WILLBGOPHER

Reaction score
Would the Bagers be able to score more than 30 points without Taylor?

I don't think i have ever seen a team so reliant on 1 person for their offense. They are unable to get anything on offense, then go to the high pick and roll every time. Taylor is either able to score, or set someone else up due to help defense.

With that being said, drey absolutely shut him down the last 10 minutes of the second half - forcing a couple of TO's and blocking that shot. Very impressive - he needs to start and play 30 minutes/game.

I'd rather have one reliable scorer than none, which is where we are at. I can't tell you on a night-by-night basis who our leading scorer or go-to scorer will be - and that's a problem.

I agree on your analysis of Hollins last night - it was definitely his best game as a Gopher.

Go Gophers!!

Concur with Bleed. It's nice to have balance, but I'd rather have a reliable scorer, a grand Poo-Bah. Someone you can count on most every night.

Not a black hole kind of Poo-Bah, but a Draymond Green kind of Poo-Bah, a Jared Sullinger or William Buford, a John Shurna or Drew Crawford, a Tim Frazier, a Robbie Hummel, a Jordan Taylor, etc.

A Trevor Mbakwe.

With some exceptions, all truly good teams need a lead dog. We don't have one this season. Stating the obvious, I guess.

I don't think i have ever seen a team so reliant on 1 person for their offense. They are unable to get anything on offense, then go to the high pick and roll every time. Taylor is either able to score, or set someone else up due to help defense.

With that being said, drey absolutely shut him down the last 10 minutes of the second half - forcing a couple of TO's and blocking that shot. Very impressive - he needs to start and play 30 minutes/game.

He'll have some ups and down the remainder of the year but I totally agree with this- play him more and more. It's time to start developing our own Jordan Taylor and Dre has a shot to do that in coming years. It's an odd year. At the start fo this year it looked like the strength of this team would be a powerful front line of Sampson, Williams and Mbakwe with the achilles heel being the guard play. Sampson has been a bust, Mbakwe injured and only Williams has blossomed. Now I feel a lot better about our guard play going into next year: Hollins, Hollins, Armelin, Welch and Coleman give us a good core if they all continue to improve.

I'd rather have one reliable scorer than none, which is where we are at. I can't tell you on a night-by-night basis who our leading scorer or go-to scorer will be - and that's a problem.

I agree on your analysis of Hollins last night - it was definitely his best game as a Gopher.

Go Gophers!!

Agree with the go to guy. I also think depth is very important. I don't think Wisconsin could win a game without Taylor. I guess they aren't Minnesota, and don't have to worry about losing their best players to season ending injuries....

Agree with the go to guy. I also think depth is very important. I don't think Wisconsin could win a game without Taylor. I guess they aren't Minnesota, and don't have to worry about losing their best players to season ending injuries....

Amazingly Bo will patch together a 10-8 season with that steaming heap of a roster (sans Taylor) next year.

bga1 said:
Amazingly Bo will patch together a 10-8 season with that steaming heap of a roster (sans Taylor) next year.

Don't they have a pretty good recruiting class next year though?

Don't they have a pretty good recruiting class next year though?

They signed the Dekker kid who is a 5-star guy. Will be interesting to see, Bo generally doesn't like to play freshmen.

I've been saying it for awhile, I think Welch and Andre Hollins need to play together more often. At this point, I'd start Andre over Coleman.

A couple years ago Ohio State was pretty mediocre when Evan Turner was out for a few games. That team wasn't that special without him.

And then blaming their coach exclusively for lack of success and making comparisons to other teams that haven't had anywhere near the bad luck that we have had.

A couple years ago Ohio State was pretty mediocre when Evan Turner was out for a few games. That team wasn't that special without him.

And then blaming their coach exclusively for lack of success and making comparisons to other teams that haven't had anywhere near the bad luck that we have had.

They even lost to the Gophers without Turner :rolleyes:

Wisconsin would still win a bunch of games without Taylor...they'd just plug in someone like Gasser or Brust and they'd produce similar numbers and wins. its Bo Ryan's system and coaching that creates players like Taylor.

They signed the Dekker kid who is a 5-star guy. Will be interesting to see, Bo generally doesn't like to play freshmen.

The guy who I believe is UW's best current freshman, Jarrod Uthoff, is redshirting this season, as is fellow freshman George Marshall. I think Marshall gets plugged in as the starter at PG next season, and the other four starters (Gasser, Bruesewitz, Evans and Berggren) remain the same. The front court will be relied upon much more than it is this year, as the three starters will be seniors and they'll have a pair of talented newcomers in Dekker and Uthoff. Kaminsky will get minutes as well. With those six guys, I think Bo will play bigger more often next season, as his tendency of late has been to play a lot of 3-guard lineups. Gasser and Brust will need to score more consistently next season, but I think most of Taylor's production will be replaced by frontcourt guys.

Question for UWOle

How and where does Jimmy Jackson's kid fit into the mix? Do they expect him to be a contributor next year, or is he more of a project? Thanks in advance.

Wisconsin would still win a bunch of games without Taylor...they'd just plug in someone like Gasser or Brust and they'd produce similar numbers and wins. its Bo Ryan's system and coaching that creates players like Taylor.

And that's amazing coaching. Ugly to watch but consistently effective.

How and where does Jimmy Jackson's kid fit into the mix? Do they expect him to be a contributor next year, or is he more of a project? Thanks in advance.

From what I have seen, he will probably be a role player that comes in to play some tough defense. If George Marshall does not step up and take the point guard role, Traevon Jackson may get more minutes, but it sounds as if George Marshall is looking really solid. However, since Traevon plays good defense and seems to buy into Bo's system, you never really know since those are the type of guys that can flourish under Bo.

Traevon got some meaningful minutes early in the season, but I can't remember the last time he got any real time. He's kind of a utility guard, as he can handle it and play a little bit of PG and can be a defensive stopper with his strong body. I don't know that I'd call him a project, as he does not have all that much upside. I think he can make some contributions before his time in Madison is done, but I don't know that he'll ever be a primary guy.

Based on the reviews of Marshall thus far, I expect him to move into the starting lineup next season as a redshirt freshman. Gasser would be the other starter, and Brust the first guard off the bench. I can see Jackson getting some spots minutes as the 4th guard, but I think is going to try to play a little bigger next season will all the capable guys he'll have in the frontcourt.

The following season, Bronson Koenig (and hopefully Matt Thomas) will join Marshall, Gasser, Brust and Jackson in the backcourt. I think Bronson will be too good to keep off the court, even as a freshman, and he could move into the 4th guard role ahead of Jackson.

In Traevon's senior season, Marshall will still be there, and Koenig (and, again, hopefully Thomas) will be sophomores. Assuming he sticks around, Traevon could have a larger role that year. He seems like a program guy who can make some spot contributions along the way. Sorry for the rambling answer, but that's what I see at the moment.

It's possible he's improved, but I wasn't very impressed with Traevon when he was in high school. Dekker will be hard to keep off the floor though even as a true freshman. He's very good at a lot of different things. Could maybe even be the Badgers best player right away as a freshman. I haven't seen George Marshall a lot, but he looked solid when I did see him. Wisconsin will lose a lot when Taylor graduates, but unfortunately they are bringing in some guys who can play and if Marshall is ready they could be just as good next year.

Top Bottom