A Season on the Brink. The Northwestern game

Reaction score
Boys, this is your season right here. NW has a top 50 RPI rating and we beat them at home by 20. We need to shut down Shurna. If we don't win this game they have to do a home sweep just to get to 8-10. And I don't think 8-10 gets them to the tourney unless they make the semi's of the BTT. And it would still be a crap shoot depending on how the other mid-packs finish out. There is no other way you can slice it, dice it, chop it up, whatever.

This team doesn't seem capable or interested in playing more than 25-30 minutes per game.

Saturday's game is about as close to a
Must win as you can get. I think the term is overused but we are about 97.8% of the way there. Loss isn't the end of the world as they could win out or win the B1G tourney, but things will be VERY difficult with a loss Saturday. Need to win.

scher215 said:
Saturday's game is about as close to a
Must win as you can get. I think the term is overused but we are about 97.8% of the way there. Loss isn't the end of the world as they could win out or win the B1G tourney, but things will be VERY difficult with a loss Saturday. Need to win.
I have to agree - lose Saturday and NIT.

I like how you talk as if the team is reading your post.

Perfect timing for the Barnyard Trip. Hopefully the 100 or so of us come give em a little spark.

There will be no NCAA bid with an 8-10 record unless they go to the finals in the Big Ten tournament. They lose to Northwestern and they will be on the fence for an NIT bid.

I agree we absolutely have to have this one. Our guys know it and so does Tubby.

We'll get it. By at least 10 points.

Was security giving you guys an especially hard time tonight?

Well, there was an Ohio State fan, so we started going the usual a**-hole chant. The security guard proceeded to walk up to us and inform us that it was against Big Ten rules and could result in a technical foul for the team. He then told us that he'd kick out anyone who did the chant again. Just seemed a little strange since we've done the chant about a hundred times since I've been at the U and never had anyone else bring up an issue.

Since the 0-4 start, there have been quite a few "must wins" for the Gophers. ... some we've won, others we've lost. Saturday in Evanston certainly qualifies as one. Especially if Northwestern loses at IU tonight, it's likely to be a must win for the Wildcats, too. Both teams will be 5-8 and hanging on a thread.

I'm actually glad the game is not at The Barn. Most of our important/best wins under Tubby have come away from home. Saturday certainly qualifies an important game. Northwestern -- in the hunt for its first NCAA bid ever -- will be primed for this game. I hope the Gophers are, too. The Gophers unquestionably wll get the Wildcats' best punch. How will we handle it?

This is pretty much it. Lose this and Indy is likely the only route left.

howeda7 said:
This is pretty much it. Lose this and Indy is likely the only route left.

Lose this and it will be dangerously close to that. Lose this and you are 5-9, can still win out, get to 9-9 and make the tourney. That'd be making it ridiculously hard on them though. Winning Saturday would be a big help.

Well, there was an Ohio State fan, so we started going the usual a**-hole chant. The security guard proceeded to walk up to us and inform us that it was against Big Ten rules and could result in a technical foul for the team. He then told us that he'd kick out anyone who did the chant again. Just seemed a little strange since we've done the chant about a hundred times since I've been at the U and never had anyone else bring up an issue.

All do it together, let security kick out the entire student section.

We walloped N'Western at the barn. In betting terms this is a "payback" game, one that NW has probably been looking forward to since we clown stomped them. This will not be a walk in the park.

We walloped N'Western at the barn. In betting terms this is a "payback" game, one that NW has probably been looking forward to since we clown stomped them. This will not be a walk in the park.

I was thinking this too. At the Barn, NW shot horribly and really never got into any sort of rhythm (of course, credit should go to the Gophers for that). We could be looking at a much different game.

Yeah, I sit near all you young freaks and saw a couple of security guys yappin. First it was the guy that looks exactly like my auto-mechanic, and then the rotund black dude seemed to be walking up the steps and/or staring into the student section every other minute.

Probably just doing their job, I guess...

Craziest thing I saw last night.. and I'm still not sure exactly what I saw. After whatever that was for the halftime show, I went into the concourse and security and some paramedics are working on a guy that is laying on his side on a table. Then, I see blood.. a lot of it. Then the guy sits upright, and his face is all nasty and his shirt appears to be soaked in blood.. I was trying to figure out what the heck could have happened.. other than a fall down on the stairs... really strange.

Boys, this is your season right here. NW has a top 50 RPI rating and we beat them at home by 20. We need to shut down Shurna. If we don't win this game they have to do a home sweep just to get to 8-10. And I don't think 8-10 gets them to the tourney unless they make the semi's of the BTT. And it would still be a crap shoot depending on how the other mid-packs finish out. There is no other way you can slice it, dice it, chop it up, whatever.

Sorry, but 8-10 gets the NIT short of WINNING the auto B1G tourney bid. Conference flameouts and sub .500 records aren't tickets to the big dance. Plus you have to remember, even OPTIMISTIC projections have the Gophs in the first 4 out, before any conference upsets in small leagues add another mid-major or two to the mix.

Since the 0-4 start, there have been quite a few "must wins" for the Gophers. ... some we've won, others we've lost. Saturday in Evanston certainly qualifies as one. Especially if Northwestern loses at IU tonight, it's likely to be a must win for the Wildcats, too. Both teams will be 5-8 and hanging on a thread.

I'm actually glad the game is not at The Barn. Most of our important/best wins under Tubby have come away from home. Saturday certainly qualifies an important game. Northwestern -- in the hunt for its first NCAA bid ever -- will be primed for this game. I hope the Gophers are, too. The Gophers unquestionably wll get the Wildcats' best punch. How will we handle it?

I agree with this. If I've learned anything it's that Northwestern in Evanston is one of the biggest trap games in the entire conference. Anything and everything can happen during that game. The boys better be ready to bring it.

Top Bottom