice confidence boost for the team, or at least 3 of the last five regular season games and nice run in the conference tournament.

Going to the NIT, you could say, "Look at the bright side, at least we get to play some more games," but I think going to the NCAA tournament would be more beneficial to the team because of what it would take to get there.

I'm too lazy to look this up, but I remember a year when the Gophs missed the NCAA's and had a real nice run in the NIT. The next year, they came back and made the NCAA tournament, and played well. I think Voshon Lenard was playing then, but (as I said), I'm doing this from my foggy memory.

Getting to the point - this team needs to learn how to win. They need to learn what a win feels like. Personally, I think in the long run, they might be better served to play (and win) several games in the NIT, as opposed to a 1-and-done in the NCAA. I also think a 1-and-done in the NCAA would ramp up the media heat on Tubby.

And, to be perfectly blunt, I would be (pleasantly) shocked if this year's team makes the NCAA's. I just haven't seen enough to believe that they're capable of the kind of run it would take to make the big tournament.

NCAA tournament, all day every day. Especially this season, as it looks like it will take some solid wins down the stretch to get it done. I think that would do a lot for them alone. A few NIT wins (which isn't a given anyway, remember we lost the first game in Tubby's first year) wouldn't be as beneficial as a run to get to the NCAAs. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen, but if it did, that'd be FAR more beneficial to this team IMO.

I'm assuming this thread is sarcastic right? Right?

You don't lure recruits by bragging about NIT appearances. No kid grows up dreaming about making a run in the NIT.

Big Dance or bust. I cannot believe this stupid thread comes up every year - but then again, they do have those embarassing NIT banners hanging at the Barn.....

I'm assuming this thread is sarcastic right? Right?

You don't lure recruits by bragging about NIT appearances. No kid grows up dreaming about making a run the NIT.

Big Dance or bust. I cannot believe this stupid thread comes up every year - but then again, they do have those embarassing NIT banners hanging at the Barn.....

:rolleyes: you arent gonna to "wow" recruits with a one and done appearance in the NCAAs either..

Im talking about the future of this team with the young guys we have.

for the record, Id rather be one and done in the NCAAs as well, but dont think its a huge deal if this team goes to the NIT instead

I say making the Big Dance always wins out. They would have a taste of what it's like and hopefully work harder to get there next year. IMO first round out > NIT Title.

:rolleyes: you arent gonna to "wow" recruits with a one and done appearance in the NCAAs either..

LOL!! Are you serious!!!!

Just when I thought this couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Name one coach or player in the country that would rather play 2-3 games in the NIT in front of 200 people....or get your name called on Selection Sunday and see your name in the bracket and have a chance to be in "One Shining Moment" and tell your grandkids you played in THEE tournament.

Yeah, I'll take the NIT :clap:

First off there is no guarantee the team would win a game in the NIT, none and at the same time there is no guarantee they would lose a first round game in NCAA tournament.

There is no question making the NCAA is 100000 times better than the NIT.

Does anyone actually think that beating some team at home that wasn't good enough to make the tourney would be more beneficial than beating someone like msu or Indiana at home?

The NCAA....it's not close.

The goal is to always go to the NCAA and it's always in the best interest of the program.

LOL!! Are you serious!!!!

Just when I thought this couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Name one coach or player in the country that would rather play 2-3 games in the NIT in front of 200 people....or get your name called on Selection Sunday and see your name in the bracket and have a chance to be in "One Shining Moment" and tell your grandkids you played in THEE tournament.

Yeah, I'll take the NIT :clap:

the ridiculousness started when you brought "recruiting" into the discussion in this thread...we arent going to "gain" any recruits this year or next by being 1 and done in the tourney...put together a few good years/runs in the tourney and THEN you can start comparing recruiting to playing in the NCAA tourney.

Its not all about "what the players or coaches WANT"...of course everyone wants to play in the tourney..the thread is asking what is better for this team going forward

when you have a team with 1 senior, and an expectation to be MUCH better next year, playing a few extra games in the NIT this year isn't as bad as it seems....again, I hope the team makes the tourney, but I don't think its a NCAA or BUST like everyone says it is

First off there is no guarantee the team would win a game in the NIT, none and at the same time there is no guarantee they would lose a first round game in NCAA tournament.

There is no question making the NCAA is 100000 times better than the NIT.

Does anyone actually think that beating some team at home that wasn't good enough to make the tourney would be more beneficial than beating someone like msu or Indiana at home?

That is what the discussion is (hypothetical) If you knew the team was going to play a few more games in the NIT, is it more beneficial to do that than being 1 and done in the NCAAs?

as fans (just like the players/coaches) we all want the team to make the big dance, and pull a VCU like run in the final 4....but what benefits the team more at this point, with the youth we have

the ridiculousness started when you brought "recruiting" into the discussion in this thread...we arent going to "gain" any recruits this year or next by being 1 and done in the tourney...put together a few good years/runs in the tourney and THEN you can start comparing recruiting to playing in the NCAA tourney.

Its not all about "what the players or coaches WANT"...of course everyone wants to play in the tourney..the thread is asking what is better for this team going forward

when you have a team with 1 senior, and an expectation to be MUCH better next year, playing a few extra games in the NIT this year isn't as bad as it seems....again, I hope the team makes the tourney, but I don't think its a NCAA or BUST like everyone says it is

Wanna bet? High school kids want to play in the NCAA Tournament. Even if you go one and done every year - that's 100X better than making a run in the NIT that nobody cares about or will remember.

How's that NIT title for Penn State a couple years ago working out for them? Yeah, they made the Big Dance the following year but who cares.....I guarantee they would've traded that NIT title for a 30 point blowout loss in the 1st round. Do you think Tubby will point out those NIT banners when showing Tyus Jones around campus?

As much as Art's schtick gets old, I agree with him.

Losing in the NCAA tournament is way better for recruiting than going on a run in th NIT's. Just being able to sit in a kid's home and say, "hey, we went to the NCAA tournament last year, 3 of the last 4 seasons, and we return most of our talent...etc", that sells. Everyone wants to be dancing. Everyone watches those NCAA tournament games, even the first couple rounds.

Players like to play for teams who are in the NCAA tournament, not the NIT. Consistently making the NCAA tourney draws in better recruits, and better recruits make for a better team. Therefore, making the NCAA tournament is definitely better for the team going forward. It's not even close.

The NCAA....it's not close.

The goal is to always go to the NCAA and it's always in the best interest of the program.

And an NCAA tournament win would be to get to the round of 32 not a win against an equally suspect bubble team in the playin game that technically counts.

Miles Tarver said:
yes, seriously, when you have a young team...is it really more beneficial to go one and done in the NCAAs, rather than play deep into the NIT?

I dont think its as much of a slam dunk as you think
Did you just start this thread just to get reactions? Everybody knows that the main goal is to get to the big dance not the NIT. It's more money for the school and looks better to kids when recruiting. It gives the team experience and a taste of the dance for the following year. This is a no brainer!

This feels like a false choice. If an NIT run and an NCAA one-and-done performance are both unattractive options, then lets make an NCAA run.

My personal feeling is that a team that goes say 8-10 in it's conference has no business playing in the NCAA tournament. From a fans perspective I sure would not value it. Making it into the tournament is the reward for a successfull season, in that case it would be a complete joke, kind of a slap in the face.

If they can somehow find a way to go 9-9 or get to the Big Ten tournament final then I feel they would have earned it and I would be all for getting in.

In the opinions above, there's been a lot of mixing between what's best for the program and what's best for the current team of players we have. However, in both cases, I think the NCAA tournament is better.

In looking at what's best for the current group of guys we have, I look at it this way: anything that's not an NCAA tournament game can't compare to an NCAA tournament game. The experience the guys would get, even from going one and done, would be very valuable heading forward. They would have a better understanding of how it works, what to expect, and what you need to do to be successful against a team that is fighting for their season in front of a national audience. I like to think that if they get a taste, they'll be even more determined to get back there and find success.

If the team gets to the point where they are NIT bound, that experience certainly won't be bad for the current team. As mentioned, learning how to win is something this young team really needs to feel and develop. The NIT, like a fringe bowl (for the extra game and practices), is good because it gives teams experience in a lower-pressure situation. But nothing compares to the NCAAs. The NIT is lower-intensity, lower-relevance, etc. No one cares about the 69th best team in D1.

In order for your question to make any sense, one must envision a scenario in which a team would turn down an NCAA invite to attend the NIT. Has this ever happened, at least since the NIT stopped mattering? No. Will it ever happen? No, of course not. There is no situation in which the NIT would be better for the team, the program, the players, the coaches, or the fans. It is the Dance, 100% of the time, every time. Art is a doosh, but he is right on this. Does anyone remember or care that Penn St. won the NIT a couple years ago? Do Penn St. fans even care?

This question is the equivalent of asking whether you'd rather have a one-night-only four-way with the Dahm triplets, or take home a 300-lb. Sconnie coed who you can have your way with for the next two weeks. Assuming you don't get the invite from the Dahms, I suppose the 300-lb. Sconnie is better than your right hand, but I question the intelligence of anyone who'd turn down the Dahms.

This question is the equivalent of asking whether you'd rather have a one-night-only four-way with the Dahm triplets, or take home a 300-lb. Sconnie coed who you can have your way with for the next two weeks. Assuming you don't get the invite from the Dahms, I suppose the 300-lb. Sconnie is better than your right hand, but I question the intelligence of anyone who'd turn down the Dahms.

I'd be more afraid of the 300lb Sconnie eating my right hand while I sleep.

Top Bottom