Barnyard Threatened with Expulsion

I Miss D.J.

Reaction score
We were told by a security guard that the entire section would be thrown out of the game: first for chanting "a##hole" at a kid wearing OSU clothes in the student section (he was allowed to stay), and second for "these refs suck." Unbelievable.

Our athletics department does seem to be much more concerned about sportsmanship in our home facilities than they are about the sports in our home facilities. They openly try to neuter the student sections, and then through their own incompetence neuter our revenue sports programs.

We had this happen to us while I was attending college. It just sucks the life you, cuz when you try to get into the moment they glare at you and shake their heads no!

I just read "One on One" by John Feinstein and a section about Duke he talks about their student section using a couple of different approaches to voicing their displeasure. On a "bad" call they would chant "We beg to differ" and on opposing free throws "please miss". He also notes that Dean Smith would grab the microphone and tell the student section to clean it up if they were doing things he didn't think were appropriate.

Minnesconsin fan said:
I just read "One on One" by John Feinstein and a section about Duke he talks about their student section using a couple of different approaches to voicing their displeasure. On a "bad" call they would chant "We beg to differ" and on opposing free throws "please miss". He also notes that Dean Smith would grab the microphone and tell the student section to clean it up if they were doing things he didn't think were appropriate.

Agreed. That's one thing I love about Duke fans, they are VERY creative.

I still love the "You Let The Whole Team Down" chant when opposing players screw up.

It is called "freedom of speech" I suppose now Maturi is going to tell the students to use either thumbs up or thumbs down.

ruppertflywheel said:
It is called "freedom of speech" I suppose now Maturi is going to tell the students to use either thumbs up or thumbs down.

Not true. If they started chanting the N word at a player, they'd all be kicked out. Freedom of speech won't save you from that. It is a public arena. You can't scream bomb on an airplane and be mad when you get kicked out.

Not true. If they started chanting the N word at a player, they'd all be kicked out. Freedom of speech won't save you from that. It is a public arena. You can't scream bomb on an airplane and be mad when you get kicked out.

scher215: Buddy, that's a little bit extreme over "these refs suck"

ruppertflywheel said:
scher215: Buddy, that's a little bit extreme over "these refs suck"

Obviously. I'm just saying a line had to be drawn some here. Is F*** Bo Ryan that line? In an arena with multiple children? I liked the chant once but it was ridiculously over used now. It just shows lack of creativity. As well as chanting P**** at players. I'm not worried about their feelings as much as the kids in the arena and the pure laziness it shows the student section has and lack of leadership there too.

Gopher basketball shouldn't be an 18+ event.

The scenario described above has nothing to do with "freedom of speech". Sorry.

Obviously. I'm just saying a line had to be drawn some here. Is F*** Bo Ryan that line? In an arena with multiple children? I liked the chant once but it was ridiculously over used now. It just shows lack of creativity. As well as chanting P**** at players. I'm not worried about their feelings as much as the kids in the arena and the pure laziness it shows the student section has and lack of leadership there too.

Gopher basketball shouldn't be an 18+ event.

So you're telling me, using this as an age bracket, kids 6-9 years of age haven't heard the "F" word? And quite frankly, how many 6-9 year old kids are in the student section? I certainly agree that if there is some loudmouth bloke in back of you firing F-bombs he should
be called out if there are young kids in the area. This is the "Barnyard" we're talking about. A simple solution would be to say "Buck Bo Ryan"

Years ago when I was a season ticket holder in the student section (during the Sunshine Steve Esselink era), we used to chant "f*cking midget" at Izzo, "asshole" at Jesse Ventura (raised tuition again), and various other obscenities at opposing players/coaches all season long. I once brought a hand painted sign with a huge "FAH Q IOWA" and proudly displayed it from our 2nd row seats. The sign was eventually taken away by security, but other than that, the only threat or comment made by anyone was from the cheerleader coach who sternly told our group to watch our language or get out. To our immediate reply, go f*ck yourself or get out. Those season tickets came with no language requirement and given our level of intoxication, apparently BAC didn't matter either. Times must have changed.

ruppertflywheel said:
So you're telling me, using this as an age bracket, kids 6-9 years of age haven't heard the "F" word? And quite frankly, how many 6-9 year old kids are in the student section? I certainly agree that if there is some loudmouth bloke in back of you firing F-bombs he should
be called out if there are young kids in the area. This is the "Barnyard" we're talking about. A simple solution would be to say "Buck Bo Ryan"

6-9 year olds can't hear the chant? Why are we chanting then if it can't be heard? And yes, Buck Bo Ryan is even more creative. The F Bo Ryan chant is so lazy. It's not creative at all. It was cool the first time to get it on TV like that, but now it is just over used. We have done well before, last two years have been embarrassing chant wise. I still loved the chant at Anthony tucker "who likes drinking? He likes drinking!" and "one more beer! One
More beer!"

HouseOfHagen said:
Years ago when I was a season ticket holder in the student section (during the Sunshine Steve Esselink era), we used to chant "f*cking midget" at Izzo, "asshole" at Jesse Ventura (raised tuition again), and various other obscenities at opposing players/coaches all season long. I once brought a hand painted sign with a huge "FAH Q IOWA" and proudly displayed it from our 2nd row seats. The sign was eventually taken away by security, but other than that, the only threat or comment made by anyone was from the cheerleader coach who sternly told our group to watch our language or get out. To our immediate reply, go f*ck yourself or get out. Those season tickets came with no language requirement and given our level of intoxication, apparently BAC didn't matter either. Times must have changed.

Would the Izzo chant have lost merit if it was "you're a midget" or "stupid midget" or "little people" "get a stool" (although Fing midget is still more creative than "F tom izzo") or for Ventura maybe a "we need ramen" or "now we're broke" just off of the top of my head, put some work into it and be creative. I hate lady gaga, but when u can't talk about sex on the radio you call it a disco stick. Creative ways to say vulgar things that don't make it an unfriendly environment to families and kids.

They should have done it again and got kicked out to prove a point, that would not have made the U look very good

Agree big time about a lack of creativity and leadership in the Barnyard. My high school had a pretty good student section back when I graduated (400+). If they disagreed with a call, one creative chant they did was to yell "push it" and make a pushing motion with their arms. It sounded exactly like bulls*it (some of them were probably yelling bulls*it anyways) but there was nothing our AD could do about it.

Shameless plug, but help make The Barnyard Better!

The real work will get done in the offseason/next fall. We need students that will put some effort into making the Barnyard better. Just because the "barnyard board" has decided to mail it in doesn't mean everyone has to.

I sent an email to Maturi last year expressing some concern about student section activity. One of the points I brought up was why the "Hey Song" is no longer allowed to be played by the band at the 10 minutes mark of the 3rd period at hockey games. I always thought it was really cool how even when the band had to stop playing due to play resuming, the students would continue to sing the song as a whole. EVERYONE would participate. Well, Maturi's response was. "Because it was known as the You Suck song because the students would chant that during the song, and we dont appreciate that kind of language" I couldnt believe it.

I sent an email to Maturi last year expressing some concern about student section activity. One of the points I brought up was why the "Hey Song" is no longer allowed to be played by the band at the 10 minutes mark of the 3rd period at hockey games. I always thought it was really cool how even when the band had to stop playing due to play resuming, the students would continue to sing the song as a whole. EVERYONE would participate. Well, Maturi's response was. "Because it was known as the You Suck song because the students would chant that during the song, and we dont appreciate that kind of language" I couldnt believe it.

I guess that's fair. I want to kick him out of Gopher sports because I know him as the You Suck AD and I don't appreciate his kind of results in revenue sports programs. Seems like the roughly the same thing.

NO, it's not a free speech issue. The school is perfectly within its purview to call down profanity. You can cheer and/or boo without being offensiev in a public atmosphere.

I Miss D.J. said:
We were told by a security guard that the entire section would be thrown out of the game: first for chanting "a##hole" at a kid wearing OSU clothes in the student section (he was allowed to stay), and second for "these refs suck." Unbelievable.
There is NO WAY the U or U security would ever throw out a section. That would make the Barn Yard look bad but that would also make the U of M look bad. Won't happen.

It is imperative for the Barnyard to sit down with the new athletic director, whomever that will be, and fix this nonsense.

Top Bottom