Jahlil Okafor

Reaction score
I heard that Okafor is going where ever Tyus is going... if Tyus comes here will we get Okafor too? If we do, final four here we come.

"package deals" rarely actually happen. So I wouldn't bank on it. If tyus said he was going to Tennessee Tech I can't imagine he'd follow.

It's a nice dream to have, but I'd say tyus and Vaughn is more likely than tyus and okafor. (All three would be incredible though lol)

Tyus is easily my number 1, but vaughn is a stud. I'd love to have him on the team as well.

"package deals" rarely actually happen. So I wouldn't bank on it. If tyus said he was going to Tennessee Tech I can't imagine he'd follow.

It's a nice dream to have, but I'd say tyus and Vaughn is more likely than tyus and okafor. (All three would be incredible though lol)

Tyus is easily my number 1, but vaughn is a stud. I'd love to have him on the team as well.

Exactly. Players plan to be package deals fairly often and it rarely happens. If it does happen it would obviously be incredible though, but I'm not even going to spend time thinking about it. We really need to get at least one or the other between Tyus and Rashad. Both would be amazing. I hope they realize how good of a backcourt they could form together here and how good the team could be.

No Chance

What would possibly make Tyus Jones want to play for the U?
Best preparation for the NBA? - no
Player friendly system? - no
National exposure? - no
Chance to win a championship? - no
Play with other 4/5 star recruits? - no
Close to home? - yes

tjgesquire said:
Best preparation for the NBA? - no
National exposure? - no
Chance to win a championship? - no
Play with other 4/5 star recruits? - no
Close to home? - yes

Kris Humphries got to the NBA from the U. So did rickert. Andrew goudelock went pro from college of charleston. School doesn't matter for going pro as much these days.

You could make that same checklist for Andre McDonald, Phillip Nelson, Jonah Pirsig, etc on the football side

It worked for football to have a bunch of guys commit together to help advance the program. Maybe tyus and Vaughn make the same commitment to their home town school?

He is going to Duke...

My intial guess would be Duke or MSU (I'd hope for Duke as it isn't a B1G school though)

However, Tubby has landed every MN prospect he's wanted. There is also still tons of time left, he is only a sophmore, for things to change. Luckily, Vaughn is a very good player as well and although it would suck to miss on Tyus, if they land Vaughn I'd be extremely happy.

Who is gonna fill out the rest of the class if we only get Vaughn? We have 4 scholarships...

If everything falls perfectly for the gophers, and we all know it absolutely will not... This could be our starting lineup for the 2014-2015 season.

1. Tyus Jones - Freshmen
2. Andre Hollins - Senior
3. Joe Coleman - Senior
4. Jahlil Okafor - Freshmen
5. Mo Walker - Senior

Our bench could be:

6. Rashad Vaughn - Freshmen
7. Oto Osenieks - Senior
8. Elliot Eliason - Senior
9. Wally Ellenson - Junior
10. Charles Buggs - Junior
11. Andre Ingram - Senior
12. Whoever Tubby adds in 2013-2014
13. Whoever Tubby adds in 2013-2014
14. Walk On
15. Walk On

I would like to see another scholarship open up for Ian Theisen who is also in Tyus's class. We are being hypothetical here, so I am assuming we get the first 3. Perhaps somebody listed leaves the program and an offer can open up for him.

To me that looks like a Syracuse on steroids. An incredibly deep bench and a starting 5 that would be able to hang with anyone in the nation. A man can dream right?

And then after that final 4 run which would inevitably follow... We would have 8 scholarships open after our seniors leave and Tyus and Jahlil go to the NBA. The caliber of recruit we could go after would be MUCH higher, and that one season could set us up to be a national power for years to come.

Just a little fun I had thinking about what would happen if ALL the "what ifs" fell in to place. They won't, but what if? Haha

Being realistic, Rashad Vaugn is a MUST get for the Gophers. Tyus would be nice, and Jahlil would just be the cherry in top. If not Tyus and Jahlil, then I like Ian Theisen.

Who is gonna fill out the rest of the class if we only get Vaughn? We have 4 scholarships...

We actually only have 3... Chris Halvorsen is a walk on, and Mo Walker is redshirting.

If everything falls perfectly for the gophers, and we all know it absolutely will not... This could be our starting lineup for the 2014-2015 season.

1. Tyus Jones - Freshmen
2. Andre Hollins - Senior
3. Joe Coleman - Senior
4. Jahlil Okafor - Freshmen
5. Mo Walker - Senior

Our bench could be:

6. Rashad Vaughn - Freshmen
7. Oto Osenieks - Senior
8. Elliot Eliason - Senior
9. Wally Ellenson - Junior
10. Charles Buggs - Junior
11. Andre Ingram - Senior
12. Whoever Tubby adds in 2013-2014
13. Whoever Tubby adds in 2013-2014
14. Walk On
15. Walk On

I would like to see another scholarship open up for Ian Theisen who is also in Tyus's class. We are being hypothetical here, so I am assuming we get the first 3. Perhaps somebody listed leaves the program and an offer can open up for him.

To me that looks like a Syracuse on steroids. An incredibly deep bench and a starting 5 that would be able to hang with anyone in the nation. A man can dream right?

And then after that final 4 run which would inevitably follow... We would have 8 scholarships open after our seniors leave and Tyus and Jahlil go to the NBA. The caliber of recruit we could go after would be MUCH higher, and that one season could set us up to be a national power for years to come.

Just a little fun I had thinking about what would happen if ALL the "what ifs" fell in to place. They won't, but what if? Haha

Being realistic, Rashad Vaugn is a MUST get for the Gophers. Tyus would be nice, and Jahlil would just be the cherry in top. If not Tyus and Jahlil, then I like Ian Theisen.

Andre Ingram is not a freshman this year, he will graduate with Welch.

Best preparation for the NBA? - no - Tubby is known for coaching solid point guards. He has probably coached more pass first point guards that get to the NBA than any other position. Also, Tyus would be playing in the best conference in basketball.
National exposure? - no - MSP is a plenty big market. Also, I'm pretty sure the Big Ten gets on ESPN and CBS more than any other conference. The better teams in the conference obviously get on national television more, but if we got Tyus we would be one of the best teams in the B1G.
Chance to win a championship? - no - We would definitely have a shot at the B1G title and I wouldn't totally rule us out of a shot at going deep in the tourney. Think about it:
PG Tyus
Wing Coleman
Wing Dre Hollins
PF Big Mo
C Elliot

With some solid bench players: Oto (sr.), Ellenson (jr.), Buggs (jr.)

Incredibly experienced lineup with excellent ball handling, athleticism, penetration, and shooting.

Play with other 4/5 star recruits? - no - Everyone other than EE would be a former ESPNU100 player.
Close to home? - yes - Keep in mind he is really close to his family and has a good relationship with them. His brother is also apparently a big Gophers fan

Andre Ingram is not a freshman this year, he will graduate with Welch.
gophersports.com has him listed as a freshmen. My bad. Then change that spot another player for the 2013-2014 class.

Top Bottom