Attendance: 13,245

You're surprised people didn't want to go to a game most probably thought would be a blow-out, on Valentine's Day?

I wonder if the 2-4 home B10 record has something to do with that? Premium seating will only help it next year.

A non sellout for a big ten game used to be a rarity, and that's when seating was 16-18 k.

Guys on the corner were asking $50-$75 a ticket. Too rich for me. I said it before and i'll say it again until they put a block on ticket gougers like Ticket King, Stub Hub and others; no one is going to be able to afford a Gopher game. It's cheaper to attend a Wolves game and they are triple the entertainment.

National TV, 8:00 pm game, ( the oldsters have to have that Ovaltine by10:00) possible blowout, 2-4 BTR at home. Lots of negatives to hope for a sellout. I'm sure there wern't to many dudes out there that said: "Honey, for Valentine's Day I'm taking you to the Gopher game". Now during the Musselman era the infamous "Brawl Game" against Ohio State they sold SRO tickets and people actually sat on the steps. The fire marshal's were like rats in a coffee can they were so nervous. Damn, those were the days.

National TV, 8:00 pm game, ( the oldsters have to have that Ovaltine by10:00) possible blowout, 2-4 BTR at home. Lots of negatives to hope for a sellout. I'm sure there wern't to many dudes out there that said: "Honey, for Valentine's Day I'm taking you to the Gopher game". Now during the Musselman era the infamous "Brawl Game" against Ohio State they sold SRO tickets and people actually sat on the steps. The fire marshal's were like rats in a coffee can they were so nervous. Damn, those were the days.

Passionate coach.......

Passionate coach.......

You're right bga1. I'm trying to think the last time I was in Williams Arena and the hair actually stood up on the back of my neck because of the electricity. Probably during Clem's run.

There are a lot of young Gopher fans that simply can not afford to go to games, myself included. If the U of M realized that young fans were the future and offered a reasonable ticket package for recent college graduates they might be able to create a culture that led to an abundance of future season ticket holders. But the U of M refuses to sell reasonable tickets, and attendance will just continue to fall. Why would any reasonable person pay $35 to watch this team play in a game that is a sure loss.. on Valentine's Day nonetheless? Not to mention that if you don't pay in advance you are forced to find a $50 ticket on a secondary market..

Attendance is clearly trending in the wrong direction and I don't see anything being done to buck that trend. It's frustrating that the U of M won't even take care of their own. Sure, you can get affordable tickets as a student, but the moment you graduate you are forced to pay 5X your previous rate. They are doing themselves a major disservice and are making a very negative impression on recent grads.

GopherHoopsFan

You're right bga1. I'm trying to think the last time I was in Williams Arena and the hair actually stood up on the back of my neck because of the electricity. Probably during Clem's run.

Przybilla's last game vs. Indiana. Electric at tipoff. Amazing game by Przy. Then he quit and it has never reached that level again.

Ticket prices jumping from $30-$45 in the last 6 or so years isnt helping. Thanks Maturi.

I don't get why every ticket in there is the same price. They need to tier it so that upper deck, obstructed view, etc., are cheaper than the others. Not to mention that $45 a pop is too much to pay.

I think the going rate for the Illinois game for a seat in the last row of the corner of the upper deck was $45 a piece. Get real.

You can't get replays of close plays at the stadium.
As the tv experience has gotten better the live game has stayed the same or gotten worse. All the while ticket prices got higher.

There are a lot of young Gopher fans that simply can not afford to go to games, myself included. If the U of M realized that young fans were the future and offered a reasonable ticket package for recent college graduates they might be able to create a culture that led to an abundance of future season ticket holders. But the U of M refuses to sell reasonable tickets, and attendance will just continue to fall. Why would any reasonable person pay $35 to watch this team play in a game that is a sure loss.. on Valentine's Day nonetheless? Not to mention that if you don't pay in advance you are forced to find a $50 ticket on a secondary market..

Attendance is clearly trending in the wrong direction and I don't see anything being done to buck that trend. It's frustrating that the U of M won't even take care of their own. Sure, you can get affordable tickets as a student, but the moment you graduate you are forced to pay 5X your previous rate. They are doing themselves a major disservice and are making a very negative impression on recent grads.

GopherHoopsFan

THIS. Everything you said was on point. This was something I fought and fought and fought the U on, and got recent grad ticket for 2 year...and then they went back not having it. Based on availability, there should be a sliding scale. 1 year at the student rate, and increase it $100 each year. Let's face it, few college grads can fork over almost $700 for tickets out of school. Then you lose those fans and it's almost impossible to get them back. $100 or $200 for a season ticket is a lot better than nothing, plus, it creates a home court atmosphere.

THIS. Everything you said was on point. This was something I fought and fought and fought the U on, and got recent grad ticket for 2 year...and then they went back not having it. Based on availability, there should be a sliding scale. 1 year at the student rate, and increase it $100 each year. Let's face it, few college grads can fork over almost $700 for tickets out of school. Then you lose those fans and it's almost impossible to get them back. $100 or $200 for a season ticket is a lot better than nothing, plus, it creates a home court atmosphere.

+100

Upper Deck Corners or top rows

Iowa State offers a $100 season ticket in the upper deck corners at Hilton. I think it would make a lot of sense to offer something similar at Williams Arena, regardless of age or grad status.

Top Bottom