Why do the Tubby haters refuse to acknowledge the injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Some like to pretend that he's been playing with a full deck each of the last two seasons. Some say it's making excuses and say "Players get injured all the time". They conveniently ignore the fact that Mbakwe is the best Gopher in (at least) the last 15 seasons. It's not like losing a bench player or your 5th starter. The injury to Nolen by itself would not have been such a big deal had Mr. 420 not decided he liked to toke more than he liked to play basketball and left the team with no viable PGs. They also conveniently ignore the fact that, in seasons with no major season-ending injuries, he is 3-for-3 in making the postseason. But then again, none of that fits into the vitriolic anti-Tubby agenda.

You're right. There are certainly no other examples of teams having major injuries or transfers. The Gophers are the most hard luck team ever. I bet that if any other team had significant injuries, they would fold and finish like Minnesota did a year ago. Except without Coach Smith, they would have finished 16-15. Tubby actually got another win last season to prevent his 16-4 team from falling to 16-15... 17-14 despite an injury and a transfer? I say give him a lifetime contract.

Further, if Minnesota ends the regular season this year by going 1-6, any discussion on the coach should start with proper perspective - there was an injury to a player and therefore it was a heckuva job by the coach to get that win.

I wish there were other examples of teams having such bad luck with personnel so we could see how they performed in the face of adversity. Sadly, only Coach Smith has had to deal with this type of thing.

Shame on classes for being too hard, damn the law for being too strict, curses to marijuana and most important - can this team get a break?! How is it that Minnesota is the only team that has injuries?!?!

PS - to all I have two extras to sell for a friend that has to change plans last minute - PM if interested. Sect 213, row 3, chairbacks. Face $35, make an offer and we can meet at the Barn shortly for the hand off. This team has a chance to play their way into the tournament - let's see if they can get it done. Luckily, I don't think the players are stuck in a rut, feeling sorry for themselves.

Some like to pretend that he's been playing with a full deck each of the last two seasons. Some say it's making excuses and say "Players get injured all the time". They conveniently ignore the fact that Mbakwe is the best Gopher in (at least) the last 15 seasons. It's not like losing a bench player or your 5th starter. The injury to Nolen by itself would not have been such a big deal had Mr. 420 not decided he liked to toke more than he liked to play basketball and left the team with no viable PGs. They also conveniently ignore the fact that, in seasons with no major season-ending injuries, he is 3-for-3 in making the postseason. But then again, none of that fits into the vitriolic anti-Tubby agenda.

It is making excuses, as was the case when Joel Przy left the team, Bauer and Bickerstaff were injured. You dont want to remember those injuries eh doll? And you dont want to do anything to acknowledge tubby has failed, thus far, in his job to make the Gophers relevant in college bb again.

Vitriolic? Stating facts is now vitriol.

Toughen up cupcake. And tell Tubby to as well.

DP, 90% of the people on this board are morons and have zero knowledge about basketball. That's why I have largely ignored them.

There's no reasoning with them, even though I would bet that Coach Smith will be with us for the considerable future.

Teams that fire coaches without a plan end up falling even further.

Part of it is because Trevor going down doesn't effect our lack of an outside scorer and lack of a true PG.

Gopher Warrior said:
You're right. There are certainly no other examples of teams having major injuries or transfers. The Gophers are the most hard luck team ever. I bet that if any other team had significant injuries, they would fold and finish like Minnesota did a year ago. Except without Coach Smith, they would have finished 16-15. Tubby actually got another win last season to prevent his 16-4 team from falling to 16-15... 17-14 despite an injury and a transfer? I say give him a lifetime contract.

Further, if Minnesota ends the regular season this year by going 1-6, any discussion on the coach should start with proper perspective - there was an injury to a player and therefore it was a heckuva job by the coach to get that win.

I wish there were other examples of teams having such bad luck with personnel so we could see how they performed in the face of adversity. Sadly, only Coach Smith has had to deal with this type of thing.

Shame on classes for being too hard, damn the law for being too strict, curses to marijuana and most important - can this team get a break?! How is it that Minnesota is the only team that has injuries?!?!

PS - to all I have two extras to sell for a friend that has to change plans last minute - PM if interested. Sect 213, row 3, chairbacks. Face $35, make an offer and we can meet at the Barn shortly for the hand off. This team has a chance to play their way into the tournament - let's see if they can get it done. Luckily, I don't think the players are stuck in a rut, feeling sorry for themselves.

I can't think of many teams who have lost their far and away best player recently, I know USC this year (god awful), and tOSU without turner or Sullinger this year (didn't go well) Georgetown (or maybe Pitt? Idk some big east team) was abysmal without their PG and now that he's back they may make the tourney.

I realize there are examples going the other way, I honestly just can't think of any right now.

I know it's not the same as an injury either, but Uconn without kemba hasn't been that great either.

Injuries don't effect the 4th grade girls traveling basketball substitution logic displayed by this staff.
When playing the 8 best players on this team it is actually a pretty solid team.

My feelings on this are pretty simple: In year five, Tubby should have this program in a position where losing your best player doesn't mean that the season is over.

Yes, injuries hurt, but Purdue didn't have this kind of drop off the past two seasons after Hummel blew up his knee.

I just think that Tubby should have this program in a spot where there is more depth and, simply, more good players. The Gophers didn't have enough good players when Trevor was healthy, they certainly don't have enough good players now and that's on Tubby.

Ever notice oto and Coleman play better with 3 starters than they do with 4 backups?

Sub 1-2 guys at a time

All this whining doesn't change the fact that until we get competitive facilities NOBODY worth a crap is going to take this job.

My feelings on this are pretty simple: In year five, Tubby should have this program in a position where losing your best player doesn't mean that the season is over.

Yes, injuries hurt, but Purdue didn't have this kind of drop off the past two seasons after Hummel blew up his knee.

I just think that Tubby should have this program in a spot where there is more depth and, simply, more good players. The Gophers didn't have enough good players when Trevor was healthy, they certainly don't have enough good players now and that's on Tubby.

Well, we would have more depth if a player didn't steal jeans from the mall of america and throw a hissy fit(amongst other things), if two players decided to follow team rules instead of smoke weed, and another hadn't decided to transfer back to his home state... but I guess we shouldn't have recruited those top talents in the first place, huh?

I guess we're supposed to get top talent players late in the recruiting process from some magical island.

I think it some of this. Losing Mbakwe would have been rough no matter what, but in year 5 it would have been nice if it took us from Sweet 16/Elite 8 material to a solid NCAA team instead of taking us from on the bubble to off the bubble. Then again, if we had Royce White, we could much more easily absorb the injury to Mbakwe.

Im sure there are a lot of average coaches in the nation that could go 6-12, 7-11 in the B10.

Because Iowa, Indiana( prior to crean), Michigan (prior to Beilein), and OSU (prior to Matta) had SO much success because of their average coaches.

Well, we would have more depth if a player didn't steal jeans from the mall of america and throw a hissy fit(amongst other things), if two players decided to follow team rules instead of smoke weed, and another hadn't decided to transfer back to his home state... but I guess we shouldn't have recruited those top talents in the first place, huh?

I guess we're supposed to get top talent players late in the recruiting process from some magical island.

Who was the other one besides Joseph?

Grier as a junior was WAY better than mbakwe as a junior. Humphries as a freshman and Rickert as a freshman were both similar, if not better, to Mbakwe as a junior.

Nolen as a senior was no better than AROB, Burleson or Boone in their senior years.

3 for 3 making the postseason is a horrible stat. There is no pride in making the NIT.

Not sure, Dpo. I'm sick of hearing people say that for some reason just because it is year five for Tubby, that injuries are no excuse. It's year eleven for Bo Ryan, and if he didn't have Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin (might) be a bubble team. I could go on and on listing even more prestigious programs than us that would find themselves on the bubble if they didn't have their best player.

DP, 90% of the people on this board are morons and have zero knowledge about basketball. That's why I have largely ignored them.

There's no reasoning with them, even though I would bet that Coach Smith will be with us for the considerable future.

Teams that fire coaches without a plan end up falling even further.

+1

Some like to pretend that he's been playing with a full deck each of the last two seasons. Some say it's making excuses and say "Players get injured all the time". They conveniently ignore the fact that Mbakwe is the best Gopher in (at least) the last 15 seasons. It's not like losing a bench player or your 5th starter. The injury to Nolen by itself would not have been such a big deal had Mr. 420 not decided he liked to toke more than he liked to play basketball and left the team with no viable PGs. They also conveniently ignore the fact that, in seasons with no major season-ending injuries, he is 3-for-3 in making the postseasoIin. But then again, none of that fits into the vitriolic anti-Tubby agenda.

I'm with you Dptroll!!! Purdue should have just hung it up after the Hummel injury last year!!

I'm with you Dptroll!!! Purdue should have just hung it up after the Hummel injury last year!!

That's exactly what he said. Thanks for showing your intelligence once again.

How about the same places other coaches find players that can win games but don't steel from the mall of America, transfer to their home state, and smoke weed?

You're obviously being sarcastic. Did the Hummel injury affect Purdue?

Well they did have JaJaun Johnson, E'tuan Moore and Lewis Jackson... How's Purdue now with him? An average bubble team.

Not sure, Dpo. I'm sick of hearing people say that for some reason just because it is year five for Tubby, that injuries are no excuse. It's year eleven for Bo Ryan, and if he didn't have Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin (might) be a bubble team. I could go on and on listing even more prestigious programs than us that would find themselves on the bubble if they didn't have their best player. +1

Did Ryan make the tournament the year that Leuer was hurt for a significant portion of the season?

Because Iowa, Indiana( prior to crean), Michigan (prior to Beilein), and OSU (prior to Matta) had SO much success because of their average coaches.

OSU was coached by Tom O'Brien before Matta, O'Brien had four 20 plus win seasons, two big ten regular season co-championships and the Big Ten championship. He didn't do it cleanly and was fired because of NCAA violations, but he did have success.

Indiana had Sampson before Crean and in his two seasons he was 43-15 with a trip to the NCAA second round, again he was dirty and fired because of it but he was successful.

Iowa, the Lickliter era was a failure but Alford was decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom