Souhan: If we want a Big Ten AD, let's search, woo and pay

We should hire an AD who successfully ran a major college athletic department in a pro-dominated market.

It's sad that an article with such an obvious premise needs to be written, but that is the case here. I get the feeling we will go the exact opposite way Souhan suggests- someone with local ties who fits the dreaded phrase "understands Minnesota".

I would feel so much better if the Gophers hire someone who has no ties to Minnesota, doesn't "understand it", and comes in with his own set of expectations and goals for the athletic department. I would prefer if this guy came from Florida or Texas or some other power school, but I'd settle for a CEO type who isn't afraid to ruffle some feathers and is capable of hiring an associate A.D. with experience at a large market University.

Well, Kaler already said he's hiring a search firm and he doesn't care about the Minnesota connection.

This article did not need to be written. Souhan brings nothing to the table in terms of insight. I guess he has stylistic ability.

I don't know how much he makes but the strib could probably find a blogger who could do just as good of a job for less.

It's sad that an article with such an obvious premise needs to be written, but that is the case here. I get the feeling we will go the exact opposite way Souhan suggests- someone with local ties who fits the dreaded phrase "understands Minnesota".

I would feel so much better if the Gophers hire someone who has no ties to Minnesota, doesn't "understand it", and comes in with his own set of expectations and goals for the athletic department. I would prefer if this guy came from Florida or Texas or some other power school, but I'd settle for a CEO type who isn't afraid to ruffle some feathers and is capable of hiring an associate A.D. with experience at a large market University.

This is my fear as well. The school has been bumbling around with leadership in this department for generations now. The priority has always been on going provincial and keeping the price-tag cheap. That's been the definition of "understanding Minnesota" that has been trotted out consistently by the administrative folks. Given past history, I have my doubts they'll hire someone with actual ambitions for the entire department.

Top Bottom