The 20-0 run...

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
was obviously the difference. We've had a lot of these moments this year where we look so disinterested and get out hustled for a period of the game. I don't know what is going on. It could be coaching, it could be inexperience, it could be a lack of leadership. It's probably a combination of the three.

I don't know for sure, but I've got to believe that close to half of our 14 turnovers came in that 20-0 run. It didn't look like they were doing anything out of the ordinary on defense, we were just playing scared and letting frustration get the best of us. Tonight we played well for 30 minutes or so. But the bad was downright awful. Same thing happened at Iowa. We were terrible to start and terrible to end. We played very well in the middle of the game. The key is to somehow change these "awful" stretches to just below average.

- Tubby probably needs to use his timeouts more often during these run, especially with us being so young.
- Someone needs to step up and lead this team. I wish Williams had more of the fire that Mbakwe has. Welch has been a little disappointing in this department. After Mbakwe went down, it looked like Welch was going to become our leader on the floor. It seems that his failure in the first Illinois game really changed that and he lost some confidence.

Tubby needs to not have 5 backups playing at the same time.
Did they have more turnovers or shot attempts?

And then after the run has started you bring back starters, cold. And they can't turn the momentum while collectively all needing to get back into the flow.

It starts from the top down.

Coach....... Tubby
Sr............. Ralph
Jr.............. Rodney

Let's see some fire and intensity for 40 minutes.

Coach....... Tubby

Tubby has lost the fire that he once had as a coach. When was the last time you saw him lose it and get a "T" or whiteout on a player. He did that at UK all the time. He will put his arms up in disgust once in a while but then sit down back into his chair and have a resigned look on his face as if the loss was inevitable.

Tubby has lost the fire that he once had as a coach. When was the last time you saw him lose it and get a "T" or whiteout on a player. He did that at UK all the time. He will put his arms up in disgust once in a while but then sit down back into his chair and have a resigned look on his face as if the loss was inevitable.

I've been hoping he'd take a T for a couple of years now - possibly to send a message to the refs, possibly to send a message to the team, possibly to send a message to the fans, but yes, there were times tonight (and many times during his tenure here) where taking a T may have done some good. And I agree, he just raises his hands and then sits back down and it is frustrating as you want to see him sticking up for his team. I have no idea if this is always how he has composed himself throughout his career, but the intensity is sometimes lacking.

Go Gophers!!

When's the last time we saw a player just take control in times like that as well? I agree with what you're saying, but it's got to be on the players as well. They are the guys playing, and if they can't get pumped up for a game against a top 10 team at home when we're fighting for a tourney bid, then there's something wrong.

When's the last time we saw a player just take control in times like that as well? I agree with what you're saying, but it's got to be on the players as well. They are the guys playing, and if they can't get pumped up for a game against a top 10 team at home when we're fighting for a tourney bid, then there's something wrong.

+19

No team should ever give up a 20-0 run,,,,,to anyone.

There are no Westbrook's or Vinny Grier's on this team. Tubby has recruited nice, passive guys like Austin, Ralph, Chip, Julian, Maverick, and Rodney (even though he is better this year). Gotta have a mentally strong leader who can talk and walk the walk. I hope this becomes an Andre Hollins or a Joe Coleman in the future.

There are no Westbrook's or Vinny Grier's on this team. Tubby has recruited nice, passive guys like Austin, Ralph, Chip, Julian, Maverick, and Rodney (even though he is better this year). Gotta have a mentally strong leader who can talk and walk the walk. I hope this becomes an Andre Hollins or a Joe Coleman in the future.

I think Andre Hollins can become that guy. I got a chuckle out of his "pass" to Sullinger's mid-section tonight.

Did Tubby even know they were on the wrong side of a 20-0 run? I doubt it. He kept team B in.

Did Tubby even know they were on the wrong side of a 20-0 run? I doubt it. He kept team B in.

False. The run started with many of our starters in. I think Ohio St. went on just a 4-0 run with Chip and Maverick in.

Just looked it up, we had 8 turnovers in an 8 minute time frame in the 1st half. We had just 6 the other 32.

This. Look at how much passion our lone senior plays with. I'm all for silent leaders and things like that, but Ralph sets the tone for the rest of the team. His body language and his play both point to a lack of aggression and leadership. Eliason plays with a hell of a lot more fire and purpose when he's out there.

Rodney didn't show much passion until the 2nd half, but that was about as much as I've seen from him all season long. It was nice to see him demanding the ball and refusing to be denied when he put his mind to it. 40 minutes of that from any combination of players would be a huge boost.

Anyone notice how disinterested ralph jr looked during his time on camera.

Ralph set the tone for the game with a easy jump hook over Sullinger. Subsequently, he was saddled with ticky tack fouls. EE was horrible. Multiple missed layups, gave up multiple offensive rebounds, scored over in paint repeatedly, and whined all night long. Do you guys really watch the game?

I was hoping Tubby would make a stand against the Refs who gave OSU 75% of the 50-50 calls...I wanted to see Tubby get himself tossed and just let Hightower and company know they can't job the Gophers and not hear about it.

This. Look at how much passion our lone senior plays with. I'm all for silent leaders and things like that, but Ralph sets the tone for the rest of the team. His body language and his play both point to a lack of aggression and leadership. Eliason plays with a hell of a lot more fire and purpose when he's out there.

Rodney didn't show much passion until the 2nd half, but that was about as much as I've seen from him all season long. It was nice to see him demanding the ball and refusing to be denied when he put his mind to it. 40 minutes of that from any combination of players would be a huge boost.

I'm a lot more concerned about the aggressiveness in Ralph's play than I am in his body language (I don't give a damn what his facial expression is). That stretch was brutal. Fighting for your tournament lives and the team plays that heartless for that long. We've still got 5 chances (including 2 home games against teams we beat on the road and 1 road game against a team we utterly dominated at home) to get the 4 wins needed to make the tourney. This stretch will tell us how bad the team wants it. Fact of the matter is, if we can't find it in us to win one game against the top 4 teams in the conference, we probably don't deserve it anyway.

Ralph set the tone for the game with a easy jump hook over Sullinger. Subsequently, he was saddled with ticky tack fouls. EE was horrible. Multiple missed layups, gave up multiple offensive rebounds, scored over in paint repeatedly, and whined all night long. Do you guys really watch the game?

+1. I've never been an EE guy. Just because he's not in a coma like Ralph doesn't mean he's a servicable player. He's a poor rebounder, has no offensive moves, has incredibly slow feet on the defensive end, and has anything but soft hands. He's best asset is he's hard to move on defense. That's about it. GO UP STRONG! He was trying to do reverse and behind the back layups all night.

+1. I've never been an EE guy. Just because he's not in a coma like Ralph doesn't mean he's a servicable player. He's a poor rebounder, has no offensive moves, has incredibly slow feet on the defensive end, and has anything but soft hands. He's best asset is he's hard to move on defense. That's about it. GO UP STRONG! He was trying to do reverse and behind the back layups all night.

Settle down, he's also freshman. In 4 years he will be a much better big man than Ralph is right now.

Anyone notice how disinterested ralph jr looked during his time on camera.

I was disappointed in that- I was hoping to use him in my sales pitch in case I have to sell my Nebraska tickets--"This is your last chance to see THE Ralph Sampson probably ever in Minnesota"

The turning of the game to me was when Ralph threw up a 3 point attempt at just under the 15 minute mark. there were about 15 seconds left on the shot clock. Ohio State rebounds, Sullinger draws the second foul on Ralph and goes to the line. Reserves come in, Andre (who stayed in) turns it over, Oto tuns it over, Chip turns it over. Chip throws up a brick beyond the arc. Mav comes in for Andre and throws up a brick from beyond the arc....it just wouldn't stop.

Agreed EE is a good player for a freshmen. Just because he tries to play in the post instead or running to the perimeter, even when he is playing an all american, we should commend him and not get on him for skills he hasnt grown into yet.

Not sure how anyone could take issue with how EE played last night. He's a raw, redshirt freshman & it's not like he was playing against chopped liver. He played like he always does, with energy and great effort (needs to stop worrying about the officials, though). He competes. I like that about him. I don't think it's an accident we usually play better & with more energy when he's on the floor.

This is where I think we miss Mbakwe the most. His leadership and intensity.

This is where I think we miss Mbakwe the most. His leadership and intensity.

would have been nice to see Trevor take a timeout and politely ask Tubby and the other coaches to stay out of the huddle for a minute while he had a word with the boys.

Not sure how anyone could take issue with how EE played last night. He's a raw, redshirt freshman & it's not like he was playing against chopped liver. He played like he always does, with energy and great effort (needs to stop worrying about the officials, though). He competes. I like that about him. I don't think it's an accident we usually play better & with more energy when he's on the floor.

I just feel people are just comparing EE to Ralph. In terms of energy and effort, it's a 1st round KO and given the choice of playing either, I'll take EE because Ralph is Ralph. However, I'm comparing EE to Colton. Colton as a true freshman >>>>>>>>>>> EE as a Redshirt freshman...and I'm not a Colton fan either. EE isn't a B1G player IMO and another recruiting mistake by Tubby. I think he's a liability on the court. Just because EE is better for this team than Ralph doesn't mean EE is right for this team.

However, I'm comparing EE to Colton. Colton as a true freshman >>>>>>>>>>> EE as a Redshirt freshman...and I'm not a Colton fan either. EE isn't a B1G player IMO and another recruiting mistake by Tubby. I think he's a liability on the court.

Really? Neither really lit the world on fire their first years regardless. I think Colt scored better at the rim, but other than that, not sure how he was ">>>>>>>>>>>" better than Eliason has been this year.

I just feel people are just comparing EE to Ralph. In terms of energy and effort, it's a 1st round KO and given the choice of playing either, I'll take EE because Ralph is Ralph. However, I'm comparing EE to Colton. Colton as a true freshman >>>>>>>>>>> EE as a Redshirt freshman...and I'm not a Colton fan either. EE isn't a B1G player IMO and another recruiting mistake by Tubby. I think he's a liability on the court. Just because EE is better for this team than Ralph doesn't mean EE is right for this team.

You may be right, but the problem with Iverson is he didn't improve much from his freshman to junior years. I think people are excited about the possibility of EE developing.

One place that EE does a much better job than Iverson ever did, is hang onto the ball. Iverson was a turnover machine for a guy who wasn't involved that much in the offense and played just 16-18 minutes a game.

Top Bottom