Not surprisingly, RPI starting to take a big hit with all the (home) losses

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The RPI isn't the be-all and end-all, but noticeable nonetheless is that last night's loss dropped the Gophers to ninth among the 9 B1G teams at least marginally in contention for a NCAA bid. Through Thursday's games. ...

#4 Ohio State (lock)
#7 Michigan State (lock)
#15 Michigan (lock)
#16 Indiana (lock)
#26 Wisconsin (lock)
#37 Northwestern (trending up the bubble, and the schedule is manageable)
#45 Illinois (trending down the bubble, and the schedule isn't easy)
#61 Purdue (the B1G's most likely "true" bubble team come Selection Sunday)
#63 Gophers (trending down & on life support but with opportunities galore)

Still think 7 bids will end up being the number for the B1G, though as few as 6 and as many as 8 remains possible.

Yep, gotta reel off a few here. Let's start Tuesday lol.

Playoffs!?!?!?!

Yep, gotta reel off a few here. Let's start Tuesday lol.

I think all this Tournament talk is delusion if we can't win some games here. You look at the accomplishments of typical teams that get at-large bids, and that's not us. The one win over Indiana notwithstanding, I don't see it. I love the Gophers, but let's be realistic. I want us to be a legitimate tournament-caliber team, or some other team more deserving and more capable of winning a game there should go.

I think all this Tournament talk is delusion if we can't win some games here. You look at the accomplishments of typical teams that get at-large bids, and that's not us. The one win over Indiana notwithstanding, I don't see it. I love the Gophers, but let's be realistic. I want us to be a legitimate tournament-caliber team, or some other team more deserving and more capable of winning a game there should go.

Well said. Basically we've got 1 really good win (@ Indiana) and 2 decent ones (Illinois & Northwestern at home). Our nonconference schedule -- which full disclosure here I thought looked OK (but not great) at the start of the season -- is providing nothing other than 3 top-100 wins. Fortunately, relative to quite a few other bubble teams, that's good enough to stay in the conversation. But as you said, it's all moot without some late-season W's.

Well said. Basically we've got 1 really good win (@ Indiana) and 2 decent ones (Illinois & Northwestrn at home). Our nonconference schedule -- which full disclosure here I thought looked OK (but not great) at the start of the season -- is providing nothing other than 3 top-100 wins. Fortunately, relative to quite a few other bubble teams, that's good enough to stay in the conversation. But as you said, it's all moot without some late-season W's.

As I reflect on it, the upcoming murderers row of games has to be considered an opportunity.

As I reflect on it, the upcoming murderers row of games has to be considered an opportunity.

I agree. If you can start the conference season 0-4, and be in a position where taking the ones we should (Indiana, @Northwestern, Nebraska) as well as one of three from OSU, MSU, and @Wisconsin (Bucks and Sparta haven't looked nearly as invincible on the road, and from last night, I refuse to say that we can't beat Wisconsin at the Kohl Center) likely gets you into the tournament, you have to feel pretty good. We have what all bubble teams should want: I chance to show the country why we do or don't belong. No excuses time, we need the wins or we don't get to go dancing.

The RPI isn't the be-all and end-all, but noticeable nonetheless is that last night's loss dropped the Gophers to ninth among the 9 B1G teams at least marginally in contention for a NCAA bid. Through Thursday's games. ...

#4 Ohio State (lock)
#7 Michigan State (lock)
#15 Michigan (lock)
#16 Indiana (lock)
#26 Wisconsin (lock)
#37 Northwestern (trending up the bubble, and the schedule is manageable)
#45 Illinois (trending down the bubble, and the schedule isn't easy)
#61 Purdue (the B1G's most likely "true" bubble team come Selection Sunday)
#63 Gophers (trending down & on life support with opportunities galore)

Still think 7 bids will end up being the number for the B1G, though as few as 6 and as many as 8 remains possible.

RPI won't matter a bit in the end. Get to 9-9 or it's RIP-not RPI. If they get to 9-9 the RPI will be strong because they will have scored some big upsets in the process.

bga1 said:
RPI won't matter a bit in the end. Get to 9-9 or it's RIP-not RPI. If they get to 9-9 the RPI will be strong because they will have scored some big upsets in the process.

Exactly. Well said. Gotta win @Wis, OSU or MSU. Win one of those anyways and 8-10 may even enough although 9-9 would be best.

RPI is going to matter if we get to 8-10. Not sure how much beating the NUs and Indiana would help the overall RPI if those are the only wins. Beating OSU or MSU and getting to 8-10 might end up being comparable to 9-9 with the RPI boost.

Beating OSU or MSU and getting to 8-10 might end up being comparable to 9-9 with the RPI boost.

Agreed.

Beating either one of our remaining top-10 (RPI) opponents (given a preference it'd be OSU). ... only then does 8-10 come into play absent major damage (getting to the semis) at the Big Ten Tournament. Beating either OSU or MSU is almost like counting 2 wins. It's the equivalent of a Seton Hall (bubble) beating a Syracuse, an NC State (bubble) beating a Duke or Carolina, an Iowa State (no longer a bubble) beating a Kansas (which the Cyclones did), an Ole Miss (bubble) beating a Kentucky.

Top Bottom