Would appreciate opinions.

Reaction score
Getting the Bucko's on Tuesday night, and after seeing them play a few times, I wonder how we would do going "Big" on Sullinger? There is no way Ralph can handle him alone even with off-side help. What if we front and back him with Ralph and EE and make Ohio State beat us from the perimeter? We lose offense with EE, but we would be stronger on the boards. We start Dre instead of Welch to go along with Austin and Rodney. On offense with that combo we would run a high/low post with Ralph on top. Yea or nay??

Sampson, Ingram, Williams, Hollins, Welch

Eliason, Osenieks, Coleman, Armelin, Hollins

With the guards interchanging based on who is playing well. It won't happen but Ingram is the only player that has a chance defending Sullinger and even that is a stretch.

Ask goober(whathavewedone). He will have all solutions.

I think you stick with the same line up. Maybe Dre for Coleman though.

Craft is going to harass who ever brings the ball up, so gotta have Welch to do that.

The hollins' may be quick enough to do some damage.

Rodney is hopefully quicker and Ralph you pray his height (that whole 3 inches) bothers Sullinger.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Sullinger said himsef that Iverson was the toughest defender he went up against last year, and I think we can all agree that Eliason is more like Iverson than any other player on our team. Why not put Eliason on him? If he struggles we can go back to doubling down on the post for a game. Ralph might have a season-ending inury if we put him on Sullinger, so EE needs to get a lot of playing time.

Yep, I'd go with Elliot as much as possible. Will probably foul out but I've stopped wishing Ralph would be what he's obviously not--an inside presence. As for the folks who were happy Colt left, I think you'd want him playing against Ohio State and Michigan State instead of Ingram.

Put EE in whenever Sullinger is in. We know he can play 30+ minutes from the VT game. Tell him to play smart, and in particular don't go for the block. Make every shot Sullinger takes the hardest shot he has had to take in a game. Just like EE did when he was guarding Zeller, just Sullinger is better.

I'm afraid the only way we stop Sullinger is with Freddy Flubug (especially after Sat.'s loss). Buford (in his eighth year at osu) is likely to have a big game as well.

I don't think we can focus on stopping Sullinger. Also, I don't think we should worry about it..he will get his. We need to score points to win this game..a lot of them. I think we need to limit everyone but Sullinger to be honest. Just make Sullinger sweat and work hard like has already been mentioned.

Sampson, Ingram, Williams, Hollins, Welch

Eliason, Osenieks, Coleman, Armelin, Hollins

With the guards interchanging based on who is playing well. It won't happen but Ingram is the only player that has a chance defending Sullinger and even that is a stretch.

I'd have Armelin and Coleman in different lineups. Just my opinion.

My starting lineup would be: Eliason Sampson Rodney Armelin/Coleman Welch

If our Gophers have an open 3, take it. Don't pass it up and end up with a contested 2 with 2 seconds left on shot clock. Live and die by the 3.

OSU isn't that big. They go 6'9'', 6'8'', 6'6'', 6'2'', and 6'4'' and the 6'8'' thinks he is a guard and shoots bad 3s all day.

I can't see why we would add a 7 footer to guard a 6'8'' wanna be guard. In fact, it would be a horrible idea.

ulmer We would only start another big because the one Tubby will start can`t or won`t do the job. Beyond that all the proposed lineups have merit but we all know Tubby is`nt going to alter anything. I`m not sure I want my coach to pay any attention to the banter anyway. When the ship starts going down I don`t want anyone pointing my way with, I thought you had the helm.

I'd play a lot of 2-3 zone and squeeze the middle to:
1) Help better defend their inside game.
2) Cut down on dribble penetration into the lane.

Ohio St. makes the least amount of 3's in the BT. Their 3-point shooting percentage is towards the bottom as well.

I agree with the need to switch up and play some 2-3 zone. If they work as hard as they did in the second half of the Wisconsin game but do it in a zone they could give the Buckeyes problems. Mix it up though with some man and some half court pressure. Ohio State has been very inconsistent from the outside this year and the key would be something we did poorly last week and that is eliminating second shots. A chance for the upset if we can keep them off the offensive boards. Two players that have done a good job for their size has been Dre Hollins and Coleman, but will need a team effort.

I'm more worried about how Craft could completely stifle our offense with his pressure out front. Sullinger will get his, so we'll need our guards to be able to initiate some offense.

Top Bottom