Recruiting puzzling?

Blackhammer

Reaction score
So we have Ellenson a six-five swing player that is an average shooter whan it seems we need shooters who can handle the ball.Buggs seems OK but we really could use another big.We have plenty of poor shooting swingmen.
Then you look at future recruiting next year.We offer a project from Milwuakee in Downey who has one offer besides us from UW Green Bay.I have given up on this staffs ability to recruit.Can you say Andre Ingram or Maverik?With Chip they never saw him play in person before they signed him.You can't operate that way.
Get Tim Miles in here.I was not a fan of his but have changed my mind and feel he would be an upgrade over Tubby.

Um, it's been well documented that Tubby is a second-rate recruiter. Apparently he doesn't believe this team needs a sharp-shooter. I, for one, completely disagree -- this team NEEDS someone who can stretch the defense. His recruiting right away was sizzling. The players he inked have proven to be big-time Division I contributors in Royce White, Devoe Joseph, Trevor Mbakwe and Justin Cobbs. Since then, it's been suspect, at best. I have never been so disappointed in the direction of the program. As you said, next season's recruiting class is near the bottom of the league. Buggs and Ellenson? It's like, hello!

Um, it's been well documented that Tubby is a second-rate recruiter. Apparently he doesn't believe this team needs a sharp-shooter. I, for one, completely disagree -- this team NEEDS someone who can stretch the defense. His recruiting right away was sizzling. The players he inked have proven to be big-time Division I contributors in Royce White, Devoe Joseph, Trevor Mbakwe and Justin Cobbs. Since then, it's been suspect, at best. I have never been so disappointed in the direction of the program. As you said, next season's recruiting class is near the bottom of the league. Buggs and Ellenson? It's like, hello!

Andre Hollins looks to me like he is going to be a diamond in the rough, he wasn't that highly rated when he commited, I am hoping Buggs will be the same. Ellenson is more of a role player, basic ability wise I think he will be fine, it's the position I am a little confused about. Maybe the assumption is that Ellenson will be a 3 and Buggs a 4, then it makes sense.

Somewhere they need to land another Big man and a PG. 2013 is a long way away, right now it doesn't sound very good, if this season ends up tanking and another 6-12 season then recruiting under Tubby might be tapering big time. Players want to go somewhere they will be successfull. Vaughn has stated that is his highest priority in one of his interviews, the Gophers become a tougher sell in that situation.

Love how everyone rips on Tubby for his recruiting when his recruits are more highly touted than Kill's. I like both the football and basketball recruiting classes.

It's just important that we don't get the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. Meaning after we miss out on a bunch of guys, we give a late offer to some guy we've barely seen play and isn't highly touted. The people that fit under that category on our team our: Ingram, Chip, and Mav. All guys that we didn't offer right away. We lucked out on Chip; we had never seen him play in person before. I think Mav will continue to develop. Ingram is a question mark, but I'm rooting for him.

Buggs and Ellenson don't fit under the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. Our staff offered both fairly early in the recruiting process, so they obviously like both.

I am not so sure why everyone is so down on Ellenson. If you have ever seen him in person, the kid actually has a pretty decent shot. Also, after Rodney, this kid will be the best athlete on the team. He has some serious leaping ability. I have full confidence that he will be an excellent player for tubby. He will do exactly what he is asked to do, play good defense, runs the floor really well, hustles, can take it to the rim like Coleman yet can shoot pretty well from the outside if left open, etc.

Andre hollins was the highest rated out of state highschool player signed by tubby here

Love how everyone rips on Tubby for his recruiting when his recruits are more highly touted than Kill's. I like both the football and basketball recruiting classes.
This is your argument? You want to compare basketball and football at the U? Here is the difference. If you signed every Minnesota kid in football and had to play with MN's only, you would be last in the Big Ten. In basketball, you would have a starting lineup up, Wolters, Mbakwe, Lockett, Royce, and Rodney. This lineup could contend in the Big Ten. MN is a basketball school much more than a football school. Just like most metro universities.

Well documented lol! Doesn't believe we need a sharp shooter lmao!! Never been so disappointed in the direction of the program roflmao!!!

This is your argument? You want to compare basketball and football at the U? Here is the difference. If you signed every Minnesota kid in football and had to play with MN's only, you would be last in the Big Ten. In basketball, you would have a starting lineup up, Wolters, Mbakwe, Lockett, Royce, and Rodney. This lineup could contend in the Big Ten. MN is a basketball school much more than a football school. Just like most metro universities.
Our basketball program is now on the same level as our footballs?I agree,I hope we haven't fallen that much in basketball.Losing to Iowa twice maybe were getting to that point.Of course Doggie doesn't count Iowa .Which makes it even more alarming.lol

Well documented lol! Doesn't believe we need a sharp shooter lmao!! Never been so disappointed in the direction of the program roflmao!!!

No, Tubby doesn't believe this program needs a sharp-shooter. If he did, he would have signed one already.

BigGopherFan said:
No, Tubby doesn't believe this program needs a sharp-shooter. If he did, he would have signed one already.

Gophers have a few guys shooting well from 3. What is a sharp shooter to you?

Welch is shooting 45% and Andre at 42%. Blake's career average was 41%.

Lol. I would consider guys like Blake Hoffarber and Jon Deibler sharp-shooter. There is no one on this current team that would be considered a pure shooter who the defense needs to respect 100% of the time. Yes, there may be a few players that have decent percentages from 3, but they don't demand respect from the opposition.

I would like some players who can create shots.In ot against Wisconsin we didn't get a decent shot.Maybe Dre could be one guy.Welch just isn't quick enough.One thing we have is a bunch of poor ball handlers.Get a number of point guard types instead of all these old school wings who can't dribble or shoot.

I agree with you. I'm not arguing with the fact that we're more of a basketball than football school. I just think that Ellenson and Buggs are decent recruits.

Hoffarber couldn't tie his shoes on the court without someone being an inch or two from his face, he commanded a whole different defensive scheme, but 45% and 42% are pretty good.

jovs said:
Hoffarber couldn't tie his shoes on the court without someone being an inch or two from his face, he commanded a whole different defensive scheme, but 45% and 42% are pretty good.

The defender was also that close because they never had to worry about him beating them off of the dribble.

People are acting like Hoffarber and Diebler type players are easy to find. It's not like we haven't offered "sharp shooter" types either.

Very true, but not as a freshman. Dre's best days are still ahead. Ellenson may grow into that role. Buggs has a very good mid-range jumper. Am I being old-fashioned in suggesting we wait until they take the floor before condemning our new recruits? If I can spot our sophomore to be group needs a Hoffarber type, to compliment a very strong class, I'm quessing Tubby isn't that far behind. Matt Thomas??

GophersInIowa said:
People are acting like Hoffarber and Diebler type players are easy to find. It's not like we haven't offered "sharp shooter" types either.

Correct as well.

But I don't always understand the fascination with guys who's only skill is shooting, granted shooting really really well. But I'd take a solid shooter with a mid range, post, and driving game over someone who can only shoot. The well rounded player is the hardest to defend.

howieramone said:
Very true, but not as a freshman. Dre's best days are still ahead. Ellenson may grow into that role. Buggs has a very good mid-range jumper. Am I being old-fashioned in suggesting we wait until they take the floor before condemning our new recruits? If I can spot our sophomore to be group needs a Hoffarber type, to compliment a very strong class, I'm quessing Tubby isn't that far behind.

He really seems to want Matt Thomas. I'm not too confident he lands him though, but it'd be nice. It is always good to have that guy on your team and Thomas seems like he has other aspects to his game as well.

"pure shooters" can only shoot, and if Tubby signed on everyone would be complaining about how all he can do is shoot against mid-majors an "unathletic" teams, kinda like how people ragged on hoffarber is whole career.

I think Tubby's recruiting has been OK. Not outstanding, but not bad at all.

He just needs to find a way to keep his top recruits healthy and / or happy enough to where they won't leave early.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. And we have a winner folks. You cut right to the crux there. Sharp shooter types have been offered, slasher types have been offered, power big men have been offered, disrtibuting guards have been offered. Etc., etc.,
etc. Offered, but not signed.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. And we have a winner folks. You cut right to the crux there. Sharp shooter types have been offered, slasher types have been offered, power big men have been offered, disrtibuting guards have been offered. Etc., etc.,
etc. Offered, but not signed.

No, they were signed.

shooters are too easy to guard if that's all they can do. Yeah they are nice to have but they can't play 25+ minutes a game. Cameron Mills at Kentucky was one of the best shooters on the planet. He didn't play much though because he couldn't guard anyone and you'd have to make the rest of your team work really hard to get him shots, it's not something you can afford to do a lot. But when Duke had a lead on UK in the Elite 8, Tubby put him in the game and ran some plays for him and gained some momentum. It led to a national title.

As for Tubby's recruiting at Minnesota. I think it's been better than you've ever had. He's had some bad luck but he's had little trouble getting Big 10 caliber players to come there. I think most of you would at least have to acknowledge that. Right now you have 6 top 150 players on your roster. Dre Hollins, Coleman, Williams, Sampson, Mbakwe and Big Mo. Austin was very close to being one of those as well. If luck had worked out it would be 8 with Devoe and Royce. It's bad luck Trevor and Mo are injured but if those 2 were healthy you'd be very very difficult to beat. When was the last time Minnesota had 6 top 150 players on it's roster?.. I'll tell you when... NEVER!!

The arrow is pointing up IMO, just give it some time. If they make the NCAA this year you have to tip your hat to Tubby no less say it's nearly a miracle. So let's wait a month before we pass judgement?

Julian Welch is 5th in the Big Ten in 3 point % but the gophers have no shooters.

Correct as well.

But I don't always understand the fascination with guys who's only skill is shooting, granted shooting really really well. But I'd take a solid shooter with a mid range, post, and driving game over someone who can only shoot. The well rounded player is the hardest to defend.

Agreed. I would take the Ellenson type any day of the week. My point is our sophomore to be class is very talented and balanced. We have 2 monsters and 2 potential go to scorers. I envision Joe taking the ball to the basket hell bent for leather, running into traffic and passing out to a spot shooter for the easy three. I think there is going to be alot of dancing in the future.

Top Bottom