Andre Ingram

Stan

Reaction score
Is this guy THAT BAD that he never plays, especially in a game where we needed size? Why did we sign a JUCO if he has no shot of playing? He is Engen Nurumbi Part 2.

Is this guy THAT BAD that he never plays, especially in a game where we needed size? Why did we sign a JUCO if he has no shot of playing? He is Engen Nurumbi Part 2.

Looks like an error by Tubby. Problem is- he doesn't have that much size. For a kid to be a 6'6 PF you need to be built like a bull. He needs to spend a whole lot of time lifting in order to be effective at his size on this level. Think J'son Stamper here.

. ... He needs to spend a whole lot of time lifting. ...

I'd say that pretty much applies to the entire Gopher team. This is an honest question, is Tubby not a big believer in getting guys into the weightroom? The size (muscles, tone, etc.) and strength between the Gophers and Badgers was very noticeable. Even Wisconsin's guards look thick, and a lot of these guys when they came to Madison they were twigs. We lack bulk when you stack us up against the majority of the Big Ten.

Looks like an error by Tubby. Problem is- he doesn't have that much size. For a kid to be a 6'6 PF you need to be built like a bull. He needs to spend a whole lot of time lifting in order to be effective at his size on this level. Think J'son Stamper here.

I agree. You only sign Juco's if they're going to give you minutes, otherwise you sign a 4-5 year player or bank the schollie.

Well, probably wouldn't be so pronounced if Trevor hadn't went down. (I'm bringing up woulda, coulda, shoulda which I dislike. My apologies.) Referring to the SS post.

I'd say that pretty much applies to the entire Gopher team. This is an honest question, is Tubby not a big believer in getting guys into the weightroom? The size (muscles, tone, etc.) and strength between the Gophers and Badgers was very noticeable. Even Wisconsin's guards look thick, and a lot of these guys when they came to Madison they were twigs. We lack bulk when you stack us up against the majority of the Big Ten.

Good question.

Maybe we should ask Jason DeRusha.:)

We did out rebound them last night.

The weight training question would be good for the Monday night radio show!

I honestly don't think Tubby ever intended to play him much until next year.

I don't see amuch difference between Ingram this year and Dawson last year except that Dawson played more and he didn't use up a scholarship.

I honestly don't think Tubby ever intended to play him much until next year.

And why would he? Trevor was gonna get like 30+ mins. a game. He only picked him up essentially for this very scenario, in case of injury. I'm guessing he thought he'd get at least a LITTLE more out of him than he has though. Ingram hasn't looked that horrible, except his hands are really rough, and that's a problem in this offense when you can't handle the down low passes. He's had numerous opportunities for easy dunks slip through his hands.

Regarding players bulking up under Tubby, look at Rodney Williams from his first year to now. Or any of the big men for that matter. Ralph isn't big, but he put it on since his first year no doubt. Eliason's an obvious one. Oto's bulked up a bit as well. I hate to keep harping on this same theme in most of my posts, but with all the player movement, it's just hard to get a real judge on this type of thing with Tubby's program.

Am I correct in assuming that Ingram took the scholarship of Iverson when he decided to leave? Probably a situation where he should have held on to the open scholarship until this year but that's easy to say after the fact.

I'm guessing he was looking at Mo Walker probably not being ready, and not knowing for sure if EE would be ready to contribute. If Rodney Williams' transition to the 4-spot did not work very well, I think Ingram would be playing more.

Ingram hasn't looked bad when he has been in the game, not sure why he isn't seeing any minutes. I think he was insurance when Iverson left and Mbwake and Sampson were considering declaring for the draft.

Scholarships are for one year. We had an open scholarship with a late transfer and signed a juco who may not be back next year and will for sure be gone the year after next. Not exactly the worst choice in the world to take a chance on Ingram.

SelectionSunday said:

First thing size doesn't always equate strength, it usually equates fat.

I'm not Sure what strategy tubby employs, but some athlete think the best way to get stronger at basketball is to play basketball. Get stronger by constantly pushing against a post player, etc. and that weight lifting is a waste of time for an athletic player (how often do you need to be able to do a bicep curl during a basketball gane?) there are also definitely workouts you can do that simulate basketball situations.

However, some coaches also believe just being strong and bench pressing etc makes you a stronger basketball player, even though youll never do that motion or lift during an actual game

Not sure what side I come down on here, I like a workout plan that best simulates game type situations but that gets more complicated and it is especially a lot of core work and gets you more lean strength than bulk strength.

Also depends on the system. For example, Kevin Love dropped a lot of weight to be able to run more. Also improved his jump shot. Gophers players don't necessarily need to get bigger, but then they need to be quicker and more mobile. Which last night, I think they were, we didn't exploit our advantage there enough IMO. Andre and Rodney especially should e able to get by any Badger defender. There was a play where Andre had red head on him and he didn't touch the ball. That is inexcusable. You have to recognize your advantages and mismatches and use them.

Ingram hasn't looked bad when he has been in the game, not sure why he isn't seeing any minutes. I think he was insurance when Iverson left and Mbwake and Sampson were considering declaring for the draft.

That's how I recall it also. JUCO's often surprise in their second season. I'm hoping we can get minutes from him next year.

I'm not Sure what strategy tubby employs, but some athlete think the best way to get stronger at basketball is to play basketball. Get stronger by constantly pushing against a post player, etc. and that weight lifting is a waste of time for an athletic player (how often do you need to be able to do a bicep curl during a basketball gane?) there are also definitely workouts you can do that simulate basketball situations.

However, some coaches also believe just being strong and bench pressing etc makes you a stronger basketball player, even though youll never do that motion or lift during an actual game

Not sure what side I come down on here, I like a workout plan that best simulates game type situations but that gets more complicated and it is especially a lot of core work and gets you more lean strength than bulk strength.

Also depends on the system. For example, Kevin Love dropped a lot of weight to be able to run more. Also improved his jump shot. Gophers players don't necessarily need to get bigger, but then they need to be quicker and more mobile. Which last night, I think they were, we didn't exploit our advantage there enough IMO. Andre and Rodney especially should e able to get by any Badger defender. There was a play where Andre had red head on him and he didn't touch the ball. That is inexcusable. You have to recognize your advantages and mismatches and use them.

I hope this is a joke? ALL basketball players should get in the weight room and lift. How many bicep curls do you do in any sport?! A stronger upper body and core helps players finish at the rim among a variety of other things. Overall strength of a player is HUGE, even for basketball. Believe it or not it goes even past the physical part, there is a mental aspect to it as well.

MOST elite players are ripped! That comes from other means other than just playing basketball. Look at NBA with Lebron, Rose, Westbrook, Amare...etc.

As far as our players looking smaller....JT is extremely ripped and has been since he played at BSM (he is much bigger now but he was still ripped). Besides, JT is a senior. The Gophers are still very young and I believe we will see their strength improve over time.

mnballa2121 said:
I hope this is a joke? ALL basketball players should get in the weight room and lift. How many bicep curls do you do in any sport?! A stronger upper body and core helps players finish at the rim among a variety of other things. Overall strength of a player is HUGE, even for basketball. Believe it or not it goes even past the physical part, there is a mental aspect to it as well.

MOST elite players are ripped! That comes from other means other than just playing basketball. Look at NBA with Lebron, Rose, Westbrook, Amare...etc.

As far as our players looking smaller....JT is extremely ripped and has been since he played at BSM (he is much bigger now but he was still ripped). Besides, JT is a senior. The Gophers are still very young and I believe we will see their strength improve over time.

Muscle weighs more by volume than fat. Therefore, if you have two guys both 6-3 and 200 pounds, the smaller looking one is stronger the bigger is fatter.

And yes, how many times do you do a curl motion in basketball? Or a tricep pull down in basketball? There are trainers who believe you get your strength on the basketball court and doing basketball specific workouts.

From a basketball training website:

"Basketball players are not Olympic lifters, Powerlifters, or bodybuilders… so they shouldn’t train as such. A basketball player’s strength program needs to reflect the specific demands of the sport. The goal is to produce better basketball players, not better ‘weight lifters.’ Being able to bench press 300 lbs. has very little direct value in basketball. Players should use a variety of exercises and modalities, should work in all 3 planes of motion, should work through a full (pain free) range of motion, and should work every muscle group (and joint) in the body. They should aim to work the front/back & left/right sides of their body equally to help reduce muscular imbalances. Players should be able to control their own bodyweight and perform functional movements (like the squat, lunge, and push-up) correctly."

This is the part I am responding to. I am simply stating that working out in the gym is a must. Lifting weights is a must. I know you do not have to be a bodybuilder, but you cannot gain a lot of strength simply by playing more basketball.

I saw a juco video of him on a uncontested fast break and he looked down at the ball while dribbling and i thought he may have skill issues. He was not highly rated opr recruited and his juco coach seemed lukewarm on him being a big ten player.

Top Bottom