pp; Four more wins could get Gophers in NCAA field (link)

And I could lose 40 lbs, grow my hair back and score with Katy Perry....

Upset Ohio State tommorow and I'll jump back on the bandwagon. 3 of the remaining 5 might just be doable, lose and 4 of the remaining 5 would require a miracle.

Amazing to think that the results of the next month or so's games could land Tubby in a position to win conference coach of the year, or squarely on the hot seat in the eyes of some (most?) people. College basketball strikes again! Go Gophers!

But Palm said, "If Tubby gets that team into the NCAA tournament, he should get conference coach of the year."
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_19945679

I certainly agree that 4 more wins could do it.
But where do those 4 wins come from ? That's the problem

Ohio St. at The Barn - Most likely a loss
At Northwestern - While the Gophers could win they could just as easily lose this one - Toss up
Mich St. at The Barn - Most likely a loss
Indiana at The Barn - The Gophers could win this but Indiana will want revenge and will be very tough - Toss up
At Wisconsin - If they can beat the Gophers in The Barn no reason to think they won't at home - Most likely a loss
Nebraska at The Barn - Win for Minn.

The key games are Northwestern and Indiana. That's where it could swing.
Lose at Northwestern and I think its all but over.

I think they go 3 and 3 at the very best, but 2 and 4 is also very possible.
Either scenario leaves The Gophers with a losing record in the Big Ten

Not really sure how the Selection would view a losing record in conference when deciding who to put in.
The bad thing about being in this situation is it puts your fate so much in the hands of how other teams do.

The reality is that anything is possible.
Doing well in the Big Ten Tourn. may end up being the key that unlocks the door to The Dance.

Happens to some team every year. No reason it can't be The Gophers. Play smart and hard and hope for the best.

I think Andre Hollinsis key (OS game links below)

pp; Gophers' Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman might start against Ohio State (link)

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19954204

Ohio State link below
“Ohio State VS. Minnesota
Ohio State owns a 78-55 advantage in games played in the Minnesota series and is 29-37 in Minneapolis. When Ohio State is ranked in the Associated Press poll, the Buckeyes are 24-3 vs. the Golden Gophers. Ohio State has won 11 of the last 12 and each of the last four games when ranked vs. Minnesota. Overall, Ohio State has won five of the last six games and four consecutive meetings vs. Minnesota. William Buford averages 13.9 points in seven career meetings vs. Minnesota. Jared Sullinger scored 33 points (16.5 ppg.) and grabbed 25 rebounds (12.5 rpg.) in two games last year in the Minnesota series.”

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021312aaa.html

Minnesota (17-8, 5-7) vs. Ohio State (20-4, 9-3)
Tickets Purchase Online

Date Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Time 8 p.m. CT
Location Williams Arena (14,625)
Series Record Ohio State leads 49-80
Last Meeting L, 82-69 (Feb. 6, 2011)
Television ESPN (Mike Tirico, Dan Dakich, Samantha Steele)
Radio Learfield/1500 ESPN (Listen Online)

(Mike Grimm, Spencer Tollackson)
Live Stats Click Here

Game Notes Minnesota | Ohio State

Season Statistics Minnesota | Ohio State

Social Media Facebook | @MNGopherHoops | @CoachTubbySmith

SERIES INFORMATION
Series: 130th meeting (49-80)
Series (Home): 64th meeting (33-30)
Current Streak: L-4
Last Meeting: Feb. 6, 2011 (L, 69-82)
Tubby Smith vs. Ohio State: 10th meeting (3-6)
Minnesota vs. Current Big Ten: 707-744
Tubby Smith vs. Current Big Ten: 58-59

Game Day Tid-Bits:
• Ohio State comes into the game as the #6 ranked team in the country. Minnesota is 1-1 this season against top 10 teams.
• The Gophers are 49-80 in the all-time series against Ohio State but are 33-30 all-time in Minneapolis. Prior to last season’s loss at Williams Arena, Minnesota had defeated OSU three-straight times at The Barn.
• The Gophers & Buckeyes will only play once this season. Minnesota will not make a trip to Columbus.
• Minnesota only has five active players on its roster that have logged minutes against Ohio State. Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin & Austin Hollins have each played two games against the Buckeyes while Rodney Williams has appeared in five. Ralph Sampson III has played seven career games against Ohio State & holds averages of 6.7 points & 3.9 rebounds in those games.
• Gopher freshman Andre Hollins exploded for a career-high 20 points and six rebounds in the overtime loss to Wisconsin. He finished the game 5-of-6 from three-point land, the first Gopher player this season to make at least five treys.
• Minnesota has led the Big Ten Conference in blocked shots during the last three seasons, including three of the top four season block totals in the history of the Gopher program: a program leading 201 in 2008-09, 199 in 2009-10 and 169 last season. Senior Ralph Sampson III led the team in blocked shots last season and is currently third all-time in program history with 193 career swats. Minnesota has blocked 133 shots this season for an average of 5.3 per game, tops in Big Ten, led by Rodney Williams with 39. Williams is third in the conference with an average of 1.6 bpg. Sampson III is seventh at 1.2 bpg with 27 swats on the season.

Gophers Bench Making an Impact:
• Tubby Smith has always utilized his entire roster. This year is no exception.
• Minnesota’s second group of Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin, Elliott Eliason, Andre Hollins & Oto Osenieks are all averaging at least 10 minutes of court time.
• Minnesota’s bench has outscored the opponent’s bench 119-29 in the last four games.
• Freshman Andre Hollins scored a career-high 20 points off the bench against Wisconsin.
• The Gophers’ bench outscored Nebraska 40-7, led by Armelin’s career-high 15 points.
• Minnesota defeated Illinois ate Williams Arena on Jan. 28 behind 39 points from the bench, again led by Armelin who contributed 14 points and a career-high seven rebounds.
• The Gophers are 14-4 this season and 79-39 under Smith when the bench outscores the oppositions’s bench.

Smith Seeking 100th Win at Minnesota:
• With 20 wins during the 2011-12 season Golden Gopher head coach Tubby Smith could join a short list of coaches to reach the 100-win plateau at the University of Minnesota.
• Smith began the season with a Gopher record of 80-53 and currently stands at 97-61.
• Smith’s 80 wins at Minnesota to start the 2011-12 season are the most by a coach in his first four seasons on the bench in Gold Country.
• Smith’s winning percentage of .614 is the fourth highest in the history of the program.

Minnesota Coaches with 100 Wins
L.J. Cooke 250-135 (28 seasons)
Clem Haskins* 240-165 (13 seasons)
Dave McMillan 196-156 (18 seasons)
Jim Dutcher 190-113 (11 seasons)
O.B. Cowles 147-93 (11 seasons)
Dan Monson 118-106 (7 seasons)
John Kundla 110-105 (9 seasons)
*includes vacated games

Minnesota Coaches Winning Percentage
Bill Musselman .683: 69-32 (4 seasons)
L.J. Cooke .649: 250-135 (28 seasons)
Jim Dutcher .627: 190-113 (11 seasons)
Tubby Smith
.614: 97-61 (5 seasons)

Tubby Smith Trends:
In four-plus seasons under Tubby Smith, Minnesota has followed some pretty significant winning trends:
• 87-9 when leading with 5:00 remaining
• 79-40 when bench outscores opponents bench
• 80-11 when leading at the half
• 57-15 with fewer turnovers than opponent
• 64-6 when scoring 70 points or more
• 65-20 at Williams arena
• 70-23 when outrebounding its opponent
• 69-15 when attempting more free throws than its opponent

Home Sweet Home:
• The Gophers have a record of 65-20 (.765) at Williams arena under head coach Tubby Smith in his four-plus seasons at Minnesota.
• The Gophers went a perfect 10-0 during the non-conference schedule at Williams Arena. Under Smith, Minnesota is 41-1 in regular season non-conference games at “The Barn”.
• Minnesota is allowing just 60.7 points per game at Williams arena under Smith (85 games). Under Smith, opponents have only reached 70 points 19 times in the 85 games at The Barn (22% of the time).
• So far this season the Gophers are giving up the least amount of points at Williams Arena in the Smith era at 58.3 points per game, eight fewer points allowed per game than a season ago.
• The previous best came during the 2008-09 campaign when Minnesota’s opponents averaged 58.4 ppg.
Season Points (Games) Average
2011-12 874 (15) 58.3
2010-11 1132 (17 66.6
2009-10 997 (17) 58.6
2008-09 1110 (19) 58.4
2007-08 1057 (17) 62.1

Sampson III & the Gopher Record Books:
Trevor Mbakwe had been the talk of the Gophers entering the season but the other senior co-captain, Ralph Sampson III, will more than likely finish his Minnesota career as one of the best big men in program history.

He has a chance to become just the fifth player to finish his Gopher career with 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 150 blocks (Kevin McHale, Randy Breuer, Mychal Thompson and Michael Bauer).

Sampson III Career Numbers
• 119 career games played (108 starts) - tied for 12th All-Time
• 976 career points (8.2 average)
• 605 career rebounds (5.1 average)
• 193 career blocks (1.6 average) - third-most in Gopher History

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021312aaa.html

Whose going to guard Sullinger? Same issue as we had with Draymond Green. We don't match up well with either MSU or OSU.

Whose going to guard Sullinger? Same issue as we had with Draymond Green. We don't match up well with either MSU or OSU.
Yeah, tough match up. Tough for any team. On another note, Ralph sure is in some fast company with his career accomplishments. Kudos to Ralph.

Some tweets from on the OSU game tomorrow. Thought I'd just post here

“@GophersNow: Tubby's game plan to get in Jared Sullinger's head he joked will be to put Trevor Mbakwe masks on Sampson and Willliams.”

“@GophersNow: Coleman says he isn't expecting to start against the Buckeyes. He's wearing a gold jersey in practice.”

“@GophersNow: Hollins said he thinks he's starting because he's wearing the maroon jersey in practice today.”

“@GophersNow: Sampson's dad an Flip Saunders at practice today. Must be a big game tomw vs. Ohio St.”

“@TMbakwe32: Watching the boys practice I can tell they're ready for tomorrow night.”

Some tweets from on the OSU game tomorrow. Thought I'd just post here

“@GophersNow: Tubby's game plan to get in Jared Sullinger's head he joked will be to put Trevor Mbakwe masks on Sampson and Willliams.”

“@GophersNow: Coleman says he isn't expecting to start against the Buckeyes. He's wearing a gold jersey in practice.”

“@GophersNow: Hollins said he thinks he's starting because he's wearing the maroon jersey in practice today.”

“@GophersNow: Sampson's dad an Flip Saunders at practice today. Must be a big game tomw vs. Ohio St.”

“@TMbakwe32: Watching the boys practice I can tell they're ready for tomorrow night.”

I enjoy/agree with all of the above tweets. That first one about Mbawke masks is hilarious.

Upset Ohio State tommorow and I'll jump back on the bandwagon. 3 of the remaining 5 might just be doable, lose and 4 of the remaining 5 would require a miracle.
I'm not off the bandwagon, but I do agree it is a lot easier to see three more wins than four.

I wonder if we win three and then win a couple in the B1G tourney if that might get us in as well.

Top Bottom