Been a Gopher.....

ColoradoGopher

Reaction score
all my life! 59 years worth of unwavering patronage. I come to this website regularly but don't post much. But all this "doomsday talk" and "seasons over" bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# has really gotten ire!! The guy's played their hearts out! Tubby coached well! The Barn was as loud! They lost. A game they battled back from a double digit lead! Tied it up! Overtime! They lost! Why not give them a huge pat on the back! Encourage them to take something away from their efforts and bring it to the next game! Instead.....many of you shouldn't call yourselves Gopher fan's! Simple as that!

GoGophers

This game hurts and is going to take a while for me to get over it, but the season isn't over. Just gotta beat Wisconsin at their place now. We've done it before and they haven't been nearly as 'unbeatable' at the Kohl Center this year compared to years past. On to the next one.

all my life! 59 years worth of unwavering patronage. I come to this website regularly but don't post much. But all this "doomsday talk" and "seasons over" bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# has really gotten ire!! The guy's played their hearts out! Tubby coached well! The Barn was as loud! They lost. A game they battled back from a double digit lead! Tied it up! Overtime! They lost! Why not give them a huge pat on the back! Encourage them to take something away from their efforts and bring it to the next game! Instead.....many of you shouldn't call yourselves Gopher fan's! Simple as that!

GoGophers

Seriously? Calling out fans that want a better team, not a 9th place team? Everyone wants Tubby to succeed. Everyone wants the Gophers to win as much as you. Some just say "way to go boys" and "way to go coach" regardless of the results. Is this wrong?

Definitely hurt, especially this late in the season and where we're at (on the bubble), but strangely I felt a lot worse after the Iowa-Purdue debacle that put us at 0-4 than I did after last night.

After Iowa-Purdue, I'll be honest, I saw little to no hope for salvaging the season. Now, I'm still holding out some hope. For better or worse -- upper-, middle- or lower-tier opponent -- 8 of the Gophers' 12 conference games have been competitive affairs, pretty much n*t-crunchers all the way. I expect that trend to continue in the final 6 games even with our difficult schedule. It's a familiar refrain from last year, but the answer is the same. ... "finish". We have to find a way to finish games more often than our opponents do.

Moral victories still go in the L column

The question is, can we go 4-2 in the remaining games? This is what it really boils down too. The shot to the gut to me was losing to Iowa twice. That really put us in Harms way.

You know, the world is full of negative people. Okay, so the Gophers aren't having that great a season, but that's no reason to boo and say bad things about them. You know, I don't know where I heard it, but I thought you were supposed to root, root, root for the home team. So the next time you're in Williams, if you can't yell something nice, don't yell anything at all. This has been just one guy's opinion.

You know, the world is full of negative people. Okay, so the Gophers aren't having that great a season, but that's no reason to boo and say bad things about them. You know, I don't know where I heard it, but I thought you were supposed to root, root, root for the home team. So the next time you're in Williams, if you can't yell something nice, don't yell anything at all. This has been just one guy's opinion.

maybe that is why it is so quiet in the Barn? too much Mn nice for anyone to say anything bad

Not saying we can't complain or be critical. I was pissed like everyone else when they came out "flat" in overtime. But support is needed for the team and coach. I don't give up until the season is over!

This is the way I'm looking at things:

We likely need four more wins. There are four reasonably winnable games left on our regular season schedule: @ NW, @ WI, vs. IU, and vs. NE. Obviously, the other two games (vs. OSU, vs. MSU) are very daunting, but in my opinion, if we can't at least COMPETE with those two, we probably don't deserve to make the tournament anyways. They play the games for a reason.

Unless we go 3-3 or better over this final stretch, we're going to need to win the B1G tourney. If we go 3-3, 1 or 2 wins in the B1G tourney would be a nice boost to help our chances. 4-2 gets us in.

Overall, we're on the outside looking in (and those four victories are going to be tough to come by), but the season is far from over. Onward.

It's easy to go with the trend, ie: the ship is sinking or what a great week of basketball they just played. As usual reality is somewhere in between. Let's respect both opinions with a dash of somewhere in between. My positives are seeing a more confident Dre Hollins, a second half of the best half court defense I've seen this year( they were absolutely spent going into overtime when they couldn't pull out the winning shot) and them as a group just not giving up. My frustrations were their offensive rebounding/our poor defensive rebounding, our first half defense and not getting the ball inside more and not getting to the line more often. Credit the players and coaches for both and look for continued improvement!

Die Hard GGF said:
It's easy to go with the trend, ie: the ship is sinking or what a great week of basketball they just played. As usual reality is somewhere in between. Let's respect both opinions with a dash of somewhere in between. My positives are seeing a more confident Dre Hollins, a second half of the best half court defense I've seen this year( they were absolutely spent going into overtime when they couldn't pull out the winning shot) and them as a group just not giving up. My frustrations were their offensive rebounding/our poor defensive rebounding, our first half defense and not getting the ball inside more and not getting to the line more often. Credit the players and coaches for both and look for continued improvement!

Agreed. Excellent post.

GoGophers

I don't see anyone taking away from the players' effort. That's not a problem that I see.

I don't see anyone taking away from the players' effort. That's not a problem that I see.
Some people were saying that they weren't into the game, and I see that as saying they aren't putting in 100% effort.

Not saying we can't complain or be critical. I was pissed like everyone else when they came out "flat" in overtime. But support is needed for the team and coach. I don't give up until the season is over!

I like you. You should stick around here.

I seriously see no point in the "sky is falling" type attitude. I'll be the first one to celebrate a win, and be dissapointed in a loss; but I see absolutely no point in coming on a site like this and screaming "MY LIFE IS OVER!" after we came back on a Top 25 team and were a shot away from beating them. Most of us knew that we wouldn't be an incredibly strong team this season, especially after Trevor went down.

Though on the other hand, it's the exact same situation when posters here go on about a specific player after he had a big game. Andre has struggled a bit this year, but last night he played pretty well. The press he gets from posters on this website has significantly changed since last night. I wonder how long it will last. The same happens when Chip has a good game, or a bad one. Seriously, I can't believe how quickly the moods of many GHers swing.

I believe as you do, but they are still fans. When we were growing up Gopher Sports were discussed face to face, usually with a tight, long-term group, often friends and family. We were respectfully referred to as the Gopher faithful. With anonymous boards that has changed for better or for worse. They may not have as strong of arms as you and I, or hold the flag as high and straight as we do, but when you and I are off to Valhalla, the flag will still be held high.

Seriously? Calling out fans that want a better team, not a 9th place team? Everyone wants Tubby to succeed. Everyone wants the Gophers to win as much as you. Some just say "way to go boys" and "way to go coach" regardless of the results. Is this wrong?

That's a very good point. Anyone who points out that the current coach isn't taking the program in the right direction gets savaged wit that kind of stuff. "I'm a diehard Gopher fan no matter what"
"we've never been a top national program" "blah, blah, blah"

Does it just not occur to people that you can be a "die hard" fan, always pull for the team, recognize that this has "never been a nationally elite program", yet STILL WISH for it to move in that direction?
Still want to try to find a coach that will MAKE it competitive for the B1G? Coaches tend to be the identity of their programs. But they are not the program itself. Criticizing an underperforming coach is NOT being disloyal to the team. Wanting better for the program isn't disowning the past.

I like you. You should stick around here.

I seriously see no point in the "sky is falling" type attitude.

That right there kind of explains the chasm existing here between the die-hard Tubby supporters and the critics. The diehards think the critics see the program falling apart. Being torn down. Whereas
critics see the program as being stuck in place, not improving and NOT building toward the competitiveness that was the aspiration behind this supposedly "big time" hire. When you go out
and sway a "big name" coach to come here, and throw money at him, why is it so unreasonable
to expect "big time" results? Especially after 5 years?

That's a very good point. Anyone who points out that the current coach isn't taking the program in the right direction gets savaged wit that kind of stuff. "I'm a diehard Gopher fan no matter what"
"we've never been a top national program" "blah, blah, blah"

Does it just not occur to people that you can be a "die hard" fan, always pull for the team, recognize that this has "never been a nationally elite program", yet STILL WISH for it to move in that direction?
Still want to try to find a coach that will MAKE it competitive for the B1G? Coaches tend to be the identity of their programs. But they are not the program itself. Criticizing an underperforming coach is NOT being disloyal to the team. Wanting better for the program isn't disowning the past.

You make some very valid points.
I am of the mind set that in order to achieve the best you have to first want the best.

It is true that Minn has never been an "elite" program. I thought that was suppose to change with
the hiring of Tubby Smith. He has to be the biggest name the Gophers have ever had yet he has not
brought the Gophers anywhere near where it was thought he would.

ANY criticism of Tubby is met with swift rebuke.

I think it is fair to say that in spite of the improvement he brought his first 2 years that last year and
this year, from where it looks to be headed, has been a disappointment.
It certainly appears that having the Gophers achieve and maintain mediocrity is about the best the
Gophers can hope for.

This is the 5th year of the Tubby era.
These are the players he picked and the system he wants and has his teams play.

If the current results are NOT what is acceptable, then how many seasons are enough?

I am of the mind set that in order to achieve the best you have to first want the best.

It is true that Minn has never been an "elite" program. I thought that was suppose to change with
the hiring of Tubby Smith. He has to be the biggest name the Gophers have ever had yet he has not

I think it is fair to say that in spite of the improvement he brought his first 2 years that last year and
It certainly appears that having the Gophers achieve and maintain mediocrity is about the best the
Gophers can hope for.

If the current results are NOT what is acceptable, then how many seasons are enough?
Reheat, serve. Reheat, serve. You my friend have issues.

Gophers can hope for.

I know it is difficult for those who judge the state of the program game by game and can't see beyond their nose. As I have said many times before, the sophomore class to be will take us dancing for the next 3 years. Until then I'm making liberal use of the ignore list for those who believe anonymous boards were created for them to whine like little children.

GO GOPHERS!

Gophers can hope for.

This may once again go on deaf ears, but I'll say it anyways. Most people agree with this to some extent (other than maybe the comment about maintaining mediocrity). You say any criticism of Tubby is met with swift rebuke. This is the same reaction by some whenever someone tries to be positive no matter how bad things get. No matter how much you or others try to convince everyone, that doesn't mean people are okay with being mediocre.

What frustrates me with some posters here is:
1) There are those who only show up when we lose, and then act like they're such great fans because they "demand more." When we win, they are no where to be found or will never say anything positive.
2) There are those who don't bring anything new to the discussion. Its the same thing over and over: "Tubby sucks, he doesn't know what he's doing, he can't recruit, blah, blah, blah." We get it.

Some people don't like Tubby or don't think he will succeed. That's fine. But a lot of people understand that he's going to be here for at least another year, probably longer. Bitching and moaning about the same thing over and over does nothing. It gets old. That's why people respond the way they do.

If people don't speak up and voice displeasure Tubby will be here as long as he wants. Chances are he will sign an extension after this season. Then it is too late. That is why speaking up now is critical. He has done nothing to warrant an extension. Why give him one? Just wait. If they said we are going to wait, some might be more patient.

minngg said:
If people don't speak up and voice displeasure Tubby will be here as long as he wants. Chances are he will sign an extension after this season. Then it is too late. That is why speaking up now is critical. He has done nothing to warrant an extension. Why give him one? Just wait. If they said we are going to wait, some might be more patient.
LOL and little Minngg speaking up about something he knows nothing about (college coaching). Your opinions on Tubby are so foolish.

LOL and little Minngg speaking up about something he knows nothing about (college coaching). Your opinions on Tubby are so foolish.

I know our Big Ten win/loss record since Tubby got here. I have facts, you have hopes and dreams.

minngg said:
I know our Big Ten win/loss record since Tubby got here. I have facts, you have hopes and dreams.
I'm sure when Tubby turns this around you will disappear like you do after every Gopher win. Tubby will sign an extension and you will be miserable!

So bitching and complaining about the same stuff over and over on a message board will do that, huh? Learn something new everyday.

So bitching and complaining about the same stuff over and over on a message board will do that, huh? Learn something new everyday.
I am learning something new every day. I learned that stating the obvious isn't always enough for some people. I learned that mediocrity is acceptable for some people. I never just come on here and start threads to fire Tubby. Fact is, I don't want him fired, but I sure as heck don't want him extended after this season. But, if they don't extend him, it will hurt recruiting. An area where we are already struggling IMO. So what is the answer?

What you say is "stating the obvious" is, in fact, just your opinion. You say he can't coach anymore and we have no chance at being successful with him. That's perfectly fine, that's your opinion. But saying the same thing over and over and over is why people get on you. Then you come back with, "well I guess you just accept mediocrity".

This next point seems to be dismissed by some on here all the time so I'll type it in all caps: JUST BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE HAVEN'T GIVEN UP ON TUBBY, DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE OKAY WITH BEING MEDIOCRE OR HAPPY WITH WHERE WE'RE AT RIGHT NOW AS A PROGRAM. You believe we will never be more than average under him, that's fine. Others believe we could be better than that. It's really not the complicated.

Top Bottom