Shooter: U to hire Parker Executive Search for AD search

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

"-- Look for the University of Minnesota to hire the Parker Executive Search firm based in Atlanta, Ga., to assist in identifying candidates for its athletics director job. The university used the Parker firm in hiring football coach Jerry Kill in 2010.

Joel Maturi's AD contract expires in June. The university has received some local applications.

-- A prominent former Gophers football player who would seem qualified to succeed Maturi reiterated that he's not a candidate.

"I have a duty and I'm committed to the retired NFL players trying to help in the 'Dryer versus NFL' lawsuit that I started," Stein said.

The ongoing lawsuit centers on the NFL's right to use former players for publicity in NFL Films.

"I can't consider walking away from that," Stein, 64, said.

Stein, from St. Louis Park, was both an All-American defensive end and academic All-American at Minnesota. He also is a lawyer and played eight seasons in the NFL, including 1975 with the Vikings, before becoming CEO of the Minnesota Timberwolves."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_19954870

Go Gophers!!

Honest question: is it par-for-the-course for universities to hire search firms to help them with these types of things? As I recall, we hired some help for the football coach search as well.

I'm just wondering if that's normal, or if we just do it because our athletic department is (for lack of a better word) incompetent.

Honest question: is it par-for-the-course for universities to hire search firms to help them with these types of things? As I recall, we hired some help for the football coach search as well.

I'm just wondering if that's normal, or if we just do it because our athletic department is (for lack of a better word) incompetent.
I don't think a school like OSU would hire a search firm because they can get almost any candidate they want.

Normal. Business searches often do this for big time positions. In business they are referred to as "headhunters".

Normal. Business searches often do this for big time positions. In business they are referred to as "headhunters".

Thanks, guys. That would make sense. If these search firms exist in the first place, there must be demand for them.

Keeps "potential" candidates from being exposed as "looking" beyond their present employment. Typical.

I don't think a school like OSU would hire a search firm because they can get almost any candidate they want.

Actually, OSU used this firm in 2005 to lead them to their current AD Gene Smith.

Top Bottom